Stupid Louisiana Knife Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Neither do I, but I do see where it says that it doesn't prohibit LEO from possessing them. So, if there is nothing saying they are illegal, why say that it shall not prohibit LEO?

I'm trying to clear the air on some common misconceptions about knives in our state. I'm revisiting the subject, because of a conversation I had at work today.

Without digging into it more, I couldn't tell you what the legislative intent of subsection J was. Honestly, it seems a bit redundant based on a reading of the entire statute. Sometimes provisions like that are added to make a certain group happy, or in response to a specific event. Bottom line, it's not something that I would be worried about.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Without digging into it more, I couldn't tell you what the legislative intent of subsection J was. Honestly, it seems a bit redundant based on a reading of the entire statute. Sometimes provisions like that are added to make a certain group happy, or in response to a specific event. Bottom line, it's not something that I would be worried about.

I agree.

I do think that the law on automatics should be removed. By today's standards, auto's are not significantly faster to open, nor are they the strongest knife design out there. It's a little silly to be able to legally own a 5" folding knife, but can't own a 2" automatic.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Heads up guys. If you own a knife with a guthook/seatbelt cutter or a folding seatbelt cutter (like the Benchmade Houdini), and you are not LEO, then you are in possession of an illegal "weapon."

Boy is that stupid. Since I'm not LEO, these knives are illegal for me to possess :rofl:

#Allseatbeltlivesmatter

Why do you hate kids so much? Obviously this law was made to protect the children. You should get on board and stop hating kids :)

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    It's sad a forum has to discuss what a law means.

I'm glad the conclusion of it being legal was determined. Because if not, I would have broken the law many times while on shift in Louisiana.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    display

The only banned knives in Louisiana are switchblades (EVEN FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT). However, if you are a law enforcement officer, you might be able to get an automatic opening knife because there is an exemption for *rescue knives* in the law.

In short... a Law Enforcement Officer can possess an "Automatic" knife if it has at least one "rescue" feature. It is not saying "Rescue Knives" are illegal.

I believe the OP is reading it from another angle and not from the originally intended perspective. Which would be directed at LEO being allowed to carry Automatic Rescue Knives.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    display

The only banned knives in Louisiana are switchblades (EVEN FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT). However, if you are a law enforcement officer, you might be able to get an automatic opening knife because there is an exemption for *rescue knives* in the law.

In short... a Law Enforcement Officer can possess an "Automatic" knife if it has at least one "rescue" feature. It is not saying "Rescue Knives" are illegal.

I believe the OP is reading it from another angle and not from the originally intended perspective. Which would be directed at LEO being allowed to carry Automatic Rescue Knives.

Lets see the LRS for blade length concealed pocket knife

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Lets see the LRS for blade length concealed pocket knife

Louisiana has no restrictions on blade length.

Unless you are a LEO carrying an automatic knife with at least one blade that can be used to free people by cutting their seat belt, and on that specific knife, there shall be no blade longer than 5".

You can legally carry any blade length folding knife, so long as it's not automatic, and it isn't concealed.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Louisiana has no restrictions on blade length.

Unless you are a LEO carrying an automatic knife with at least one blade that can be used to free people by cutting their seat belt, and on that specific knife, there shall be no blade longer than 5".

You can legally carry any blade length folding knife, so long as it's not automatic, and it isn't concealed.

Dave I've never seen one, my post was about the last thing on that picture about 3" or above being illegal in La.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    *Hint* I don't know a single LEO (I know quite a few ;)) That give a crap if a person has an automatic knife, let alone a rescue hook. Rescue hook knives are not illegal in LA, as Jcypress pointed out. Why the legislature felt the need to add that little shall not prohibit blurb is beyond me.

If I came across a person with an automatic knife I'd probably be more concerned with asking if I could finger-f*** it than arresting them for it.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    *Hint* I don't know a single LEO (I know quite a few ;)) That give a crap if a person has an automatic knife, let alone a rescue hook. Rescue hook knives are not illegal in LA, as Jcypress pointed out. Why the legislature felt the need to add that little shall not prohibit blurb is beyond me.

:thumbsup:

PappaDoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2016
    Iowa Louisiana
    Right on point, retired Paramedic and pushed the envelope the other direction, I carried an old Italian style switchblade (which I've had for 36 years) but according to "protocol" it was allowed for first responders to carry an "automatic knife", but I don't think mine was what they had in mind. Lawmakers make weird rules, open carry a 1911 but get busted for your knife?

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA

If I came across a person with an automatic knife I'd probably be more concerned with asking if I could finger-f*** it than arresting them for it.

Glad you don't know any, but I've met at least one in BR who would in his words prefer that no one carried those things, in reference to any pocket knife, auto or not.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I like when people tell you that you can't carry a knife with a blade longer than the width of your palm. Poor people with little hands

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    Its totally ridiculous that any knife is illegal. Its a damn knife. Its no inconceivable that i could be walking down the street with a gun in my pants and get busted for a knife in my pocket. The Louisiana knife laws need to be updated and done away with.

Top Bottom