Taurus PT-111

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I've never heard anyone A) Openly admit intention to buying a turd then B) Get mad when somebody calls said turd a turd and then C) Say I don't care if it's a turd, i've made up my mind and i'm buying said turd.

Dude, I've owned tauruses. Emphasis on the OWNED. They are teh suck. And yes the trigger pull almost requires two fingers. If your intention is to talk yourself into cheap crap, then go ahead and buy it and shoot it till your heart's content.

If you want a confidence boost before you buy it, then post it on a forum, but don't get your feelings hurt when people post what you already knew what was gonna be posted when you said you would buy the taurus.

FYI, pangris knows a little sumpin sumpin about guns.......just saying.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    The Millennium Pro series have a pretty good trigger. They now pre-cock when the slide is racked, the reset is short, and breaks fairly well.

The older model Millennium pistols had a long hard pull,but they seemed to have fixed that. The only problem I can see for a new shooter, the controls are spaced too close together. In a high stress situation, with little or no training, it could be likely that person would get the slide lock confused with one of the other controls.

The magazines are a little pricey but not as high as a Sig or HK factory mag.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The Millennium Pro series have a pretty good trigger. They now pre-cock when the slide is racked, the reset is short, and breaks fairly well.

The older model Millennium pistols had a long hard pull,but they seemed to have fixed that. The only problem I can see for a new shooter, the controls are spaced too close together. In a high stress situation, with little or no training, it could be likely that person would get the slide lock confused with one of the other controls.

The magazines are a little pricey but not as high as a Sig or HK factory mag.

...Guy next to me at Gunsite's 250 had one of those...

FAILED the first day.

Seen them fail since.

Look at the pistols that make it THROUGH:

Gunsite, Suarez, Thunder Ranch, Tactical Response, Farnam....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Anything mechanical can break down. I've seen plenty of glocks fail in my time. The funniest one ever was the little slide lock spring broke in a G23. The guy racked his slide to show clear, released the slide, and it went flying off the frame into the dirt.

Nothing is "perfect". And don't get me started on the 1911.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Anything mechanical can break down. I've seen plenty of glocks fail in my time. The funniest one ever was the little slide lock spring broke in a G23. The guy racked his slide to show clear, released the slide, and it went flying off the frame into the dirt.

I love my 1911's. Got a bunch of them. I carry a Glock.

Yes, anything mechanical can/does fail.

It's just that some are less likely to fail, and some are more likely.

You do not wish to listen, that is fine. I just hope you do not learn at an inoportune time.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge

Anything mechanical can fail. Period.

BUT .............. statistically, and empirically, some makes of handguns are far more reliable than others.

What Nomad is saying, I think, is that people should attend some of the major academies, or talk to the chief instructors at the major academies. They have trained thousands of students in multi-day courses. They know which weapons are the most reliable. These are excellent proving grounds.

Nomad has listed some excellent schools to contact (I would suggest adding Rangemaster to the list).

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I've got a little experience in that as well.....

If you are replying to my most recent post, please understand that I wasn't directing it at you. I was speaking to the members who get their info from gunrags and gun store clerks.

If you weren't responding to me, do not read this post.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Would I buy a Taurus for the range? Sure why not...maybe some day they'll make something I'm interested in.

Would I buy a Taurus to protect myself or my family? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

To the OP: it's just tough love man. Friends don't let friends buy shitty firearms. Alot of these guys have "been there done that"....twice. If you bang a girl and get crabs, aren't you gonna warn your friends about her? ;)

And for the record, the Taurus has crabs AND gonorrhea. :eek3:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Would I buy a Taurus for the range? Sure why not...maybe some day they'll make something I'm interested in.

Would I buy a Taurus to protect myself or my family? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

To the OP: it's just tough love man. Friends don't let friends buy shitty firearms. Alot of these guys have "been there done that"....twice. If you bang a girl and get crabs, aren't you gonna warn your friends about her? ;)

As LSP said a few pages ago, that is so wrong ............ and so right.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

:rofl::bowrofl::bowdown::bowrofl:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    No firearm is "proven" until I have proven it. I am not the trusting type. If brand "x" claims their gun to hell and back, perfect, or lifetime, I intend to hold them to it.

I will not rely on any firearm until I have proven it. I don't fall into this or that because instructor "x" is seen on tv with it. Or this instructor ONLY uses this brand. I test and continue to test any firearm I use or carry. I have pushed the limits and intentionally shot hell out of my personal selection. If it fails, I want to know why it failed. Not carry it under the delusion of a "reputation".

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    ^ Not gonna disagree...

Other people's info makes a good starting point/guidelines though...

Especially if those people have seen thousands of students shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds through various handguns.

I don't recall seeing anyone suggest that a handgun choice should be based on "instructor X being seen on TV with it." Maybe I just missed that one.

Testing by an individual owner does nothing more than assess the reliability of that particular weapon .............. which is a very good thing. But it has little or no statistical relevance for someone trying to decide which weapon to buy. There are exceptions to every rule.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    If Taurus is "known" for manufacturing such poor quality products, then possibly you have had personal experience. It may benefit a new shooter if they understood why Taurus firearms are such poor quality,specific to make or model. Or,as I understand it here, the general quality of ALL Taurus firearms are poor period.

A pretty broad statement that all Taurus firearms are of such low quality and even less reliability. I guess the other folks that have posted here,that have purchased Taurus, are a lucky few that have had no problems. Uhm... statistcally speaking of course.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    If Taurus is "known" for manufacturing such poor quality products, then possibly you have had personal experience. It may benefit a new shooter if they understood why Taurus firearms are such poor quality,specific to make or model. Or,as I understand it here, the general quality of ALL Taurus firearms are poor period.

A pretty broad statement that all Taurus firearms are of such low quality and even less reliability. I guess the other folks that have posted here,that have purchased Taurus, are a lucky few that have had no problems. Uhm... statistcally speaking of course.

If your comments are a response to my previous post, feel free to read it, and all the preceding posts, again. You should find them to be self-explanatory.

As far as understanding why Taurus markets crap, I'd suggest asking them to explain their business model to you. It will likely be similar to that of Kel-Tec.

If you are arguing with someone else, please disregard this post.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I noticed that the Academy specials marketed this past weekend were the Millenium models minus the Pro, so I declined to get one.
    Taurus's lifetime warranty is not a free warranty, you have to ship it overnite to them for around $60 or you can get an FFL holder to ship it via USPS for around $35. I've had more Tar-asses break on me than any other firearm and the bargain that you get is negated with lifetime of shipping it back to Taurus to get it fixed right and the fact that you have to buy 2 at a time so that you have one functioning handgun while the other is being sent back to the shop.
    That being said, I would buy a Taurus if offered for about half the on sale price of $229.00 or I think its worth about $115.
    I had one of the 45acp models that was not a Pro model and experienced the frame cracking at the rear that Taurus won't even admit is a defect.

Anyways, I think maybe perhaps a Hipoint is more reliable or a least sells for what the Tar-ass is worth ~ $129.99

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom