Thinking of testing the AR-15 waters...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Bolt: is it likely to have a catastrophic sudden failure? No. If it does- will that put the total kibosh on your shooting activities? Yes. Up to you. It is small an integral, so good to have.

I forgot the rings were in that kit. Nevermind.

If it is the otis flexible rod garbage, you are screwed if you get a patch jammed in it. Also, I like to use a patch that is a good, tight fit. Not that I am for hammering a patch down the bore, but I like to get a good solid rub down the bore. I am one of those 'get it spotless' guys. With a Dewey coated one piece rod, you can push on the patch without scratching anything, and the bearing on that thing is super smooth. I bought an Otis kit once, tried it for about 3 minutes and threw it in the infamous gun junk box. I saw a thread on arf a month or so ago where a guy got a patch stuck in his barrel so hard with an Otis kit that it took him like three hours to get it free. Some people like them. To each his own.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I'll be adding this to my lineup by the summer:

MPO4XFTS.jpg
    557.4X MPO Multi Purpose Optic Holographic System​
    557.4XFTS​
    Link
    $1,099​

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    So what's wrong with a good ole boresnake?

I sometimes use it for a quick cleaning when leaving the range, but I find the boresnake is no substitute for my rigorous cleaning habits. For me it is a quick way to get crud out of the barrel at the end of a range session, but it is not my preferred method if I won't be able to shoot for a while.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    wow, I love my eotech but for a grand I'd probably just get an Acog... save the flippy mount and all that extra stuff.

My thing is I am very right handed, but very left eye dominant. If I look through a tube (acog, aimpoint, etc) I cannot keep both eyes open and shoot right handed, because my left eye takes over and tried to disregard whatever my right eye is seeing.

I do not have this problem with EOTech. I can keep both eyes open and see the reticle and target fine. From what I understand, their magnifier keeps that 'open' feel to it. Cost is never my concern. Getting exactly what suits me best is my focus.

bryan0928

SRA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Hammond
    Hey dude

You need more mags, lots and lots of mags....you can't have to many until your swimming in them! Okay really, mabye like 20 per rifle. You have to remember that you may be buying a supply to last forever depending on what these wicked politicians do to us.

Picture.jpg

200 AR mags. Missing my AK mags that I deleted the pic of

I just order 100 when I get back from each deployment. Two deployments so far.
    Now i just have to pony up the cash to get them loaded...anyone have $2500.00?

I use boresnakes on all of my rifles....although, I have never run a patch through afterwards to see how well they work. I do know my bore is shiny as hell after I put it through a few times. I should do a test and get back to you, but I'll probably put it off and forget.

ETA: and nothing says essential accessory like another AR15 :)

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    It depends on what you want out of your rifle. I know people who have beater ARs that get <2moa that only squirt a little oil in the vent holes and run a snake with clp on it through the bore when they shoot.

I want to preserve every bit that I can on my whole rifle. Plus, I just like knowing it is pristine. I am that way with all my tools. My DeWalt tools look like they just came out of the box last month, even though they are several years old. My shop has like $40K in tools in it- they are the same. I even dust them off if they haven't been used in awhile.

Call me Adrian Monk, I don't know. A clean workplace is a safe workplace.

bryan0928

SRA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Hammond
    It depends on what you want out of your rifle. I know people who have beater ARs that get <2moa that only squirt a little oil in the vent holes and run a snake with clp on it through the bore when they shoot.

I want to preserve every bit that I can on my whole rifle. Plus, I just like knowing it is pristine. I am that way with all my tools. My DeWalt tools look like they just came out of the box last month, even though they are several years old. My shop has like $40K in tools in it- they are the same. I even dust them off if they haven't been used in awhile.

Call me Adrian Monk, I don't know. A clean workplace is a safe workplace.

Hey Adrian Monk, an OCD free workplace is a safe workplace:D

to the OP: Probably the best idea is to test the snake out for yourself and see if it satisfatory for you.

A+ on the spare parts kits, most people put off buying those, but you never know when you might break something.(non of my rifles have ever broken anything so you should be good to go)

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Hey Adrian Monk, an OCD free workplace is a safe workplace:D
    +1 :rofl:
    to the OP: Probably the best idea is to test the snake out for yourself and see if it satisfatory for you.
    Well I use a boresnake on all my other longguns, and I do like them. However, I know the AR requires a much more detailed cleaning than one of my AKs or shotgun...
    A+ on the spare parts kits, most people put off buying those, but you never know when you might break something.(non of my rifles have ever broken anything so you should be good to go)
    I try to lay in a supply of spare parts for all my guns. Just makes common sense to me, since EVERY gun I own is for SHTF...

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You need more mags, lots and lots of mags....you can't have to many until your swimming in them! Okay really, mabye like 20 per rifle. You have to remember that you may be buying a supply to last forever depending on what these wicked politicians do to us.

Picture.jpg

200 AR mags. Missing my AK mags that I deleted the pic of
    Unfortunately, don't have the cash to spend on tons of mags right now. Gonna have to make due with 10 to begin with. I do take donations though. :p :D :rofl:
    ETA: and nothing says essential accessory like another AR15 :)
    Well by election time, that is the plan...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    AR10 before election FTW!

Adjustable Gas System to Optimize Rifle Function with Suppressor
    Armalite Floating Rail System with Rail Covers
    Magpul Adjustable Buttstock

Caliber: 7.62mm NATO
    Barrel: 20" Triple lapped,Ceramic Coated Stainless Steel Match, Threaded 5/8x24
    Rifling Twist: RH 1:11.25"
    Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor with Detach Sound Supprssor or Mock Suppressor
    Front Sight Base: Quad Picatinny Rail Handguard
    Upper Receiver: Forged Flattop with Picatinny Rail & Laser Engraved Rail Numbering
    Trigger: Finely Tuned Two Stage Tactical Match
    Overall Length: 44.5"
    Weight: 14 LBS
    Accuracy: 1 MOA
    Included with Rifle: One 10 Round Magazine, One 20 Round Magazine, USMC Quick Adjustable Sling, Sling Swivel Mount, Owners Manual, Limited Lifetime Warranty

AR10 SuperSASS RIFLE
    $2,999​

bryan0928

SRA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Hammond
    Hey BR, you suffer from the exact same thing I do....gotta have atleast 2 of everything.

It tends to cost me about twice as much to buy a gun as most people....if you catch my drift.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    So how does this sound for a basic supply kit for the gun box:

Field Repair Kit $32.00

Stag Arms Field Repair Kit
    This is the perfect kit for the shooter that likes to be prepared.
    This kit includes (from the left):
    Extractor spring insert, Extractor spring, Cam pin, Trigger Spring, Firing pin,
    2 pcs Firing pin retaining pin, Safety detent, Extractor pin, Detent Spring,
    3 pcs Gas Ring, Disconnector, Hammer Spring.

Lost Parts Replacement Kit $13.00

Kit with some of the most commonly lost parts. Don't let a tiny spring or detent stop you from shooting.

4 Takedown Pin Detents
    4 Takedown Pin Detent Springs
    2 Buffer Retainers
    2 Buffer Retainer Springs
    2 Safety Detent
    2 Safety Detent Springs
    2 Extractor Spring Inserts
    2 Extractor Springs

Otis .22-.30 Cal. Rifle Cleaning Kit $11.00

7 CProducts 30rd USGI Mags w/Orange Magpul follower $70.00

Anything else scream ESSENTIAL to you that I am missing? How important is getting a spare bolt?

Where you getting thos parts - price looks good.

You can disassemble the BCG / Bolt over a hat that way any dropped parts hopefully land in the hat.

The roll pin that holds the gas tube in the FSB & is cheap insurance. You can thank my cat for that piece of advice. He helped me lose mine. It is something that you can get before it is needed. A 1/16 stainless cotter pin has worked so far, I did that as a temporay fix til after I made sure the barrel was reinstalled & aligned properly. Why the barrel was off is another story, cat is not to blame.

I would be careful what you use to clean the chamber with. I had a GI chamber brush that looked like it was designed by the enemy to ruin AR chambers. The end was cut so that it would scratch metal. Not good.

A baby bottle brush & GI toothbrush is good to help clean with.

A spare bolt would be important at say a 'Carbine School' if you had to swap it out to keep going. As you stated that is a luxury.

Other than that You need a Gripplate from Gripplates.com - My website!

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    +1 on the jp's! John Paul makes some nice things.They are very acurate and very nice. Just a lil pricy. I want a ctr-02. The viking tactical's are also nice. You should see the new 308 ar he is building it is nice. I would post pic;s but i am not sure if he released it yet.

Top Bottom