Stupid Things You See at Grocery Stores

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    I know the story.

The problem is that Vlasic should have said;

"Hey Wal-Mart"

2up8rw9.jpg

Our premium HUGE FREAKING GALLON of Pickles aren't worth having in your store.

....but that's not what they did....and now you can still buy Vlasic Pickles in Wal-Mart.

So I don't pity Vlasic. Don't bitch, then take their money for your product.

Problem was, that wasn't how the deal started. They had an agreed price. And they sold a **** ton of pickles. So many that Wally World said , let's drop the price and sell more. At this point, it was too late. They were literally selling pickles for less than it cost them to produce. And you are correct, they could have said nope. But for a struggling company, any business is sometimes better than no business

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Nothing new about that. Sears did that for decades. The manufacturers' greed overrides their good judgment. Wanna play in the bigs, the pitches are fast and hard.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I just cannot let this one get by with just a loud chuckle.

GM, did the abhorrent breeding mess that did this, at least have the courtesy to put the cover back on the pot? :mamoru:

And please tell me you live NO WHERE near Prairieville!

Yes, they were polite enough to put the lid back on the pot. And this was at a walmasrt in houston on 1960 and walters rd. It was a choice walmart....I'll never forget how serene it was watching the crows take wing before me, abandoning their discarded fast food refuse as I shuffled thought the parking lots towards the blue gates under the eye's of the smiling one.

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    I am still amused by the condoms being behind the counter next to the baby formula, come on.....take your pick, use one or the other.

The condoms and K-Y in Wal-Mart on O'Neal lane in BR are locked in the little boxes that have to be opened by the cashier at check out. I guess they are frequently shoplifted items..........?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    When I need to enter the door to the underworld aka Wally-World, I usually park in the back by the auto service bays where there is always a parking spot and stealthily enter the underworld back there. The basic configuration of a Super Wal-Mart allows me easy access to the crap I am needing to get in desperation; fishing, hunting, auto, electronics; while allowing me to keep my interaction with dirt bags to a minimum. :D

Me too. Not to mention at the Prairieville store the Automotive back entrance is close to the ammo display. :)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Where the money stays; and whether it benefits your community or not.

The best most in your face example are the big chain restaurants eg. Olive Garden, Outback, Chili's, etc. They spend huge amounts of money to advertise and bring the masses in. And then the masses flock in. They are doing well

Here's where it matters. Other than the location's general manager or any other upper management, the jobs are basically low pay across the board. So, those employees won't contribute to the local economy with any meaningful impact. In other words, they won't really be buying and spending the type of money that would benefit THEIR local community.

Just about every one of these companies home offices are not from here (as an example). So other than the sales taxes, and property taxes (if they aren't exempt or have lucrative tax incentives to be here), all of the money goes back to whichever state they are domiciled.

Now here is the biggest killer. Like Wal-Mart, these companies have their own distribution warehouses that are for the most part; out of state. They buy what they will sell and ship in from out of the state. So in essence; no local businesses will benefit from their needed supplies to operate here. In the restaurant example'; no local produce, no local meats, no local paper products, no local seafood, etc., etc., etc. Those monies are not kept here; where they would eventually trickle down to local economy.

From there it's the domino effect.

Now remember, I am a Freedomist and a Capitalist! Spend your money when and where you want; but don't ever believe it doesn't matter where you do.

here's my problem with that:

It wasn't "shop small, shop local"

What was said was basically "anywhere but wallmart"

So:
    How exactly is it going to help if I go to Target instead!?!

I already stated I shop locally if I can.
    I MUCH perfer to get my strawberries straight from the farm, and my corn, and my cukes from my garden.
    I try to buy clothing made in the USA (have to be careful now, some Danner boots are not) both to support my country/industry, and because of superior quality. (or I won't buy it)

But I do Not see walking into store "B" who lets fact it.... Isn't doing anything more for the "local economy" and paying more for the product that came off the same assembly line in china.

Oh, and FYI: Bentonville Arkansas is a hell of a lot closser to "local" than Minneapolis Minnesota (Target)!
    Family dollar is Charlott NC
    Albertsons: Boisie Idaho
    Yep.... "good local companies" :rolleyes:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    here's my problem with that:

It wasn't "shop small, shop local"

What was said was basically "anywhere but wallmart"

So:
    How exactly is it going to help if I go to Target instead!?!

