Surveillance Cameras

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Honestly, the alarm system is as much a deterrent as it is anything else. It is designed to stop a house clearing burglary and limit losses. Thats why I make the same point that taiaut makes, which is if it is really valuable put it in the safe or get an insurance plan for it. Also, if anyone has a home burglary system, I always suggest adding smoke detectors. They might save your life if you have a fire when you're home and they might save your home/pets/irreplaceables if you have a fire when you aren't home.

The new home automation systems are a different animal though. What we can do is limited by our being a non special order type of business, but even so, we are still doing some pretty cool things. We can set up the alarm system, lights, thermostats, cameras, and wall plugs to all be controlled by an I-phone, droid, I-pad, or pretty much anywhere you can open a browser, and have them work seamlessly together.

The great part about tying everything together, is you can have one action lead to a response. The example I give for parents, is you can have the system send you a 30 second film clip every time a door is opened. This way you can get visual verification your kids came home, on time, and by themselves. For single women, I tell them you can set it up so that every time you disarm your system from the remote control after a certain time, it will turn the lights in the house on. This means they never have to come home to a dark house, which is something that even with an alarm system, concerns single women.

It sucks for me, because it is a million and one things I have to learn, but as far as what we can do for customers, its great.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    As many people here know already, I recently aggressively inquired about security cameras and alarm systems. My procrastination was the burglar's friend.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Thanks Nola for the brief class. Our HOA is taking bids on camera installation around the pool. So far we've seen $1300 for 2 cameras to $3300 for 4. At least now I have some good information on what to ask as far as the hardware setups. We currently have 2 outdoor lights that have an orange cast. One company says the color isn't an issue the other says it screws with night vision.
    Thanks again.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The lights shouldn't be an issue unless the cameras are looking at them. Too much light gives you issues when it comes the IR vision. The camera tries to adjust to the light and in turn it white washes the image. 2 cameras for 1300 is what my friend charges and I think he adds another 150/200 per additional camera, its a pretty good price to have someone else do the work and warranty it. On a public area like that, you might want to get more that two cameras up, depending on the size of the pool, shape of the pool, and the area around it. If it would help you out, draw an overhead map of the area and the buildings surrounding the pool, then run off a few copies of it so you can draw on them. The cameras should have about a 65 degree viewing angle, so if you play around with different locations and solutions, it should help you make a really informed decision. If you've got any questions about that let me know and I'll see if I can't get them answered.

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'll +1 about the wireless cameras. Been there, done that. Don't do it, run a wire. You're in BR so I know someone who does inexpensive camera systems and does a good job. If you want to do it yourself I can show you what I and my mom have and can help you plan it out and such.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I'll +1 about the wireless cameras. Been there, done that. Don't do it, run a wire. You're in BR so I know someone who does inexpensive camera systems and does a good job. If you want to do it yourself I can show you what I and my mom have and can help you plan it out and such.

Does your connection ever get over to the Lake Charles area?

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

I would def be interested in seeing your set up and getting in touch with your hook up. PM me with your phone number and we can set something up please

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    This is before I got a new cam 3 mounted :oP

Attachments

• 0001aaacam.jpg
      0001aaacam.jpg
      88.1 KB · Views: 93

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I have a bunch of those $70 D-Link wifi cameras scattered all around my home and property. They work fine, except for a few things.

1) Resolution is TV quality. It also varies from unit to unit.

2) Reliable WIFI range is about 20 feet, so get yourself a few repeaters. I find the AmpED 300s work pretty well. Oh, and maximize your WIFI bandwidth by disabling encryption and instead use a MAC filter to limit the network adapters that can connect to your network. Limit your network to 801 N only so your WIFI devices have less chance of confusing each other.

3)Set up the cameras to constantly dump photos into a network directory using FTP, then set up a bot to clear out the photos older than x days. In low-traffic areas use the cameras' motion detectors to decide when to FTP the photos. This combination works well for me.

4) Use small UPS systems in each room to power the cameras. The UPS's also work to clean up the incoming power, so your cameras don't get hit by spikes.

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Technically speaking I should be able to run wired cameras and wireless cameras into the same receiver shouldnt I? I want a camera to record from the road up the drive way and do not really want to have to bury a line... is this logical

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Technically speaking I should be able to run wired cameras and wireless cameras into the same receiver shouldnt I? I want a camera to record from the road up the drive way and do not really want to have to bury a line... is this logical
    Depends. The camera will need power, do you have an outlet there? Also, how far is it from the house? If it's too far the wireless signal wont carry.

NOLA_Jack or anyone else with knowledge, give us some brands to look at or some to stay away from as far as cameras and DVRs?
    Brands don't mean much in my experience. Compare specs and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Just as a note, for work we use matrix cameras.

http://www.securitycameraworld.com/

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yep, the two higher quality cameras I have are off eBay straight from China and don't really have a name. If they do it's nothing you ever heard of. The Sony Super HAD and Super HAD II resolution of 480 and up have good pictures and see really well at night. I don't know about anyone else but I won't waste time with wireless cameras ever again. The wireless IP cameras that connect via Wifi work pretty well, but they still don't have a really long range.

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Depends. The camera will need power, do you have an outlet there? Also, how far is it from the house? If it's too far the wireless signal wont carry.

Brands don't mean much in my experience. Compare specs and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Just as a note, for work we use matrix cameras.

http://www.securitycameraworld.com/

How often do y'all receive complaints from the matrix camera users? Any regular maintenance that's needs to be done to them?

Top Bottom