Surveillance Cameras

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Are there privacy problems involved or can you do what you want in your own house ?

No privacy problems at all. I DO WHAT I WANT after I clear it through her hahaha lol! The fiancee is on board and is also ready to get them installed. I would rather them be as discreet as possible but that still is not an issue.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    I'd like to have an 11 camera system that recorded to hard drive AND uploaded to the internet while I am in afghanistan, but could be switched to hard drive only when I am home. I am single and I WOULD want the bedrooms, etc the whole house and yards.

3 questions:
    1- Ballpark estimate for a system like that?
    2- I have a monitored security system already... Should I hook the two together?
    3- Would I have to put some sort of sign on my door or something letting people know they are being recorded? Earlier someone mentioned legal concerns.... One ADDITIONAL reason I want the system is to cover myself from he said/she said situations. I know a guy that had a female bring a female friend over at 3AM to have a 3-way and the girl ended up accusing both the other two (male and female) of raping her. True story. I think he got off but he was still charged, pic in the paper, had everyone that doesn't care about "the rest of the story" thinking he was a rapist, etc.

Anyway, I want the system for security, not to make freaky videos, but still, I want every room covered... even if I have to do it myself...

-Neal

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    4, 8 or 16 channel I'd stick with 8 and add an IP camera or two if you really need that extra. You could always do a 4 channel and an 8 together in different parts of the house. You can hook them together, most DVRs have an alarm output. Personally I have a voice dialer that will call me if one of the detectors goes off and I can pull up the DVR from most anywhere and look to see whats going on. As for cost you'll have to get that from whomever you get to install it or find the stuff you want if you plan to do it yourself.

Oh and warning, I don't think you *have* to, but personally I like the idea of anyone who passes knowing my home is under my surveillance.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Here is the Louisiana statute & statute #:

Louisiana statute audio recording: LRS 15:1301, et seq.
    It is illegal and a criminal offence to intercept any electronic communication when neither party to the conversation is aware of the interception and has not agreed to the interception. If the party doing the interception is a party to the conversation, then that party has given his consent and it is OK to make the interception. Thus, if either party is aware of the interception and agrees to it, then there is no violation.

In other words, you can put a recording device on your phone and record all the conversations in which you participate--whether you tell the other person on the line or not. You can put a device on the line when two other people are talking as long as one of them knows of it and agrees to it. However, you cannot simply intercept a conversation in your home between your spouse and another person or between your child and his friend without their permission. If neither party to the conversation is aware of the interception and has not agreed to it, it is illegal.

I think the only exception to this is when signs are placed around the property, so by being there people are consenting to being recorded.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I'm sure a small sticker in a discrete place won't work. The ones we use in businesses are about 7 by 12 and go on or near every entry.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Dont I have some form of protection being that it is in my house?
    Yes, you have the ability to use an audio surveillance system, you just need clearly posted signs to show consent upon entry. I don't see the issue with putting up signs, if you think people will have an issue with you knowing what they are doing/saying in your house, maybe you shouldn't have let them in to begin with. That said, you're looking at it from one side of the coin, but the other is that you probably wouldn't want your private conversations recorded without your knowledge regardless of where you are.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    A nice 8 camera system with everything included should run $3,000 to $3,500.
    I'm sure you can get by cheaper but you pay for what you get I'm sure.
    Installed by a national company maybe, but doing it yourself should be less than half that, unless you are adding a load of conduit and/or siamese wire.

Last edited:

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, you have the ability to use an audio surveillance system, you just need clearly posted signs to show consent upon entry. I don't see the issue with putting up signs, if you think people will have an issue with you knowing what they are doing/saying in your house, maybe you shouldn't have let them in to begin with. That said, you're looking at it from one side of the coin, but the other is that you probably wouldn't want your private conversations recorded without your knowledge regardless of where you are.

I knew there was a reason I liked you lol! I understand what your saying. And even if I do post signs and they come in anyway then aight.

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    SO I called a local security company just for giggles to see what they would charge for a 8 camera system..... $6000.00 ball park..... just craziness! So then I called another business that turned out to specialize in industrial surveillance but they put me on to their sister company. Anyone interesred in cameras should check out www.apexcctv.com

1 8 Channel Security DVR w/ DVD-R
    1 Seagate 1000 GB SATA Hard Drive
    4 Hi Resolution Outdoor IR Security Camera
    4 Color Dome Security Cameras
    1 CCTV Siamese Cable - 1000' Spool
    1 9-Channel, 5 Amp, 12V DC Power Supply
    8 10" Female DC Plug Kits
    16 RG59 BNC Crimp-On Connector
    1 19" LCD Widescreen Monitor
    2 Warning Signs

$1,266.78

I will call them in the morning but this is the best deal so far. NOLA_jack let me know what you think about the system

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Couple of things, ask if the harddrive is built into the DVR, and get more specific info on "high resolution" and how many IR LEDs are in each camera. If that power supply uses fuses, order extras, trust me, accidents happen. If you go the dome route, be sure to put silica packs in the domes, otherwise they will trap moisture and cloud up. The monitor is up to you, personally I would just wire from the DVR to my main TV, so I can watch it in my living room/bed room. Do you know how to crimp BNC connectors?

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    fuseless powere supply.

here is the specs on the camera

Infrared Camera Specifications
    Type: Color
    Environment: Indoor/Outdoor
    Sensor Chip: Sony 1/3" Super HAD CCD
    Analog Resolution: 500 TV Lines
    Lens: 3.6mm Fixed Auto-Iris Lens
    Light Sensitivity: 0 (IR Mode) Lux
    Video Format: NTSC
    Illumination Range: 50'
    IR LED Count: 21 Infrared LEDs
    Voltage: 12v DC
    Mounting Bracket: Included
    Power Supply: Sold Separately
    One Year Warranty

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you have a little browsing time and would not mind go to apexcctv.com and click system packages. Check the basic 8 camera system and it will give all the specs that way you can see everything I see and be able to tell me the pros and cons

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    If you have a little browsing time and would not mind go to apexcctv.com and click system packages. Check the basic 8 camera system and it will give all the specs that way you can see everything I see and be able to tell me the pros and cons

Is that a self-install kit or are they installing it for you at that price?

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Self installed kit.... def worth getting a friend or two over to help with the installation to save $5000.00!!! an I will supply all the alcohol AFTER the installation is completed lol

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I guess my question is, is it really that hard to install? How about this company with the inexpensive package, so they install? If so, how much?

I only need like 5 camera's for now.

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This company is all self installation. I would guess that it can not be that hard. I have only seen systems in 4 cam, 8, cam, 16 cam, and so on (duplicates of 4).... But on the sight they say that you can call them a build a system that you are looking for

Really just need to get on the sight and play with it.... so much information and you need to find the system that best suits you

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom