St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Paddle you are on the right track. But don't confuse fractures with porosity / permeability. There are fractures down deep in the earth but they are not counted on to flow a well. The porosity and permeability of the shale is. If they are not enough to flow a well that is why and when fracking comes into a well plan.

Veriform, I would like to see proof of what you are claiming before I believe what you are saying.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Vermiform, I would like to see proof of what you are claiming before I believe what you are saying.

I have none, other than personal experience living in an area with a ton of gas wells. However, if you are in the drilling and fracking business then I suspect you already know what I am talking about. :dogkeke:

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Oil companies will find water from sources they can use. But the way your statement reads is they will find whatever water from whatever source. Meaning it could be "bad" water??, I'm asking what you mean.

Oil companies want to use "good" water for fracking. They don't want just any water in their wells. If a water source is questionable, they will filter it before use in a frack operation. Just like people don't want bad water in their drinking water.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Sounds to me like Verm is talking about taking water they don't have permission to take. ie: Someones personal pond.

I hope not. But if they are, here is a news flash. Oil companies do not own water hauling companies. So if that is happening it's whatever water company that is being used in that areas fault. But I highly doubt that is happening. Unless people up there have ponds right next to roads that would make bringing in a 200 barrel tanker truck very easy. I would hate to be the driver of that truck standing there in the dead of night with a very loud suction pump on his truck going at full blast for about 30 minutes.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Oil companies will find water from sources they can use. But the way your statement reads is they will find whatever water from whatever source. Meaning it could be "bad" water??, I'm asking what you mean.

Oil companies want to use "good" water for fracking. They don't want just any water in their wells. If a water source is questionable, they will filter it before use in a frack operation. Just like people don't want bad water in their drinking water.

I'm referring to drilling and fracking, the WHOLE operation. When water sources run a little low or when they are under a time constraint, they will pull water from wherever it suits them, not just where they are "allowed" to.

You would not believe the **** these drilling crews pull, or maybe you would, being part of the industry. Not attacking you personally, I'm just saying that time is money when dropping a gas well and they tend to cut corners and "forget" agreements with local municipalities when it suits them.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    I can see what you are saying, but again, oil companies buy water from a company that sets up a contract with a source of water. That source can be anyone or a town / city source.

I am not taking anything personally. I don't work in Louisiana, I just live here. I cannot vouch for any company that works in Louisiana. But on the same note I cannot say anything bad about them either.

I just wish people would consider the source of the information they choose to believe.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I can see what you are saying, but again, oil companies buy water from a company that sets up a contract with a source of water.

Some have interests in everything, from the water source companies, to the waste water haulers (salt water), to the hotshotting companies that spring up and even the inevitable impromptu storage lots. Everyone has a finger in some other pie. It's a moot point though because they are rarely held responsible when the revenues are so high. It doesn't matter who did what, it will get glossed over unless a well goes up, someone dies, or enough property damage is done to warrant sueing over. Then they will settle quickly and quietly.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I'm referring to drilling and fracking, the WHOLE operation. When water sources run a little low or when they are under a time constraint, they will pull water from wherever it suits them, not just where they are "allowed" to.

You would not believe the **** these drilling crews pull, or maybe you would, being part of the industry. Not attacking you personally, I'm just saying that time is money when dropping a gas well and they tend to cut corners and "forget" agreements with local municipalities when it suits them.

Do you know personally of this happening? Like Gunnut said, it's not the oil companies hauling the water, and the truck drivers could care less how long it takes them to get water..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Do you know personally of this happening? Like Gunnut said, it's not the oil companies hauling the water, and the truck drivers could care less how long it takes them to get water..

Yes I do.

But again, I'm not really trying to demonize the industry here. The industry is made up of humans and sometimes humans do stupid ****. Especially when time is money and you are running behind. Maybe some cases are accidental, but I guarantee most are the "wink wink, nudge nudge" type.

One thing for certain, It is VERY HYPOCRITICAL for me to complain about ANY of it. I'm sitting on my ass now and living off of the royalties. I should be the last one allowed to complain about any of it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Jack do you know what came first. Was it the city or Fort Worth? Or was it the wells drilled in that area?

I know which one came first.

Both wells and houses have been there for longer than I've been alive, and I'd assume the wells were first and houses followed as people wanted to live closer to the work, but I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion we were having about the claims that writer made in her paper.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Good point Jack. And I am just assuming you are over 20, if I am right then those wells and houses have been in existence for at least that long. The industry and the people are still thriving, the people were brought there by the oil industry. They came to work, saw they could make a good living so they settled there. It's very relevant to this entire thread. The reporter, in all her wisdom, has actually given the oil business a big positive mark. Fort Worth has survived all this fracking and has grown as a community because of it. No oil business = no Fort Worth.

Look at the big picture man, it's right there in front of you, but you are missing it because your mind is clouded in negativity.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Yes I do.

But again, I'm not really trying to demonize the industry here. The industry is made up of humans and sometimes humans do stupid ****. Especially when time is money and you are running behind. Maybe some cases are accidental, but I guarantee most are the "wink wink, nudge nudge" type.

One thing for certain, It is VERY HYPOCRITICAL for me to complain about ANY of it. I'm sitting on my ass now and living off of the royalties. I should be the last one allowed to complain about any of it.

So you personally know of an operator willingly and intentionally sourcing water from an illegal source? I'll bet there are either circumstances you are unaware of, arrangements you are unaware of, or the operator was unaware of the activities of the contractor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom