Thanks to the 20 guys who gave me the same answer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Cocked and locked is the only way to go. Incorporate the operation of the safety into your grip.

Art

Art don't say much but everything he say seems spot on.

When I establish the grip on a 1911 my right hand thumb rides the safety. Learn to grip the gun, work out your grip and you will be better and enjoy shooting it more. What Paul Gomez showed us has its merits. Right index (trigger) finger on ejection port helps me establish a better grip even though is more for safety. A win-win. It feels awkward at first because its a bit of a stretch to reach it, but it works.

I'm no expert, but I did beat a guy with a Glock at a bowling pin match.

Carrying a 1911 is not wrong but a Glock is hard to argue against. Getting past the Glock "safety" can be hard for guys used to traditional safeties. You need to spend time with any gun before carrying it.

I think part of attending classes it that the things read here get illustrated. Also different aspects come together and you get to see why your weapon manipulation (gun handling) can be your failure.

I once organized a 1911 night with a bunch of guys. You didn't have to have a 1911 but it was the theme. It was fun and everyone shot every gun there, which was also not a requirement. Really great night at the range.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    "Thanks to the 20 guys who gave me the same answer "

If that is how you saw the answers to your question then a lot was lost on you.

There is a wealth of knowledge here among some of the gentleman here. Maybe next time some of the knowledgable guys here won't waste your time.

Last edited:

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    ETA: striker fired pistols such as glocks, XD's and sigmas are, essentially, "cocked" all of the time when loaded. You just can't see the working parts like on a 1911.

WHUT, you say? Maybe there should be exposed parts so you can see that the Glock is not "cocked", part of the trigger pull is pulling the striker back for momentum...

I don't like the 1911 for carry because the gun is sharp and needs dehorning , heavy and the safety is too easy to sweep off in holster and carry.

But to discount it for no de-coker ???

Last edited:

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    :confused: I'm confused. I was bascially closing down the thread, because my question was very thoroughly answer beyond my satisfaction.

Rainman

Justified!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Near I-55 & I-12
    This is an old debate. No, walking around with a cocked hammer does not bother me.

ETA: striker fired pistols such as glocks, XD's and sigmas are, essentially, "cocked" all of the time when loaded. You just can't see the working parts like on a 1911.

Just saw this and wanted to say that a Glocks (and surely the others listed) striker is not under tension when a round is chambered.
    It isn't until the trigger is being pulled that the striker goes back under spring tension.
    Someone may have already addressed this, I didn't read the whole thread.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    :confused: I'm confused. I was bascially closing down the thread, because my question was very thoroughly answer beyond my satisfaction.

I took it the wrong way then. My apologies. It is worded so it could taken either way and your avatar pic doesn't help. (Made it sound reality show bitchy)

There are a lot of 1911 topics that you can get into more deeply that are touched upon in the answers. Some have cause week long debates on the internet.

Oh, God Carries a 1911 is what I've heard.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I took it the wrong way then. My apologies. It is worded so it could taken either way and your avatar pic doesn't help. (Made it sound reality show bitchy)

There are a lot of 1911 topics that you can get into more deeply that are touched upon in the answers. Some have cause week long debates on the internet.

Oh, God Carries a 1911 is what I've heard.

Youtube Hard Gay and you'll see why it's my avatar.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you carry a pistol, why would you need a hammer?

:rofl: ROFL :rofl:

Oh, and I believe that, while glocks are 'cocked' until you pull on the trigger, XD's are cocked the moment you pull the slide back, and the only way to de-**** them is to try fire. Someone please educate me if I'm wrong.

Rainman

Justified!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Near I-55 & I-12
    Oh, and I believe that, while glocks are 'cocked' until you pull on the trigger, XD's are cocked the moment you pull the slide back, and the only way to de-**** them is to try fire. Someone please educate me if I'm wrong.

Sigma is just like the Glock in that manner, not sure on the XD's, never had one or handled one. Being all made like the Glock I wouldn't see why the XD would operate differently. But I don't know that for sure on them. ?? I would like to know also.

When a round is chambered (slide racked) on a Glock, the firing pin (striker) is in the same position if there wasn't a round chambered and you dry fired it.
    It isn't until you pull the trigger back that the trigger bar pulls the striker back, then it drops down out of the way and releases the striker at full trigger pull.

There was a site that I used to go to that had a working Glock picture, you could click on any part and see it in action. But it slips my mind what site it was.

Top Bottom