This is proof that the country is flooded with unqualified CHL instructors...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    SHHHHH!!! The ATF is listening.

However, it would be nice to see them receive more training, and to THINK about purchasing a firearm prior to ownership, PERIOD.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    There is only 1 qualification for being a CHL instructor: now how to work a rubber stamp.

It is up to YOU to know what you are doing before you go to the class.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Ahh, the many abbreviations for a concealed handgun permit.....

CHL, CCW, CWP, CHP.....

What are some others that could work?

How about:

HHFP: Handgun Hidden From Public

GTYCS: Gat That You Can't See

YDNKIIHAH: You Do Not Know If I Have A Handgun

YIAGAIAGTSY: Yes, It's a Glock- And I Am Glad To See You

:dogkeke: Sorry....I just find it kinda funny how many different terminologies there are floating around out there! :D

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Why do people, out of fear, purchase a product they know nothing about, and thing that pointing it will save them if an attacker comes? Sure it may happen, but it is more likely you'll get a free ride to the morgue.

chads7

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Picayune
    "After the shooting the student, identified as Crystal Smith, was driven to a convenience store at the intersection of Highway 225 and I-85..."

Someone needed a pack of cigs?

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    A guy in my class asked the following question.

"What's the difference between a semi-automatic and a revolver?"

He was renewing his permit. I kid you not.

I overheard the same guy ask "What's the handle that you pull on a shotgun?" of the range cashier. The cashier replied in a questioning manner "The pump?" and the guy just stared at him like he was wrong.

There's at least one in every bunch.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What can be done about the problem?

Well, first of all- I do not claim to be some kind of expert, by any means. However, whenever I hear a person say something gun related that I know beyond the shadow of a doubt to be wrong, I make an attempt to point them in the right direction. I'm not saying I'm a crusader (as if :rolleyes:), but I am sort of a "every little bit helps" kind of guy. Perhaps if more people did this- along will at least making a suggestion about them getting some training for the betterment of themselves- we'd over time begin to see less of these things that make us all cringe.

Just a thought, anyway.:)

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The obvious cure to this, in my opinion, is to get rid of the obtuse and harmful position of instructor. Permits should be given out without this class requirement.

The Second Amendment is my concealed weapons permit. Further infringement is wrong.

There will be stupid people and unsafe people doing stupid things with their guns. No class and no instructor will change that. Just as the gunowners are human, so too are the instructors. Only now, we have those same stupid people able to point blame at an instructor. Dreadful the day will be when an instructor finds himself sued because some ******* took his class and then feels the instructor is responsible when that ******* goes and does something "he was never taught" is wrong.

It's up to the individual to go and receive training on their own. It's true now with our current state of class curriculum. It'll be true with no curriculum or more curriculum. The day you have a class that makes you think "Yes, now this person -is- prepared to carry their handgun in public" is the day the class is too damned expensive, inconvenient, or without willing instructor to lay his neck on the line to teach it for there to be any classroom full of participants, save the wealthy or elite.

The current system is a circus, a dog and pony show, an impotent and ineffectual charade that achieves nothing and only serves to make good law abiding people take a day off their work so they can go get fingerprinted after losing a day of their weekend to a course that tells them nothing they couldn't learn on their own, and leaves them no more responsible or better of character than before.

You can't train away stupid, lazy, apathetic, immorality, ego, or any other human fault.

I don't think it would take up more fingers than I have on one hand to count the number of times I read a news article about a "not good shoot" that was motivated by a shooter or defender shooting their perceived oppressor because they thought they were on the right side of the specific statute regarding justifiable homicide, only to find out they were wrong, and oops, now they go to jail for misinterpreting the law because they didn't have a professional teach it to them. I can't think of once where a person killed someone thinking they were in the right, and had been through instructional courses, and found out the other way around. It's typically murder, or vengeance, or some combination.

The current system is wrong, logically, financially, and constitutionally, and anyone who stands around arguing about how to make it more effective is an enemy to the Second Amendment rights we should all be championing, or a fool who thinks it -is- possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Top Bottom