Threatened in the 9th Ward at 4:15 am this morning.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Soooo... calling the police wasn't even an after-thought?

You DON'T carry with a round in the chamber? (In this case probably a good thing or we would be reading the WHOLE story on WDSU's website or watching it tonight). Probably something like "ROAD RAGE LEADS TO MAN BEING SHOT AND KILLED"... which you can either insert your name or his. Or it could be "Guy Shoots motorist at 90mph in road rage incident... motorist then plows into six people at a bus stop, killing three"... or something to that effect.

Your VERY FIRST decision was to immediately turn to your firearm?

It would seem you made several mistakes... (using my better judgement to say there's a lot more to this one-sided story than you just politely drove up on this guy and he's ready to kill you... but hey, things happen). I feel like there are some missing details about the story... there's definitely some missing rational decision making.

In the future... a police station or sub-station would be a wise choice to drive to... not the doughnut shop.

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Soooo... calling the police wasn't even an after-thought?

You DON'T carry with a round in the chamber? (In this case probably a good thing or we would be reading the WHOLE story on WDSU's website or watching it tonight). Probably something like "ROAD RAGE LEADS TO MAN BEING SHOT AND KILLED"... which you can either insert your name or his.

Your VERY FIRST decision was to immediately turn to your firearm?

It would seem you made several mistakes... (using my better judgement to say there's a lot more to this one-sided story than you just politely drove up on this guy and he's ready to kill you... but hey, things happen). I feel like there are some missing details about the story... there's definitely some missing rational decision making.

In the future... a police station or sub-station would be a wise choice to drive to... not the doughnut shop.

Filed a report with the 5th district this morning, Can't have a loaded gun at work, the gun has to be empty and mag out per company policy, I unloaded it yesterday morning before I got in the parking lot and forgot to reload it at 3:30 this morning when I left the house, wasn't planning to go through the 9th ward either.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    From what I am reading, a good many decisions were made that could have turned out very badly for the OP or the "aggressor". I am not going to armchair quarterback what took place, but what I will say is that hopefully we can all learn from the info the OP presented about what occurred. Hopefully it will help us all kind of "plan" in case we find ourselves in a some what similar situation in the future.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    what exactly was he defending himself against? someone yelling at him? he openly stated he was about the MURDER someone with no clear threat presented to him. He is in his car driving, any sane person would drive away. or ignore it. If the guy cut him off pined him in got out of his car and ran up to him after saying he had a gun, then that's a different story. clearly this is not what happened. The OP purposely put others in danger by running a red-light, driving at 90 plus MPH, while fumbling with a firearm that jammed.. then pointing said gun at a person who presented no threat of serious bodily harm or death to him at any point in time.

Maybe you and I should go have a beer somewhere after work and I can clarify, and better explain to you exactly how everything transpired and what I did wrong, and you can give me lessons on how to write.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    From what I am reading, a good many decisions were made that could have turned out very badly for the OP or the "aggressor". I am not going to armchair quarterback what took place, but what I will say is that hopefully we can all learn from the info the OP presented about what occurred. Hopefully it will help us all kind of "plan" in case we find ourselves in a some what similar situation in the future.
    I'm pretty this is what OP was going after with his post. A lessons learned if you will. Should be that much more prepared for and if a next encounter occurs.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Lasers and lights are only marginally useful in bright sun, but it can be dramatic at night. It seems like you didn't need a laser to scare him off this time since he saw the gun.

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    The original post asked for suggestions and I believe there were several given, such as call 911 and don't shoot (in that situation) driving 90mph probably not a good idea, know your environment, don't roll down your window at 4:30am on St Claude and Poland ave etc

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'll play devil's advocate here. :noes:

What makes any of you dissenters confidently sure, that the potential murder victim (:mamoru:), wasn't training his pistol on the OP the whole time out of sight? The statute reads; and I am paraphrasing; " had beyond a reasonable doubt that is his life was in imminent danger...."

Just like the McCardell / Smith fiasco, you shoot; you tell your story, you go to trial, you pray they buy it!

Now, I don't know if this entire story is made up for conversation or not, and I don't care. The bottom line for me, is the OP is telling you he feared for his life. What he didn't do is get the opportunity to shoot the guy and go to trial so we would know for sure if he did the right thing or not!

VG, I will say this; if you forgot to load that weapon (after work or not), I would advise you to re-connect with your weapon. You may becoming desensitized to how important that thing is if you are going to carry it. Quite frankly, after I leave my wife and kids for the day, there is no other object or thing that I care more about than my pistol! ;)

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I'll play devil's advocate here. :noes:

What makes any of you dissenters confidently sure, that the potential murder victim (:mamoru:), wasn't training his pistol on the OP the whole time out of sight? The statute reads; and I am paraphrasing; " had beyond a reasonable doubt that is his life was in imminent danger...."

Just like the McCardell / Smith fiasco, you shoot; you tell your story, you go to trial, you pray they buy it!

Now, I don't know if this entire story is made up for conversation or not, and I don't care. The bottom line for me, is the OP is telling you he feared for his life. What he didn't do is get the opportunity to shoot the guy and go to trial so we would know for sure if he did the right thing or not!

VG, I will say this; if you forgot to load that weapon (after work or not), I would advise you to re-connect with your weapon. You may becoming desensitized to how important that thing is if you are going to carry it. Quite frankly, after I leave my wife and kids for the day, there is no other object or thing that I care more about than my pistol! ;)

"beyond a reasonable doubt" means he was without a doubt knowingly the person was about to immediately commit an act of death or serious bodily harm. not actually seeing him point a gun is not beyond reasonable doubt.

Thats great and all, but he never seen the gun or stated such that he seen it. so if he shot the guy and no gun was found? then what is your defense? how exactly is a jury going to say you feared for your life while the guy sat in his car unarmed? shoot now, ask questions later is not a really good motto to live by.

he specifically said , he mentally made the decision to shoot this guy when he pulled his car back up to his at the stop light. only going off fact that the guy yelled he had a gun. This isn't justification to "fear for your life" its the same as if i shot everyone one i seen who rolled their window down at me and said im going to beat your ****ing ass. because someone says "hey i have a gun" doesn't mean they actually have one. specialty if they did not brandish the weapon.

now having your weapon at the ready incase **** goes down is one thing, shooting because you think the guy has a gun is another..

Like i said only case were you may be justified, is if the guy cornered your car, he got out and started to approach your car in an aggressive manner, after he shouted he has a gun. at that point you are in possible danger, and nowhere to retreat, so defense if your only option and deadly force may be used.

change the facts, change the outcome.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thats great and all, but he never seen the gun or stated such that he seen it. so if he shot the guy and no gun was found? then what is your defense? how exactly is a jury going to say you feared for your life while the guy sat in his car unarmed? shoot now, ask questions later is not a really good motto to live by.

No it is not a good motto to live by! And in your explanation, he most likely goes to prison!

Look, the days of threatening people in other cars is over. When I was a young man, and you pissed me off by doing something stupid to me, I would (and did), stop in the middle of the street, went up to your window, and punched the f out of you! That was in the 80's! I wouldn't even consider something as stupid today! Not even something remotely close to that! And guess what? I have taught my kids that those days are over too, for when they carry and are out and about!

Point being, there are way too many dumbasses out there that have no discipline, restraint, nor possess the temperament to settle arguments with some harsh words and a good old fashioned fist fight. To me, they are all potential idiots! I shake my head, and keep driving now! If they escalate; I stay one step ahead of them by de-escalating. You will have to go pretty far for me to consider shooting you in a road rage incident! And; you'll have to catch me! :p

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Thanks Emperor

"beyond a reasonable doubt" means he was without a doubt knowingly the person was about to immediately commit an act of death or serious bodily harm. not actually seeing him point a gun is not beyond reasonable doubt.

he specifically said , he mentally made the decision to shoot this guy when he pulled his car back up to his at the stop light. only going off fact that the guy yelled he had a gun. This isn't justification to "fear for your life" its the same as if i shot everyone one i seen who rolled their window down at me and said im going to beat your ****ing ass. because someone says "hey i have a gun" doesn't mean they actually have one. specialty if they did not brandish the weapon.

now having your weapon at the ready incase **** goes down is one thing, shooting because you think the guy has a gun is another..

Like i said only case were you may be justified, is if the guy cornered your car, he got out and started to approach your car in an aggressive manner, after he shouted he has a gun. at that point you are in possible danger, and nowhere to retreat, so defense if your only option and deadly force may be used.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Tagged in anticipation of final draft since I missed the original.

Good comments and feedback so far, except for 981GT4. Brother, chill and take it down a notch. It sounds like your assessment of the original post might not be far off the mark, but let the guy collect his thoughts and give us an accurate report. Then we can all armchair quarterback this thing right proper! :dogkeke:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Fair enough! But remember this; you don't have to actually have to have a gun to be charged with that heightened offense in a bank robbery! If you tell the bank teller you have a gun, she/he does not have to actually see "a gun", for the robber to be charge with "armed" robbery! Just the insinuation is all that is required.

Last edited:

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Fair enough! But remember this; you don't have to actually have to have a gun to be charged with that heightened offense in a bank robbery! If you tell the bank teller you have a gun, she/he does not have to actually see "a gun", for the robber to be charge with "armed" robbery! Just the insinuation is all that is required.
    true, but robbing a bank weather armed or not, and saying you are is a crime. here no crime was committed accept by the op.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I posted the edited version at the beginning if you want to read it.

I have gleaned enough info from the conversation as it stands edited or redacted. I am by no means condoning your actions, if you are being correctly quoted by the dissenters. I am merely offering a possible understanding (or, other side), of your experience and/or thought process. That's what devil's advocacy is!

To me so far, the most egregious thing you have done, is not having that weapon loaded. :D

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm glad you're ok, I'm from St. Bernard parish, and crossed those exact roads almost daily. I know how it can be at night, and I also know how ignorant the people in the area can be. Regardless if you made the right decisions or not, the fact of the matter is, you are still here to post about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom