This is another if the SHTF, which rifle would you choose thread, with restrictions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This is another if the SHTF, which rifle would you choose thread, with restri...

You're right, dumb idea. Everybody should go check out the 1911 vs Glock thread, it sounds really interesting.

It isn't. Both those fan boys are too dedicated to their feelings to have rational thought.

At least you tried. And that counts for something. Also you didn't get too upset by my messing with you which I appreciate. I've had dumb ideas too.

In order to play along I'm going to go with a slingshot. I don't like my neighbor and they have little to contribute in a survival situation.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I REALLY want and RMR-30... probably be another decade before they're released.

I can go cordless on the porter cable but I have to move slowly with a generator and a compressor on my back!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    No one has mentioned AIR-SOFT yet.

The best "survival" "bug out" "shtf" weapon is could quite arguably be a pellet rifle. That idea just isn't fun on a gun forum, but anyone with brains knows its a very valid option.

Its almost weightless, its near silent all by itself, ammo is ~ 5 bucks for 500 rounds, and it'll drop small game all day long. But since it isn't manly, just revert to bayoushooter wisdom of needing 5 AK's and 150 magazines.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The best "survival" "bug out" "shtf" weapon is could quite arguably be a pellet rifle. That idea just isn't fun on a gun forum, but anyone with brains knows its a very valid option.

Its almost weightless, its near silent all by itself, ammo is ~ 5 bucks for 500 rounds, and it'll drop small game all day long. But since it isn't manly, just revert to bayoushooter wisdom of needing 5 AK's and 150 magazines.

I will never not have my pellet rifle. It always has a place at the table. Manly or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    My Marlin stainless bolt-action .22 Magnum rifle. Simple, rugged, will take anything from small game to deer to bad people if necessary. Can carry LOTS of ammo.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    My Marlin stainless bolt-action .22 Magnum rifle. Simple, rugged, will take anything from small game to deer to bad people if necessary. Can carry LOTS of ammo.

Really? I know it can take a person down but I was under the impression .22 Magnum would be WAY too small for deer unless you just like torturing them. I guess I learn something every day...

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Really? I know it can take a person down but I was under the impression .22 Magnum would be WAY too small for deer unless you just like torturing them. I guess I learn something every day...

there aren't too many creatures that survive a bullet to the eye. shot placement is king, caliber is queen

1911 is obviously the jester

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    You people's are silly. I'm just going to my back yard and ride my sherman tank up to St. Fransisville. They have plenty of fresh water and BIG deers to live off of. I just hope I have enough diesel to get there.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Ok, I have read a number of these threads on this and other forums and I don't want this to turn into another reliable AK vs accurate AR argument. So I'm going to eleminate those from your choices.

Lets say there is a national catastrophe such as an economic collapse, EMP, plague, or other disaster on a national scale that wipes out all the food in the stores and the scope of it prevents FEMA & Federal government from swooping in to help the poor folks. People would be evacuating the cities in search of rural areas to find food and water (Me included). What rifle would you grab as your second choice, or what would you grab for a liberal neighbor who suddenly has seen the light, or your wife who thinks black guns are "Ugly", or for a young teenager.

I'm going to eleminate some weapons because they are obvious choices:
    NO AKs or any variant.
    NO ARs or any variant.
    NO M14, M1a, Grande or 30 Carbine.
    NO military specific rifles, either in use, was used, or was designed for, such as FALs, SKSs, SCARs, AUGs, PS90s or anything like that.
    NO Military bolt guns, such as 1903s, 1917s, Mausers, Mosin Nagants & Enfields,
    NO 12ga pump or auto Shotguns.
    NO Scoped Deer rifles.
    NO Ruger 10/22s, all other 22s are acceptable.
    NO 50BMG rifles (lets keep it real).

I know this limits your options but that's the point. What's left you ask, Combo guns, Lever Actions, Scout rifles (Like the Ruger or any non-scoped commercial bolt gun), 22S, Keltec Sub2000 or SU-16, Mechtech CCU, Marlin Camp, Beretta Storm, Rossi Circuit Judge or single shot with the 3 interchangable barrels and pump action rifles. You don't have to choose from this list, if you can think of something else, I like to know.

If you would like to include handguns as backup to the rifle in this discussion, that's fine. I think a Glock 22 or 23 with a Lonewolf 40 to 9mm barrel would be the best handgun choice even though I hate the grip angle of the Glock. I much prefer an XDm but Glocks are more common. I don't want this to turn into another Glock vs 1911 argument either.

I'm going to eleminate some handguns as well, UNLESS paired with a carbine rifle:
    NO 1911s or any variants.
    NO Glocks, XDm or M&Ps.
    NO 92FS or M9s.

I own most (not all) of the weapons on the restricted lists and want to know what's left as a good choice and why you think so.

Remember, this is a "what if" discussion and I'm not going to sell my FALs to buy a Rossi combo barrel single shot and a TT-33. Also, I'm not going to be walking 10 miles a day with a 70lb pack after burying my gun in mud with no cleaning supplies and have to shoot zombies. I just want to know what weapons would be a good alternative to have. If I could get a modern drilling with 12ga, 308 and 22lr barrel, I'd like to know.

Remington 870, and the standard three choke tubes. Nothing in the Gulf South that you can't take down with the right shell or slug.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    This thread is tough. It took out all of my long guns except for a couple double barrels, a black powder burner, and a 22, all of which I would leave in the safe.

Luckily It didn't hit alot of handguns. I think I'd start with a VZ 52 and a S&W 4046. Back up calibers run from 32 ACP to S&W 500.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom