Tailor made suit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Ok, I'm looking to get a good suit made. I'm tired of ending up with crappy material that falls apart after a couple of cleanings. Can anyone recommend a good tailor in south La who KNOWS men's suits and how to properly custom fit one?

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You can go and get yourself measured and order a suit from Italy that will fit you like a glove and look better than anything anyone here will make. Will run ya over $1300 though at minimum.

Joseph A Banks always has decent suits that you get a bunch of extras with. They also have a seamstress / tailor there who will cut it down wherever to fit you.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You can go and get yourself measured and order a suit from Italy that will fit you like a glove and look better than anything anyone here will make. Will run ya over $1300 though at minimum.

This is more of what I'm talking about. I have found that the suits that Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank to be a waste of money. I am looking for someone who will use a fabric with a 120 grade or higher and understands how to build a quality suit rather than adjust one off of a rack. I just don't know of any places down here.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Taylor Made is a golf club manufacturer , maybe that's why you can't find a suit, lol. If you want a tailored suit, I can't help you. I have had good luck with suits I've bought from Dillard's on the higher end of the price scale. Ralph Lauren wears fairly well for me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Taylor Made is a golf club manufacturer , maybe that's why you can't find a suit, lol. If you want a tailored suit, I can't help you. I have had good luck with suits I've bought from Dillard's on the higher end of the price scale. Ralph Lauren wears fairly well for me.

Taylor Made = Golf

Tailor made is sewn by a person :)

<3

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    This is more of what I'm talking about. I have found that the suits that Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank to be a waste of money. I am looking for someone who will use a fabric with a 120 grade or higher and understands how to build a quality suit rather than adjust one off of a rack. I just don't know of any places down here.

Just curious what you do in your suits that they dont hold up. I wear suits or dress slacks every day Monday -Friday's from Jos A. Banks and Mens Wearhouse and they last me a few yrs before I change them out. Not b/ they rip but b/ I dont need then to look worn out before getting a new one.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Just curious what you do in your suits that they dont hold up. I wear suits or dress slacks every day Monday -Friday's from Jos A. Banks and Mens Wearhouse and they last me a few yrs before I change them out. Not b/ they rip but b/ I dont need then to look worn out before getting a new one.

You certainly wear yours more than I wear mine. I try to limit my exposure to state dinners, charming Czech beauties with an enticing Fandango, pushing an F355 hard along the PCH, and engineering global conglomerate mergers. :D

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Interested in this as well, i'm an odd size and have had poor results w/ Banks and Mens warehouse tailors as well as a shop that was supposed to be a step up. Even just having a tailor's name that can measure and communicate it well to an overseas maker would be helpful.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Y'all wander into Brooks Brothers In the Quarter and give it a try.

I won't wear anything but their dress shirts anymore.... WONDERFUL to never have to iron a shirt again, and their dress pants last, but feel so good against your legs... (I hate to say it, but it's true)

I don't have many occasions to wear BB, but when I do....rather than feeling like I'm wearing something cheap (it's DEFINATELY not that) I feel GOOD.

I also like how they keep my measurements on file (if asked) and will deliver around the world if needed. (not that I'm 007 or anything, but it's nice.)

2009 or 10 I walked in there, told them I wanted "conservative banker classic" and to "dress me"
    No complaints.

Edit: I figured if I knew about them, everybody must... They were dressing military officers Pre WW2.... (W.E.B Griffon even wrote about them):p

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For my wedding last year, I had a three piece made for myself and a two piece for my brother (best man) from Dillard's. I went several places, including Cohn Turner and Martinez before deciding on Dillard's. Honestly, I was sceptical, but they ended up being very sharp. We were measured, picked our cuts, style, fabric, features, lining, etc. My brother has never been able to wear anything even close to "off the rack" and his came out great too. His ran around $800 if I remember and mine was just over $1000.

Ours were "made to measure" Hart Schaffner Marx suits (Made in USA). A true custom "bespoke" suit will be closer to $2500.

I own a number of J. Banks suits and have never been crazy about the fit or craftsmanship. That said, I wear a suit everyday, so I'm a bit picky. Brooks Brothers makes great suits, but beware that the ones sold at outlets ("346") are a completely different line than in retail stores.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've used mens warehouse on the cheap - 3-500.00 for a quick suit and they are tailored, and come out looking pretty good.

For the big bucks, hit Partners. the italian sexy cost me around 3,000 total but it looks incredible. feel like a rock star every time i get it on. - last time i went he tailored a casual jacket for me to ccw my full size, im tellin ya you couldnt make it print if you tried.

fwiw many of my colleagues recommend martinez as well, but i've never visited him personally.

Top Bottom