To go food orders..tip or not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Had a discussion at work about picking up a to go food order and the topic of "Do you tip?" came up. I have to leave something. Some in the discussion say that they are not serving you so no tip. What say you people?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    If they bring it to my car, small tip. If I gotta go in, nope. That's no different than the stupid tip jars on a cashier counter. Ain't happening.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If they bring it to my car, small tip. If I gotta go in, nope. That's no different than the stupid tip jars on a cashier counter. Ain't happening.

Agreed. As for tip jars on a cashier counter, if I am paying in cash, I will throw the coin change in there...but I don't pay with cash often at all.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    pickup- almost never unless some exceptional service was done. ie: girl noticed that my order was missing a side, and explained thats why theres another box in the bag- its the veggies that the kitchen forgot. definitely warrants a tip, and probably a phone call to the GM noting her service.

9/10 times? no, no tip.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    YES TIP! I have worked in food service for years in the kitchen. People who don't tip are dicks.
    Waitresses don't get a wage, the LIVE off of your tips.

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm talking about calling in an order. They don't just answer the phone, they get your drink, they bag your order, get your plastic ware, condiments, and ring up the ticket. Whats a couple bucks?? To most, im guessing not much but to them if everyone had a togo order tipped a couple bucks it could be the difference between them making there electric bill or not.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm talking about calling in an order. They don't just answer the phone, they get your drink, they bag your order, get your plastic ware, condiments, and ring up the ticket. Whats a couple bucks?? To most, im guessing not much but to them if everyone had a togo order tipped a couple bucks it could be the difference between them making there electric bill or not.

Then I presume that you tip the cashier in the fast food drive thru?

because they do the same thing.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I don't eat fast food and those people get paid a wage just like the people cooking the food. Waitresses get paid 2.50 and every bit goes to taxes

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Like I said... the people in fast food that work the window get paid a wage! They get a check at the end of the week that they can deposit. Waitresses don't....... My point stands

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    That is their reason for not paying a fair wage. Nobody ever tipped me and I gave the best service I could. They should care enough about their job to do it right without getting a tip.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007

Was about 50/50 in the discussion at work. The pro tippers mostly having worked in the food industry in some capacity.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Working in food service is a rough gig. If the kitchen messed up on an order and the customer is pissed.... Guess who takes most of the heat... The waitress, even tho it was the kitchens fault. My GF and myself go out to eat a couple times a month and even if the ticket is $20 I still tip $10. People that don't work in food service will never understand.

30 tickets deep with a line of people waiting on a table, out the door and they have to deal with 100 peoples attitude every night and try to make them happy. Most people couldn't make it in a restaurant for a week and trust me, most don't. I cant tell you how many people thought they could cut it in a kitchen then left during the middle of their first shift.

- - - Updated - - -

The carhops work off of tips at sonic

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I used to bar tend and wait tables exclusively. Namely in La Fonda. We only got $2.13 an hour so even a dollar helps. If we had to bag a to go order, we had to leave the bar and paying patrons for 10-15 minutes which equals 5-25 dollars right there in missed tips, as well as if we had to do it while waiting tables, it took away from our service to our tables. The to - go cashiers collect tip share in some establishments like TX Roadhouse but it may only be $50-100 a week. I supported a wife and 2 children while going to college waiting tables, it wasn't easy but it was doable. I tip everyone that performs a service such as the car hop at Sonic, guy that washes my car at Ambassador Car Wash, as well as a to go waiter or waitress. I also tip the mechanic who changes my oil at Gardners 10 Minute Oil change. It's just my way of doing g things, even just a dollar. 20-25% of a good service dine in food tab, $1 per beer or mixed drink I order, 5-10% of a to go order, a dollar or two to the car hop, $5 to the car wash attendant or guy who changes my oil. Just makes a person's day that much brighter. I'm not saying to do it, I've just been on the other side of the bar/table.

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Doc ace gets it:hi5:

I am lucky enough now to be able to leave a nice tip. To most people that can afford to go out and eat whats a few bucks? Not much im guessing

Top Bottom