Thinking of testing the AR-15 waters...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    You can build Stag for in the $700's I believe, at least if the deals are still running. At one time you could buy an entire Stag kit, everything except the stripped lower for about $645. Buy a lower for around $100 and you have a complete brand new.

I have two Anvil Arms lowers that I got during the Arfcom Gulf States group buy, they are EXCELLENT lowers, I havent built mine yet but many have with zero problems. Plus, they do custom laser engraving.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well I just put in an order for a NIB Stag M2. :bravo: :rockon: :D Guess I am crossing from the darkside into the light. Call me... DAYWALKER... :rofl: :p
    So lets talk Mags, Rear Sights (They don't mention one on the vendors ad, but the M2 is supposed to come with the MI ERS), and Accesories. What else do I need, and where is the best place to get 'em?

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Well, I sold some old things that I don't have time to use anymore, so I figure I could get pick up an AR with the procedes. Only thing I am worried about is that they will start to multiply like the AKs did. Originally I only intended to get one AK, and some how I ended up with 5 AKs (well, 4 and a PMKMS kit that needs building). Something tells me, if left alone in a safe, ARs multiply almost as fast. :eek3:

It is amazing how they manage to breed like rabbits:D

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    You can build Stag for in the $700's I believe, at least if the deals are still running. At one time you could buy an entire Stag kit, everything except the stripped lower for about $645. Buy a lower for around $100 and you have a complete brand new.

I have two Anvil Arms lowers that I got during the Arfcom Gulf States group buy, they are EXCELLENT lowers, I havent built mine yet but many have with zero problems. Plus, they do custom laser engraving.

I built a whole rifle out of new and used parts for around $500 for a "beater" AR. It is ugly as hell and has a canted FSB but it works and has never failed me! One more thing, the upper is a 16" 1/7 Colt that I picked up for $300 on gunbroker!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    What do you think of the CMMG Bargin Bin USGI Mag Sale $9.95 green follower 30rders? Good deal?

You can get them from a few place for that price last time I checked. I don't get the 100 pack pricing it is almost the same a the 10 packs. Look at price after shipping & handling also.

From a previous post here:

I have Cproducts, & 1 Pmag & D&H from Bravo,
    I'd rate them in that order, the pmag may take first, but the D&H will be 3rd.
    I got the pmag last & have not used it (much since last posted)

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-...0 10pack.htm

All things considered dollar for dollar & pound for pound the Cproducts are the best of the 3 for me. The green followers arent as good as my orange ones in the Cproducts. Some folks have reported defective Cproducts mags. Green followers may be adequate, none have failed/malfunctioned.

The Pmags are little heavier, cost a little more, & quite beautiful, but can't say they are the best. They are easy to disassemble & reassemble. I'm concerned about long term reliabilty, but aluminum mags can crack & fail also.
    The follower appears to be awesome. Another plus is the plastic color is not a finish but goes trough. If I'm not mistaken an empty pmag is noisier than CProducts, spring rattling
    If your going to use your mags to drive on get Pmags. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc&NR=1

Hope that helps,
    RDO

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm not into all the rails & gadgets

Mags & sights are a must.

Rear Sights:
    I have a detatchable carry handle. Dont know who made it. I walked around the gunshow until I found a tight one. There is a bit of variance in the amount of slop in the rear sight from one to the next - even from one mfgr. That was my experience. There are some good companies making good sights. BUIS Back Up Iron Sights is the term:
    http://yhm.net/store/sights.html
    http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?cat=40&parents=38

I consider a Sling to be a high priority - I would get a 2 point & not spend too much to get started & then decide what you want before spending the money on a high dollar sling.
    Single point is not the way to go for the most part. but it depends on what you are doing also.

A Tac-bag or hard case can be a nice thing to have.

Cleaning & lube - you already have it covered I assume cause your into guns already.

I would consider these before getting into some other items like optics, lights, VFG, Bipod.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    44mag.com has Cproducts Aluminum mags with magpul followers and your choise of SS or CS springs for 9.99. The Stainless steel mags are 12.95. they also have the D&H Black Teflon coated mags for 9.49 ea with standard green follower. If you are looking for 20 rounders, look for the older Colt or simmonds mags with the alloy follower.

Edited to add: I have some of the teflon mags, and they are nice, the teflon is inside and out, and actually is very durable, dont think of the teflon like on a cheap skillet

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    44mag.com has Cproducts Aluminum mags with magpul followers and your choise of SS or CS springs for 9.99. The Stainless steel mags are 12.95. they also have the D&H Black Teflon coated mags for 9.49 ea with standard green follower. If you are looking for 20 rounders, look for the older Colt or simmonds mags with the alloy follower.

Edited to add: I have some of the teflon mags, and they are nice, the teflon is inside and out, and actually is very durable, dont think of the teflon like on a cheap skillet

+1 for C Products, i ordered 10 from here.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C_Products_AR15_30rd_.223_mag_w__Green_follower.html

magarcp30.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom