The Best Mexican Food In the Greater Nola Area Thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Dang, just wrote up a lot of stuff but lost it while searching for a Mexican restaurant I couldn't remember the name of. Now I'm pissed and don't want to rewrite all that so bottom line: what's your beat Mexican?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Dang, just wrote up a lot of stuff but lost it while searching for a Mexican restaurant I couldn't remember the name of. Now I'm pissed and don't want to rewrite all that so bottom line: what's your beat Mexican?

A Beat Mexican?

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Depends. Are you looking for something that's more Mexican or more Tex Mex? Or are you looking for something like Pancho's used to be? Either way, your luck will be as good or better in Kenner as in the city.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    I can't say it's the best, but the best for the money in my opinion is El Portal in Covington. I grade Chinese and Mexican by two primary metrics; #1 is it palatable, and #2 has it ever kept me up until 3AM sitting on a toilet.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Don't know if it's still there, but there was a food truck semi-permanently parked on Alcee Fortier in the east. Had people working there that couldn't speak English, so I would guess it's authentic. But I'm not the biggest fan of Mexican so my "ideal" of good Mexican may vary from yours.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Some background: I've been to Mexico a couple of times, and I mean deep Mexico not like the port or border cities, and the food there was a little on the bland side not very spicy. I haven't really seen anything here to get close to it except maybe Felipe's which I really enjoy.
    I do like the taco trucks, there is one on the way to Chalmette right there on Judge Perez that I like a lot, but for the most part they all seem to be about the same.
    I went to Jalisco on Williams a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Oddly enough some of the best Mexican food I've had was actually in a little place right outside of Jackson Mississippi.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Again not in Nola, but there is a place not far from me in Crowley, LA. called "Eldorados" that I really like. Owned and served by true Mexicans. Good food and decent prices in my opinion. I really like their chimachungas, fajitas, and the margarittas they serve!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Some background: I've been to Mexico a couple of times, and I mean deep Mexico not like the port or border cities, and the food there was a little on the bland side not very spicy. I haven't really seen anything here to get close to it except maybe Felipe's which I really enjoy.
    I do like the taco trucks, there is one on the way to Chalmette right there on Judge Perez that I like a lot, but for the most part they all seem to be about the same.
    I went to Jalisco on Williams a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Oddly enough some of the best Mexican food I've had was actually in a little place right outside of Jackson Mississippi.

There is a pretty good place around Wiggins too. I want to go to the Big Apple Inn in Jackson - Pig ear sandwiches and tamales.

My favorite place closed. RIP El Mexicano.

I tend to cherry pick menus when it comes to restaurants. I tend to do tacos & or tamales. Every place has its downside like the way the do certain things or the salsa/chips/something is not my favorite. For example a lot of place now bring the chips, salsa and a tiny little bowl. I also do mex for cheap quick lunches on the weekend. Chile Relenos are also something I get from time to time and enjoy.

Westbank
    I like the tacos @ Taqueria Sanchez. It is just a Taco stand on the side of the road. The only thing I have had their was there tacos and cantaloupe agua fresca, not too sweet but excellent. I get the beef tacos w/no cilanto and grilled onions. Probably the best tacos I have had

Taqueria Conquistador - not bad at all - I have already gotten tacos for breakfast on a Sunday from there - so that is a selling point. I just prefer Sanchez.

El Patron - Tacos - they have about 10 or 12, I like the fish & brisket I am not crazy about other aspects of the place

El Paso - This one: https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-paso-restaurant-gretna - not another El Paso - Very much Mexican.
    Tacos - Goat & head are probably the 2 best. Chorizo & chicharonnes were just nasty to me. There pineapple water is good but sweet.

La Provadencia - Some stuff is pretty good - they were Pupuseria originally and still have some pupusas and sweet corn tamales on the menu. I like the way they do their salsa, served warm.

Los Marachas - I like their Chile Releno. It is also convenient and open on Sunday and pretty late. It is pretty popular. I like their tamales.

Los Panchos - Terrytown
    Someone brought me takeout once and it is worth a visit, I just have not gone in yet. They have a decent cantaloupe agua fresca, just a bit sweeter than Taqueria Sanchez.

East Bank
    Taco El Gordo - I have only done their tacos, which I like. My flan aficionado daughter said their flan was the best she ever had.

El Gato Negro - never been but I have heard very good things.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    When I was still working there was a Mexican woman who worked with us. On the night shift sometimes she would cook enchiladas from scratch. Best I ever had, been searching ever since for a restaurant that has enchiladas as good.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    There is a pretty good place around Wiggins too. I want to go to the Big Apple Inn in Jackson - Pig ear sandwiches and tamales.

My favorite place closed. RIP El Mexicano.

I tend to cherry pick menus when it comes to restaurants. I tend to do tacos & or tamales. Every place has its downside like the way the do certain things or the salsa/chips/something is not my favorite. For example a lot of place now bring the chips, salsa and a tiny little bowl. I also do mex for cheap quick lunches on the weekend. Chile Relenos are also something I get from time to time and enjoy.

Westbank
    I like the tacos @ Taqueria Sanchez. It is just a Taco stand on the side of the road. The only thing I have had their was there tacos and cantaloupe agua fresca, not too sweet but excellent. I get the beef tacos w/no cilanto and grilled onions. Probably the best tacos I have had

Taqueria Conquistador - not bad at all - I have already gotten tacos for breakfast on a Sunday from there - so that is a selling point. I just prefer Sanchez.

El Patron - Tacos - they have about 10 or 12, I like the fish & brisket I am not crazy about other aspects of the place

El Paso - This one: https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-paso-restaurant-gretna - not another El Paso - Very much Mexican.
    Tacos - Goat & head are probably the 2 best. Chorizo & chicharonnes were just nasty to me. There pineapple water is good but sweet.

La Provadencia - Some stuff is pretty good - they were Pupuseria originally and still have some pupusas and sweet corn tamales on the menu. I like the way they do their salsa, served warm.

Los Marachas - I like their Chile Releno. It is also convenient and open on Sunday and pretty late. It is pretty popular. I like their tamales.

Los Panchos - Terrytown
    Someone brought me takeout once and it is worth a visit, I just have not gone in yet. They have a decent cantaloupe agua fresca, just a bit sweeter than Taqueria Sanchez.

East Bank
    Taco El Gordo - I have only done their tacos, which I like. My flan aficionado daughter said their flan was the best she ever had.

El Gato Negro - never been but I have heard very good things.

This!

Plus on the WB, I like La Hacienda, and I think they are doing another El Paso right next to it.

Top Bottom