I already stated I shop locally if I can.
    I MUCH perfer to get my strawberries straight from the farm, and my corn, and my cukes from my garden.
    I try to buy clothing made in the USA (have to be careful now, some Danner boots are not) both to support my country/industry, and because of superior quality. (or I won't buy it)

But I do Not see walking into store "B" who lets fact it.... Isn't doing anything more for the "local economy" and paying more for the product that came off the same assembly line in china.

Oh, and FYI: Bentonville Arkansas is a hell of a lot closser to "local" than Minneapolis Minnesota (Target)!
    Family dollar is Charlott NC
    Albertsons: Boisie Idaho
    Yep.... "good local companies" :rolleyes:

But using my example and yours in concert; one of them could buy more from local vendors/suppliers? The difference could be razor thin, but it is an option. :dunno:

I get your point, however. Stores competing to sell me Christmas decorations made in Christmas Town, China <yes a real place that makes 80% of the worlds Christmas crap or some crazy percentage like that :mamoru:, really make no difference to me.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    But using my example and yours in concert; one of them could buy more from local vendors/suppliers? The difference could be razor thin, but it is an option. :dunno:

I get your point, however. Stores competing to sell me Christmas decorations made in Christmas Town, China <yes a real place that makes 80% of the worlds Christmas crap or some crazy percentage like that :mamoru:, really make no difference to me.

When you figure it out.... You let me know.

I've been known to hit up one place and only buy what's good/local, and then hit chinamart on my way back picking up the rest.

Of anything I feel it encourages local sourcing, and I'm not paying unnecessarily (yes, I count gas) for the same product.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When you figure it out.... You let me know.

I've been known to hit up one place and only buy what's good/local, and then hit chinamart on my way back picking up the rest.

Of anything I feel it encourages local sourcing, and I'm not paying unnecessarily (yes, I count gas) for the same product.

I did figure it out! I have personal experience with my wares and which stores allow me to sell them as opposed to those that source out of state/country from proprietary distribution centers. Just like my example indicated.

Again, I am not bashing any of them. I just realize there is a difference in which of them provides more of an economic benefit (even if ever so slight), to my community, my neighbors, etc.

And my pocket book is first and foremost too!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'm confused:

Originally Posted by Emperor
    But using my example and yours in concert; one of them could buy more from local vendors/suppliers? The difference could be razor thin, but it is an option.

I get your point, however. Stores competing to sell me Christmas decorations made in Christmas Town, China <yes a real place that makes 80% of the worlds Christmas crap or some crazy percentage like that , really make no difference to me..

I did figure it out! I have personal experience with my wares and which stores allow me to sell them as opposed to those that source out of state/country from proprietary distribution centers. Just like my example indicated.

Again, I am not bashing any of them. I just realize there is a difference in which of them provides more of an economic benefit (even if ever so slight), to my community, my neighbors, etc.

And my pocket book is first and foremost too!

You go from not knowing, to knowing in the space of a single post.
    It seems your taking (I assume wallmart not selling your product and other stores doing so) as a statistical analisis of who buys what from where....?

There are many reasons any store/company might or might not carry a product.

Also you say your pocketbook is first and foremost, right after talking about a fraction of a % bennifit to your local....?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm confused:

You go from not knowing, to knowing in the space of a single post.
    It seems your taking (I assume wallmart not selling your product and other stores doing so) as a statistical analisis of who buys what from where....?

There are many reasons any store/company might or might not carry a product.

Also you say your pocketbook is first and foremost, right after talking about a fraction of a % bennifit to your local....?

But you are parsing! I was putting forth an argument that required something left to the imagination. Without typing a long drawn out explanation I chose to give a metaphorical reference. It makes no difference which one I sell. Like I said, I am not bashing any. And the simple answer is not as easy as a reason one may of may not carry a product! If one of them uses an outside source for something they all sell; it is a cost cutting measure in some way. Great! They benefit by selling the same product that the other guys sells. However, when their supply of goods (whatever it is), is brought in from out of state, they are not buying from local businesses, and thus are not benefitting the local community.

As for my last statement, let me say when it comes to my industry; if you don't buy from me! I don't buy from you as a general rule. I try to hold the line as best I can. But I have kids that like McDonalds too! :mamoru:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom