Taurus Curve, anyone?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    Anybody picked one up yet? Are they even out yet?

I've got a co-worker who's itching to pick one up. I may try one as well, but the G43 is above the Curve on my short list.

I searched Google but all I could come up with for a release date was First Quarter 2015. Well, there's only a few more days of that. Anyone have any further info?

taurus_curve_22.jpg

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Damn, the website I listed, taurusshooter.net, no longer exists!

Hahahahaha! I posted that site originally...that guy was a joke.

Got a curve in at work....not too impressed....its about as cool as a fanny pack full of dildos in my opinion.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Got a curve in at work....not too impressed....its about as cool as a fanny pack full of dildos in my opinion.

Never thought of it exactly like that, but I would give it that level of coolness. Interesting concept, poor product. (IMHO)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I wish I could find the thread where someone was complaining about people already thinking the pistol was going to be garbage before touching one.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I wish I could find the thread where someone was complaining about people already thinking the pistol was going to be garbage before touching one.

You don't need to look too hard, it was me. Some folks seem to have great powers of premonition based on their personal preferences.

It's a Taurus. I'd agree in general that Taurus makes a lower quality product than many other makes, but bashing a gun that someone has never touched, shot, seen in person, or even knows from secondhand experience is a waste for anyone looking for useful info.

Slapp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    Friend of mine picked one of these up a little bit ago and we took it the range. It reminded me of a bent Ruger lcp, it shot well with the ammo we had but took a minute to get used to as you wanted to turn your hand a little to shoot (compensate for the curve). Once you realize their is no need for this it actually shot well. We had one miss fire and I blame that on the reloaded ammo we tried as all the others shot flawlessly. In my opinion it is nice little gun design to do just what they say, fit in the back pocket of your pants. If you wear loose pants the gun will fall in the pocket upside down, recommend a soft leather pocket holster to keep it upright.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You don't need to look too hard, it was me. Some folks seem to have great powers of premonition based on their personal preferences.

It's a Taurus. I'd agree in general that Taurus makes a lower quality product than many other makes, but bashing a gun that someone has never touched, shot, seen in person, or even knows from secondhand experience is a waste for anyone looking for useful info.

You are almost entirely wrong. I can go to Home Depot today, start looking at tools and tell you which ones will work well for driving nails. Why? Because I have experience in driving nails. The people here who have experience shooting pistols can tell you being able to shoot a pistol left handed is an important thing. People with knowledge of wound mechanisms know that most 380 doesn't penetrate well. People with experience in mathematics know that 6 isn't very many rounds.

I don't need to touch the pistol to know that the only thing it does better than a revolver is cut reload time. It does so at the cost of left handed function, is prone to jamming if someone gets a hand on it, and knowing the past quality of Taurus pistols and general traits of semis vs wheels, it also costs reliability.

Am I wrong about any of these things? If so, how?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I agree with people saying you shouldn't bash something b/c you've heard or read about it..... At the same time I'm not going to stop someone from listing "con's" that you can get from objectively looking at the product. I myself tend to stray away from the taurus brand, just due to overwhelming negative reviews along with personal negative experiences with 3 of their products. But like everything else, it's a new product that should be viewed with opened eyes, not pre-judgement.

So, if the question is about how's the gun function, look, feel, then for those that have experience or have access to one, please share.

For Jack, you're right, IF someone was asking to compare that gun to a revolver, then your statements are correct. BUT the question is about the gun itself. The OP did not ask for a comparison to other methods of carry options. Also, If you ask ANY Dr, main organ damage is what will most likely kill someone. So though a .380 may not penetrate through and through each time, I bet a few to the chest will get the job done, when you can't breath with the blood pooling in your lungs.

As far as the "curve" I think it's fairly gimmicky, but who knows, if it actually makes carrying that much easier, It could be a "game changer" and others will follow suit. Some may have said night sights or polymer guns were gimmicks in the past, but look how many people use them today, and how many manufacturers produce them.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Many of you are right. Some aren't.

If it was made by glock, many people on this site (and others) would be cheering it on (having never held one) and lining up to buy it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Many of you are right. Some aren't.

If it was made by glock, many people on this site (and others) would be cheering it on (having never held one) and lining up to buy it.

I wouldn't. On this site I've beem critical of the g42 and it doesn't even have a curve.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    The reason I don't like it is, like Jack said, not support hand friendly, and this:
    With its patented, snag-free design, the Curve boasts the industry's first-ever light and laser built right into the frame.
    http://www.taurususa.com/whats-new-the-curve.cfm

My trigger finger does very few things, I am a KISS person. That finger indexes when handling the gun, goes to the trigger when presenting, and presses the trigger if I want to fire. And honestly, that is a lot for a finger to due under stress. It seems this gun is marketed to casual shooters (my opinion) who will shoot if a few times and then depend on it. What happens when they hit the laser and the battery is dead? What happens if under stress you mean to turn on the light, and pull the trigger?

Have any of you taken a few classes and not messed up with a reload or such with a gun you shoot a lot?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=901&category=Pistol

The gun has no 'real' sights. What if you have blood or mud on the front of the gun, messing up the laser? You want to be holding that gun if the lights/laser fails? Not me.

I think the gun will be marketed towards new/casual shooters who will not train with it, and may injure themselves by not using a proper holster.

If you like the concept, buy one, or heck get two. Maybe they will make a left handed model. I don't have to shoot/handle a gun to make some, in MHO conclusions about it. I think there are much better options for a small .380 or 9mm pocket pistol.

If you can buy and shoot every gun you talk about, I envy your gun budget! :)

OK, sure, it is a 380, a small pocket gun meant to be shot short range. Do you really want to carry a gun with that kind of aiming system? I don't. Also, the gun has a clip on it to fit in a pocket. Horrible idea in my opinion. Any carry gun SHOULD be in a holster that protects the trigger.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    No sights, can't shoot it left-handed, subpar caliber and capacity, have to change the way you shoot a handgun to hit your target... no thanks. It's a worse gimmick than a Judge with a cheap laser sight mounted on the top of the barrel. If I have to make a sacrifice, I'll go with my S&W 442.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    You are almost entirely wrong. I can go to Home Depot today, start looking at tools and tell you which ones will work well for driving nails. Why? Because I have experience in driving nails. The people here who have experience shooting pistols can tell you being able to shoot a pistol left handed is an important thing. People with knowledge of wound mechanisms know that most 380 doesn't penetrate well. People with experience in mathematics know that 6 isn't very many rounds.

I don't need to touch the pistol to know that the only thing it does better than a revolver is cut reload time. It does so at the cost of left handed function, is prone to jamming if someone gets a hand on it, and knowing the past quality of Taurus pistols and general traits of semis vs wheels, it also costs reliability.

Am I wrong about any of these things? If so, how?
    Jack, I enjoy your posts.

No need to insert strawmen into this. Your nail driving ability was never questioned.
    It's nice that you bring up people with experience shooting pistols. I have more than a little myself.
    Wound mechanisms? The performance of the .380 was never in question.
    6 > 5, last time I checked, but capacity was never questioned.

Personally, I like guns. Old guns, new guns. Steel guns, plastic guns. Red guns, blue guns. Don't talk to me about Ruger though, I don't like them. As I have a personal dislike for Ruger, I don't tend to comment much in threads about Ruger.

Look dude, it's pretty simple: Sig puts out a new model and people praise it without even seeing a picture. If it's a brand that people like to look down their noses at, it's called a POS before being seen, touched, or fired. That's all I was talking about. It doesn't give a new member here a good picture. I was told this site had a bunch of knowledgeable folks on it, and it does. Although, scrolling past a bunch of uninformed personal bias might lead someone to believe otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom