This is Messed up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    SAN ANTONIO, TX -- A man was tasered by police for attempting to save his son's life. A house fire had broken out and trapped his 8-month-old infant son inside. Police prevented his attempts at rescuing the baby by tasering the man. The baby died in the blaze.

Trying to find more info before I freak out

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Did you stop to consider that the man was probably hysterical and by him going back into the house, he would be dead as well?

Sure, the headline sounds like your favorite "scumbag cop" behavior, but I would be willing to bet there's much more to the story.

Keep on crusading.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I would risk my life for the chance of saving my child. Regardless of the details I think a parent should have that choice. If you knew your child was gonna die and you had only a 10% chance to save their life but a 90% chance you would die in the process would you still do it? I would, but maybe Im just crazy.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I would risk my life for the chance of saving my child. Regardless of the details I think a parent should have that choice. If you knew your child was gonna die and you had only a 10% chance to save their life but a 90% chance you would die in the process would you still do it? I would, but maybe Im just crazy.

100%

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I'm not looking at it as a "scumbag cop" issue, but me personally, I would have a hard time stopping a guy from trying to save his kid. I'd have no problem holding a man back from running back in and rescuing his pet rabbit or the contents of his safe but his kid? Yeah, I dont think I could do that. That's just me though. As was said before, I'm sure there are other parts of the story.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Dropped their kids off at 2:30am to go get some food. House catches on fire. Grandparents run out and forget the baby?!

Sounds like the whole situation is a cluster**** from the beginning. I can't imagine why the police wouldn't allow him in the house and it sounds pretty bad at facw value. But based on the facts so far I'll wait for more info.

And yeah, I would take the 10% chance. Hell even 1% would do it for me.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    http://www.newsmax.com/thewire/father-tasered-trying-save/2013/06/05/id/508212

There were conflicting reports about the father, who was not identified, re-entering the home, according to the Express-News. Odell Wallace, the father of the man tasered and the grandfather of the deceased child, said his son tried to run back into the burning home to save his son but was restrained when he was shot with a Taser by San Antonio police.

A police spokesman told the newspaper that the infant's body had already been discovered, “and the scene was being processed when (the) male tried to forcibly enter the scene.”

In another report the father of the man tasered said his son probably would have died in the fire trying to save the baby.

So it's now a "he said she said" thing.

I really really really hope the scene was being processed like the leos said.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Im just curious why they were even thinking about a taser when a child was burning alive inside...

I imagine the child had already died and the father was unwilling to accept. Any father would do the same. The tasering was likely out of mercy. I'm sure he was not thinking about the fact that if he died also, his wife would have lost a child and a baby.

Sad story.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    If they "recovered" the body before the father got there, why didn't they just say "hey buddy your kid isn't in the house". Something doesn't make sense. I understand a parent being crazy at the possibility of a child in danger, but its hard to believe that they would try to save a child that they knew wasn't in the house any longer? We arn't getting the full or correct story...gotta love the media.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ar...dies-in-E-Side-fire-4569644.php#photo-4726121
    A spokesman for SAPD said the infant's body had already been discovered, *and the scene was being processed when (the) male tried to forcibly enter the scene.*

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ar...dies-in-E-Side-fire-4569644.php#ixzz2VRf6slY0

Gotta love media spin... Sad that a local news broadcast misled it in such a way - it really got the cop-suspicious and cop-hating crowds in arms, judging from my google results.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    SVT & Leadfoot; Even though your interactions are quite amusing at times, and usually end in labeling each other; I personally appreciate the debates.

I think it's healthy to read the opposing viewpoints from your two sides of the spectrum specifically.

Topic: I would have tried to save my kid without any percentage of success; as long as I thought I had a chance.

Rooda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Dallas via Bunkie
    We were not there but your 10% success rate may have been high for the situation. Would tend to side with the unemotional/rational thinkers over the irrational as to what should have been done. I have a child so understand the impulse and really don't question the fathers action. But I also believe the police probably saved him from throwing his life away.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If the scene was already being processed and the baby already dead and discovered, did they actually save him?
    When they say "body discovered" and not "baby recovered" I'm pretty sure the boy didn't survive. Oh and headlines read "8 month old dies in house fire" so... don't hold your breath.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    When they say "body discovered" and not "baby recovered" I'm pretty sure the boy didn't survive. Oh and headlines read "8 month old dies in house fire" so... don't hold your breath.

I think we are not understanding each other...The police claim they saved the FATHER'S life by preventing his attempts to save the BABY. The police claim the scene was already being processed and the baby's dead body was already discovered, before the FATHER tried to enter the home.

So I ask again (in a more clear manner), If the scene was already being processed and the baby already dead and discovered, did they actually save the FATHER from anything?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think we are not understanding each other...The police claim they saved the FATHER'S life by preventing his attempts to save the BABY. The police claim the scene was already being processed and the baby's dead body was already discovered, before the FATHER tried to enter the home.

So I ask again (in a more clear manner), If the scene was already being processed and the baby already dead and discovered, did they actually save the FATHER from anything?

The police never claimed they saved the father from anything. If the scene was already being processed at that point, they were preventing him from interfering with an investigation.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    The police never claimed they saved the father from anything. If the scene was already being processed at that point, they were preventing him from interfering with an investigation.

oh that's right, the grandfather said the police saved his son's life by preventing his access b/c the house was still ablaze.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom