Submit copy of divorce decree along with your CCW permit application... seriously????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drmweaver2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Harahan, LA
    Just not my favorite week...
    On Friday, I went to the LA State Trooper's Office that deals with concealed weapons permits intending to fill out my application and turn in my paperwork (oops, forgot that I needed to take the class first....ah well, that's easy to fix). Then I ran into what will seemingly be a wall in this process for me.

The application form asks about marital status. Okay. I mark Divorced.

"Divorced", the form says?
    Then STOP!!!
    Do Not Pass Go.
    Do not proceed forward.
    "You need to submit a copy of your final divorce papers along with the other papers."

Um, what? Literally?!?!:eek3:

I don't have my divorce papers any longer. I was divorced in Okinawa back in the 1980s. If I wanted to get re-married, there are states which do not require copies of the divorce decree to get a marriage license. So, I don't have the Okinawa decree any more.

I have no idea how to get past this. The divorce was issued by Family Court in Naha, Okinawa (yes, it's recognized by all the States). But to be honest, I don't remember the exact day, month or year of the final decree, only that the court date was Xmas Eve one year! (The things we wish to forget!) And I certainly don't know where "the ex" is now or how to contact her to see if she still has her copy.

I can't imagine the bureaucratic logic of requiring copies of a divorce decree! What purpose could they serve to the State of Louisiana as far as issuance of a concealed weapons permit?:mad:

This is mainly a rant, but if anyone has any ideas, I have a beer in hand to enhance my reading and considering them.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    No experience with the divorce decree, but being that it was out of the country, I'd call the concealed carry office and ask them if there are any other potential options. I'd imagine the requirement is there to ensure no domestic abuse, restraining orders, etc. But that's just a guess.

Geezer Squid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Contact Family Court in Naha, Okinawa, give them your name and ask for a copy of the decree? Surely those sort of records are stored alphabetically?? I think what they are looking for is any indication of spousal abuse.

Good luck

drmweaver2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Harahan, LA
    I think this is the "heart of the matter" to a point. Marital status is mutable - at the moment of filling out the form, you may be one status but were previously another. Obviously, you go from Single to Married but then can go from Married to Divorced or Separated or Widowed. But isn't Widowed really Single?

In any case, I'm researching how to contact Family Court in Naha, Okinawa - what a pain that is. I don't speak/write Okinawan-Japanese and things will have to be not only notarized but translated and the copies/translations will have to be notarized also. That will probably not be cheap, maybe even costing me more than the original divorce paperwork did due to changes in USD-Yen exchange rates.

Still hard for me to believe I have to do this for a CCW license.

rantrantrant....

Only good thing is if it takes until after Aug 1, then I will take advantage of the new "no costs to veterans" bill the legislature passed and Edwards signed a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    You are now single. Just mark the single box. Problem solved.

I, _________________________, having been duly sworn, depose and say that I have read the foregoing
    application, and the contents thereof, and do hereby certify that my responses and information contained within
    this application are true and correct and they are an accurate account of the requested information. In addition, I
    have also read, understand, and agree to comply with the statutes contained in R.S. 40:1379.3 and 1382, and the
    corresponding administrative regulations contained in LAC 55:I:1301 et seq. I have executed this statement
    voluntarily with the knowledge that any failure to provide truthful information is cause for denial of my
    application or revocation of a permit, and that the making of any false statement or response in this application is a
    violation of R.S. 14:133, Filing False Public Records, a criminal offense punishable by imprisonment for not more
    than five (5) years with or without hard labor or a fine not to exceed five thousand dollars, or bot

drmweaver2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Harahan, LA
    charlie12 - Whether or not it was/should have been covered in a class, the requirement seems illogical to me. I don't know of any correlation or cause&effect relation between domestic violence and concealed weapons. Correlational statistics are not accurate predictors of future actions. And I'd argue that taking the class is about my 6th or 7th step in getting the CHP - after getting the gun, learning to shoot it and some other things. But whose counting? YMMV

Bigchillin' - I put in my 22plus years in via a combination of Army, Navy and National Guard (both enlisted and officer) time and have multiple DD214s to prove it. So it's not an issue for me.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Kinda crazy all the hoops you have to go through to get the CHL. All for a right that shall not be infringed... But, do it right, you don't want the hassle if you get in trouble. Can't hurt to make a phone call to the LSP.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    charlie12 - Whether or not it was/should have been covered in a class, the requirement seems illogical to me. I don't know of any correlation or cause&effect relation between domestic violence and concealed weapons. Correlational statistics are not accurate predictors of future actions. And I'd argue that taking the class is about my 6th or 7th step in getting the CHP - after getting the gun, learning to shoot it and some other things. But whose counting? YMMV

Bigchillin' - I put in my 22plus years in via a combination of Army, Navy and National Guard (both enlisted and officer) time and have multiple DD214s to prove it. So it's not an issue for me.

AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!! I wasn't trying to question that matter, just showing and example of how not declosing all info on a form could get you into trouble,not that you would attempt that

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Kinda crazy all the hoops you have to go through to get the CHL. All for a right that shall not be infringed... But, do it right, you don't want the hassle if you get in trouble. Can't hurt to make a phone call to the LSP.

Yeah it sucks here. In Alabama you walk in pay 25.00 and walk out with a nice looking concealed carry license.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    It's no longer a right. It's been demoted to a privilege, you must pay for. LEO can take it how they want, but personally, I wont ask/pay for permission to carry a pistol to defend myself. Especially in this toilet of a state.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom