Texas Church Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Or that.... But people (media) are throwing words around like they know what they are talking about, and, shocker... They don't. Semantics and details don't matter anymore...

The media is pretty much quoting the Air Force spokesperson Ann Stefanek or an official Air Force press release.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    So if they break a law on federal land, what court should they go to?

<<<hand up,,I know this one... federal court

But the sad thing is ,federal prison is like a holiday compared to state prison.
    I always said if I did break the law ,to make sure I broke a federal law,cause
    I didn't want to go to state prison. Conjugal visits would be nice:)..

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    <<<hand up,,I know this one... federal court

But the sad thing is ,federal prison is like a holiday compared to state prison.
    I always said if I did break the law ,to make sure I broke a federal law,cause
    I didn't want to go to state prison. Conjugal visits would be nice:)..

So when the federal land is a military base, they go to military court.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    He did not receive a dishonorable discharge. He received a bad conduct discharge. Those are given for less than felonious conduct. So, more than likely, his abuse issues were reduced and he possibly did not have a felony on his record, allowing him to legally purchase firearms. However, the abuse issues probably kept him from getting the Texas CCW issued.

It's a common misconception that it has to be a felony, the law says convicted of a crime punishable by one year in jail. There are some misdemeanors that carry this length of imprisonment. Either the conviction or the domestic violence should have prevented him from purchasing the firearms. The Air Force has admitted they dropped the ball and never notified the FBI so the purchases were approved.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    So when the federal land is a military base, they go to military court.

If you are in the military, you can be prosecuted under the UCMJ regardless of where the offence occurred. If it occurred off federal property, then you can also be prosecuted by civilian authorities. For example, an airman gets a DUI off base. He is charged by the police & tried by civilian court. After he gets out of jail and returns to military control, he will be prosecuted under the UCMJ. It's not considered double jeopardy because you're under two separate sets of rules.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I believe if you break the law on american ground or against any american,
    they should have to go to usa courts and be punished accordingly.I never
    believed in that military bs of a slap on the hand because your military.

There the ones that should know not to break laws,because those are
    the rights their fighting for.

Actually, what I thought was more BS was when guys would get a civilian DWI or some other issue on the weekend that had nothing to do with military, didn't even take any time away from normal duty. And then on Monday, you got an article 15 on top of the DWI. Always felt like that was a bit overkill.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you are in the military, you can be prosecuted under the UCMJ regardless of where the offence occurred. If it occurred off federal property, then you can also be prosecuted by civilian authorities. For example, an airman gets a DUI off base. He is charged by the police & tried by civilian court. After he gets out of jail and returns to military control, he will be prosecuted under the UCMJ. It's not considered double jeopardy because you're under two separate sets of rules.

hahahahaha, just saw this... Yeah....Dougstump knows, too!:dogkeke:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Actually, what I thought was more BS was when guys would get a civilian DWI or some other issue on the weekend that had nothing to do with military, didn't even take any time away from normal duty. And then on Monday, you got an article 15 on top of the DWI. Always felt like that was a bit overkill.

As it was explained to us, it was to make sure we lived up to a higher standard.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    hahahahaha, just saw this... Yeah....Dougstump knows, too!:dogkeke:

Not from personal experience! But sometimes the kids assigned to me would do dumb things and get into trouble, I did everything I could to help them. But sometimes they would dig themselves a pretty deep hole.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Saw a interview with the guy that shot him He said he grabbed a hand full of ammunition and loading his magazine. Who doesn't have a loaded magazines?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Saw a interview with the guy that shot him He said he grabbed a hand full of ammunition and loading his magazine. Who doesn't have a loaded magazines?

If he didn't address that in the interview, I'd bet all of the replies you'd get from us would be guesses. But I'll start the list:

He has small children who regularly visit
    He just got back from a big shoot
    That weapon was not his primary home defense weapon
    He never thought he would be in that position
    His significant other is afraid of guns
    His loaded magazines were locked in a gun safe and he felt it would be quicker to load a new one

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Well, Has anyone started discussing upgrading church security within their own congregation?

Well someone I know said their pastor was very shook up by this and told select members that he wanted to have them wear body armor and have someone with a "sniper rifle" up in the balcony. Apparently a big church. I could imagine that would make people a little uncomfortable, and may be more of a risk than an asset... but I'm no expert.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    I say do whatever the church feels comfortable with.

I believe a good idea would be too have a security guard outside the church
    during church time.If someone was there to defeat anyone trying to do anything.
    Seems that would at least somewhere to start.

Im sure their are many people that are security guards or at least would go
    to the security guard training and get a certificate,that are members of the
    church..I have taken that test,it is by far wayyyy easier than getting a ccw:(
    I think that is what they require you to do to CCW in a church in some states.

You cant shoot people if you cant get in.I have friends that past the security
    guard test.These were very common people with absolutely no training with
    firearms of any kind..And that includes women as well.

Oh and Noob ,that video was awsum.I have sent the link to well over 27 sites
    ,forums and other places:) Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom