Texas Church Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I think this will come down to being about an ex? wife and mother in law.

These are current media facts that seem to be corroborated by law enforcement.

Ex M-I-L who was a church member was threatened by him, but was not in the church when he arrived.

Also another failure of "sane" gun laws since he was prohibited from owning firearms due to his military felony and domestic violence, but the FBI background check passed him as he bought firearms over several years.

TX denied him a CCW, so it was illegal for him to carry a firearm in a church.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If this incident yet again, doesn't convince every American these whack jobs will strike anywhere; nothing will! You are literally at risk no matter where you go now. These revenge/grudge killers can and will strike their victims regardless of the circumstance or location.

This scumbag shot a pregnant woman and little kids? What a f**king pile of ****!

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    It doesn't matter why he did it.
    It doesn't matter when he did it.
    It doesn't matter how he did it.

What matters is that it did happen, and there are still people out there who choose to believe that it CAN'T happen to them.

No one should be talking about the shooting. They should be talking about what they will do if it happens to them. There are so many people out there that own a gun and don't carry it. Get some training and carry your damn gun.

Here's a better question... How many people in that church had a med kit? Probably none. It may have saved some lives.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Not sure what the left gates more, God or guns? Wouldn’t be surprised if the left writes a bill that says no God or guns allowed in churches. Good guys with guns (not just LEO) is the answer not more useless laws.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    *He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.*

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It doesn't matter why he did it.
    It doesn't matter when he did it.
    It doesn't matter how he did it.

What matters is that it did happen, and there are still people out there who choose to believe that it CAN'T happen to them.

No one should be talking about the shooting. They should be talking about what they will do if it happens to them. There are so many people out there that own a gun and don't carry it. Get some training and carry your damn gun.

Here's a better question... How many people in that church had a med kit? Probably none. It may have saved some lives.

Well said.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I intend to contact my legislative members to demand changes to LA CCW law - why can't we protect ourselves at church without "special training". Same rules as a store, if the church posts no guns go elsewhere, otherwise carry.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I intend to contact my legislative members to demand changes to LA CCW law - why can't we protect ourselves at church without "special training". Same rules as a store, if the church posts no guns go elsewhere, otherwise carry.

Good Luck with that.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Sheriff just reported that the shooter emptied at least 15 30-round magazines inside the church. Damn ..

Impossible,he wasn't their long enough to do that .If he did do that
    ,no one would be alive in that church. 450 rds is alot in 2-3 minutes.

Maybe sheriff should stick to drinking and not thinking.

The neighbor and multiple eyewitnesses said 3 mags on ground,4th in
    rifle.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Sheriff just reported that the shooter emptied at least 15 30-round magazines inside the church. Damn ..

I read he was outside the church spraying.
    Also from what I read it sounds like the neighbor either took his rifle or had his own and likely hit him. Apparently the guy made a call to his dad while fleeing. Not sure if he spoke to him or voicemail but he said he didn't think he was going to make it. Likely why he lost control of the car during his getaway.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    I read he was outside the church spraying.
    Also from what I read it sounds like the neighbor either took his rifle or had his own and likely hit him. Apparently the guy made a call to his dad while fleeing. Not sure if he spoke to him or voicemail but he said he didn't think he was going to make it. Likely why he lost control of the car during his getaway.

yep,he messed around at the wrong church.That neighbor was a marksman by hunter standards his
    neighbors said.He shot him directly in the side.You know from a 556,that made a nasty hole in them
    innards.imagine a gut shot straight across.Ouchhhh im surprised he drove 11 miles.

rifle shot= 85% mortality rate.
    pistol shot= 35% mortality rate.

I see everyday,america is coming back.

a year ago when osama was prez,people were scared to pee crooked.
    Now we are confronting these punks at will and they dying:)
    Prez said make america great again..I say bring back america and if
    that don't work,take back america.

I counted 47 people in a small town of sulphur,la. open carrying...
    I moved back here 18 years ago when I retired.I have never seen
    that many people with a gun ,let alone ,open carrying:)

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Court martial is to determine guilt or innocence. Doesn’t take a conviction of a crime to get dishonorably discharged.

He did not receive a dishonorable discharge. He received a bad conduct discharge. Those are given for less than felonious conduct. So, more than likely, his abuse issues were reduced and he possibly did not have a felony on his record, allowing him to legally purchase firearms. However, the abuse issues probably kept him from getting the Texas CCW issued.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I finally heard why he was dishonorably discharged today. He fractured his 2 yr old's skull and beat up his wife... (on Michael Berry I think...).

I'd be surprised to see the major media outlets, including fox, report on him being an ATIFA member or that this was a carryover from the 11/4 events.

The fact that the NY Times allowed atifa to buy a full page add encouraging violence (even indirectly) should be a chargeable offense. Conspricacy to incite rioting? Arrest the editor, then enforce RICO. If they would come down hard enough on one liberal publication for something like this the rest might start reporting more honestly...

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    He did not receive a dishonorable discharge. He received a bad conduct discharge. Those are given for less than felonious conduct. So, more than likely, his abuse issues were reduced and he possibly did not have a felony on his record, allowing him to legally purchase firearms. However, the abuse issues probably kept him from getting the Texas CCW issued.

The latest is the Air Force dropped the ball and didn't report him to the feds so he'd be denied on the background check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...wing-texas-church-shooter-to-obtain-firearms/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/us/texas-shooting-church.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/t...rt-texas-church-gunman-devin-kelley-s-n818156

Federal law prohibits those who have been dishonorably discharged from buying a firearm, but the law does not include a blanket prohibition on those who have received a bad conduct discharge. However, certain types of bad conduct discharges can stem from cases that would bar defendants from purchasing firearms.

Texas and federal laws prohibit those with domestic violence convictions from owning firearm. The military is supposed to report to the FBI, for the purposes of prohibiting firearm purchases, convictions on domestic violence charges, as well as convictions that carry maximum potential sentences of more than a year in confinement. It is unclear if the FBI was notified about Kelley's case, which fit both conditions.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-...patrick-kelley-discharged-from-the-air-force/

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Or that.... But people (media) are throwing words around like they know what they are talking about, and, shocker... They don't. Semantics and details don't matter anymore...

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    I believe if you break the law on american ground or against any american,
    they should have to go to usa courts and be punished accordingly.I never
    believed in that military bs of a slap on the hand because your military.

There the ones that should know not to break laws,because those are
    the rights their fighting for.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I believe if you break the law on american ground or against any american,
    they should have to go to usa courts and be punished accordingly.I never
    believed in that military bs of a slap on the hand because your military.

There the ones that should know not to break laws,because those are
    the rights their fighting for.

So if they break a law on federal land, what court should they go to?

Top Bottom