Stupid Louisiana Knife Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I like when people tell you that you can't carry a knife with a blade longer than the width of your palm. Poor people with little hands

WhDxv1i.png

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In stead of saying this is dumb or stupid, how about contacting your Leg. guys and ask them to change the law. I have approached my Rep to allow those folks with CCW license to carry automatic knives where guns are not allowed as in church's and parades. It won't happen tomorrow but if you don't ask it will never happen.

Beauxdog

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    In stead of saying this is dumb or stupid, how about contacting your Leg. guys and ask them to change the law. I have approached my Rep to allow those folks with CCW license to carry automatic knives where guns are not allowed as in church's and parades. It won't happen tomorrow but if you don't ask it will never happen.

Beauxdog

While I agree pissing and moaning doesn't accomplish much. We shouldn't have to ask premission.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Beauxdog

I've already messaged Doug Ritter on the matter, and if you don't know who he is, you should.

His organization was able to convince Texas to allow autos, but as I was informed, Louisiana already has too many freedoms (compared to other states) and it isn't of concern to any politician.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    "Too many freedoms" ?! We are so lucky to have those brilliant politicians deciding how much freedom is too much for us low citizens to have. Who exactly said that little jewel?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hahaha nice.

Seriously though, I've given it plenty of thought and spoken with enough LEO's that it's one of those stupid laws that will never get pinned on you unless you are already in the event of breaking other laws. Even then, they won't give a hoot.

Regardless, this was all a discussion thread, because I don't own any autos for structural/mechanical reasons :D

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Dave_m Knife Rights has stepped in and started working to rewrite the switchblade with concealed permit law that one of our politicians proposed. I tried to email him and point him towards folks like Blake Migues who may be helpful. I don't think I got a response though.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave_m Knife Rights has stepped in and started working to rewrite the switchblade with concealed permit law that one of our politicians proposed. I tried to email him and point him towards folks like Blake Migues who may be helpful. I don't think I got a response though.

Knife Rights is the organization I was speaking about, with Doug Ritter. He's done a great deal for the knife community and I'm very grateful for that! I asked him months ago about any efforts in Louisiana, and was told it wasn't high on the priority list, to which I agreed. However, it's really refreshing to see that the steps are being taken to do something about the stupid laws we have.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    "Too many freedoms" ?! We are so lucky to have those brilliant politicians deciding how much freedom is too much for us low citizens to have. Who exactly said that little jewel?

I just noticed your post, so I'm a little late responding.

It was discussed at length on multiple knife forums around the time that Texas repealed the automatic knife law. A lot of folks had differing opinions on which state should be pushed into repealing laws, and when Louisiana was brought up, the members from out of state were against it, because we can pretty much do whatever we want in Louisiana, in regards to knife carry.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    In 16+ years, I've charged ONE person for a "switchblade," and it was only to go along with the gun and brass knuckles he was carrying concealed, and bragging about, in a bar, while intoxicated.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    In 16+ years, I've charged ONE person for a "switchblade," and it was only to go along with the gun and brass knuckles he was carrying concealed, and bragging about, in a bar, while intoxicated.

Sounds like he is just the pinnacle of stupid.

I've never had a burning desire to carry a switchblade. My assisted opening SOGs work just fine. No need for more.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sounds like he is just the pinnacle of stupid.

I've never had a burning desire to carry a switchblade. My assisted opening SOGs work just fine. No need for more.

I only carry Emerson's, Slipjoints, or Customs. I strayed away from Spring Assisted knives a long time ago. Waved knives are faster than Assisted Opening and Autos :thumbsup:

I would only carry an auto as a novelty. Most automatic knives are fairly weak designs anyhow.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I only carry Emerson's, Slipjoints, or Customs. I strayed away from Spring Assisted knives a long time ago. Waved knives are faster than Assisted Opening and Autos :thumbsup:

I would only carry an auto as a novelty. Most automatic knives are fairly weak designs anyhow.

I own one but don't carry it. Any time I order anything tacti-cool or fun related off the internet, I ceremoniously open it with my OTF. I've gotten to where I will put off opening something until I find my knife. It's usually hiding behind/under my keyboard..........

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    This entire thread is BS.
    Nowhere in La RS 14:95 does it state that owning a "Rescue Knife" is illegal. It does state who is exempt and allowed to own, then it clearly states that no blade of a "Rescue Knife" knife shall exceed 5 inches. The max legal length thing is nothing new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom