Thoughts about dwindling down on collection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    Hey gang,

Wanted to get some opinions from everyone. I have a decent collection built over the years but I am seriously considering selling off most of it. I do not shoot as a hobby and I would keep guns that I felt were necessary (hunting rifle, carry gun, bug, home defense shotgun, etc).

Most of them were impulse buys and I just don't see that they are serving a need at the moment. None of them are necessarily collectors pieces that would be of any importance passed down or anything of that nature and honestly my children would not put much importance on them anyway.

Anybody had similar thoughts or actually sold off the majority of their collection? Spent years buying and trading but I guess I'm coming to a point in my life where things don't matter as much as they used to.

jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    I am 42 and this sounds a lot like blasphemy to me.... LOL...
    Lol I understand it may sound odd to most of us on here. I guess I'm just in a phase of life where if I don't use it, get rid of it. Maybe I'll snap out of it. And honestly, I do not use them. I don't go to the range and I don't see that or any other circumstance changing to where it would be justified to own a number of guns that I realistically will not use.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ve been collecting since the 80’s and I’ve trimmed mine a few times over the years and still mean to. The last time I really unloaded some guns was about 5 yeas ago. I pulled a number of long guns and handguns out, just those that had any significance at all and had my 3 grown kids come over and each choose one at a time until they were all handed down. I sold about a dozen more. In the 5 years since, I’ve likely bought about half the number I let go. I’ve got over a dozen I could stand to sell now, lol. My problem is duplication. Guns that I like or see a really good deal on, I tend to buy more than one of. That adds up fast.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've done a bit of this, but I've just been selling off a few extras, duplicates, and stuff I don't use to replace them with nicer stuff I'll use.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’ve been collecting since the 80’s and I’ve trimmed mine a few times over the years and still mean to. The last time I really unloaded some guns was about 5 yeas ago. I pulled a number of long guns and handguns out, just those that had any significance at all and had my 3 grown kids come over and each choose one at a time until they were all handed down. I sold about a dozen more. In the 5 years since, I’ve likely bought about half the number I let go. I’ve got over a dozen I could stand to sell now, lol. My problem is duplication. Guns that I like or see a really good deal on, I tend to buy more than one of. That adds up fast.
    I have that same problem. If I like a gun I feel like I need 2 or 3 of them for some reason. I’ve gotten better about not buying multiples of the same gun. It I still have a few in my collection.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I had to sell off most of my stuff, and it makes me sad to this day...even though it was part of saving my own life from corporate hell.

If you're above 60, kids don't want the stuff, grandkids aren't worthy or interested, sell it now and everyone will thank you. If your kids don't care they will probably not see the value in what you have anyway, and it will be sold off the same way.

Under 60, probably going to live a long time...hang on to them.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I’ve come to a point where space is an issue and evacuating for a hurricane or moving makes it a pain. More than one person will ever need so I started selling two and buying 1 nicer with the money to have a smaller collection of nicer stuff

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Getting a table at a gun show used to be a good way to sell off a collection quickly IF you had realistic prices put on the guns. Gun shows aren't what they used to be anymore with high table and entry prices, and lower numbers of vendors and attendees.

I've had good experiences selling on here, although can be slow. If it doesn't sell, drop the price until you get interest and keep the latest price in the title.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Hey gang,

Wanted to get some opinions from everyone. I have a decent collection built over the years but I am seriously considering selling off most of it. I do not shoot as a hobby and I would keep guns that I felt were necessary (hunting rifle, carry gun, bug, home defense shotgun, etc).

Most of them were impulse buys and I just don't see that they are serving a need at the moment. None of them are necessarily collectors pieces that would be of any importance passed down or anything of that nature and honestly my children would not put much importance on them anyway.

Anybody had similar thoughts or actually sold off the majority of their collection? Spent years buying and trading but I guess I'm coming to a point in my life where things don't matter as much as they used to.
    I sold my whole collection a couple years ago. I stressed a lot over having a house full of guns while evaluating or traveling and just had no interest in keeping a big collection of guns anymore. Don’t miss them one bit.

Boomer51

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2023
    Deridder, LA
    I've been slowly gifting my guns to family and friends for the last five years. The family hand me down guns went to grandsons that appreciate them. I'll be selling off quite a few in the next year. The FedEx and UPS shipping rules really screwed me up.

BUT, I have this disease that attracts interesting firearms and they follow me home and the collection doesn't seem to shrink. I may just make a list with prices and photos and just send it to friends to pass around.

I had good luck a few years ago selling on Guns International but going thru a dealer for shipping isn't cost effective. I've looked at ShipMyGuns.com but not really comfortable with them due to reviews. I may try a few to see how much hassle it is.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I've been slowly gifting my guns to family and friends for the last five years. The family hand me down guns went to grandsons that appreciate them. I'll be selling off quite a few in the next year. The FedEx and UPS shipping rules really screwed me up.

BUT, I have this disease that attracts interesting firearms and they follow me home and the collection doesn't seem to shrink. I may just make a list with prices and photos and just send it to friends to pass around.

I had good luck a few years ago selling on Guns International but going thru a dealer for shipping isn't cost effective. I've looked at ShipMyGuns.com but not really comfortable with them due to reviews. I may try a few to see how much hassle it is.
    send the list this way lol!

EdRo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2022
    Ruston
    Hey gang,

I'd encourage you to limit your calibers. I'm trying to stick with the most common ones, unless I just really like the gun and reload for it. I've still got more calibers than needed with 9, 38, 357, 44, 45+ rifle stuff. Just don't want to have a gun but no ammo for it. The idea already mentioned of selling the common, less expensive stuff and have a nice older out of production piece is nice.

pfirefighter2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2022
    My view of my ownership is that it is an investment(I have a mix of historical, not necessarily collector's value guns, and modern firearms). I will have nobody who appreciates them, to hand them down to. My best bet is when I get older, sell them, but hope that is a good while into the future.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I talk to friends about this topic more and more as we get older. I don't want my wife to have to sell them, so I am gifting some of mine now to responsible family members that demonstrate to my satisfaction that they actually WANT them to keep, and know how to shoot and care for them.

As for selling, tbh NOW is not the best time to be a seller. Get the timing right then set up at a bigger gun show and price them to move and you could have a 'one and done' sort of weekend . Or try here one at a time and see how it goes.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Jbad, I am in a similar situation. I don't have a big collection but as I approach my late 60's I look at what do I really need. I sent my son a list and he wanted about 6 or so. My youngest is not a gun person. My daughter, her husband, and the grand kids will get a few but most they are not interested in. So, sell them off and wait till I die and let estate handle all of that? They would be sold so that the money is divided between them.

Top Bottom