To go food orders..tip or not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Typically tip about 20% if I dine in at a rest., get pizza delivered, eat at Sonic, etc. If I pick up a to go order I'll usually do 10 - 15%. Like someone else said, the hostess had to take the order, check it, bag it, ring me up, etc. At a bar I'll usually do a $1 a round or 20% if its a pricey place or I'm only getting one round. Don't be a tightass. I started these habits after listening to years of horror stories from friend in the food industry. Two of the biggest complaints are places that let law enforcment eat free and then they don't tip and also people that bring in a gift card and don't tip on the full check amount.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    20% at a restaurant, $1 per drink at a bar, a couple dollars in tip jar for take out, and Sonic every time (my wife was a car hop for some time.)

But, I never eat out, never go to bars, and avoid fast food like the plague, so ultimately, I don't tip much.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I don't tip for carry out unless it's the change.

Handing me something isn't "service" which you tip for.

Comes to that, I typically tip 20%, but I'm REALLY starting to rethink that as standard procedure.
    Service has gone to hell the last couple years... Quite frankly, its rarely deserved.
    (and it's interesting as to how that % has gone up and up....)

And yea, I worked in a reasturant in high school, you do WAY better than minimum wage overall.
    WAY better.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    I don't tip for carry out unless it's the change.

Handing me something isn't "service" which you tip for.

Comes to that, I typically tip 20%, but I'm REALLY starting to rethink that as standard procedure.
    Service has gone to hell the last couple years... Quite frankly, its rarely deserved.
    (and it's interesting as to how that % has gone up and up....)

And yea, I worked in a reasturant in high school, you do WAY better than minimum wage overall.
    WAY better.

This is my take on the industry as well.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I tend to tip around 20% for sit down. Sometimes much more for excellent service or for bigger groups.

Take out I don't usually tip much but it depends on where I go. Some place I go eat often I'll tip better on take out, especially if I know the person bagging the food.

I have tipped a penny before for bad service. I've even written a 'poor service' note on the receipt.

I still would rather see the whole tip plan go away. Don't give me the excuse about good/poor service, that could go for any job. I work with the public and don't give poor service because I don't get tips. I earn a fair salary because I do a good job, I'd be rightly unemployed if I didn't. Same goes for restaurants. That's what managers are for. And don't tell me the food would be that much more expensive at a Ruth's Chris or Commander's, etc. if they had to pay employees more...

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    This isnt a to go food order, but lets not forget the Barber. I go to an old fashioned barber shop where you can get the latest sports news, town gossip, political opinions, fishing report, etc... And free coffee. Even without all the extra freebies, I would still tip :)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I always tip for to-go orders. Usually $2-4 depending on the bill. I've never felt the need to justify it, never laid awake at night pondering whether it was deserved or not, really never given it much thought at all. Just feel like giving away a couple bucks I guess.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    If the service was decent, I'll tip 20%. If the service was really good, I'll tip a lot more. If there is a problem with the food I'll still tip well as long as it wasn't the waiter's fault. If the service sucks, you get a dollar. If you are the least bit rude, you get a dollar and a note to "Be nicer next time". I'm tired of sucky service these days.

I don't tip on to go orders unless they bring it out to the car.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    If the service was decent, I'll tip 20%. If the service was really good, I'll tip a lot more. If there is a problem with the food I'll still tip well as long as it wasn't the waiter's fault. If the service sucks, you get a dollar. If you are the least bit rude, you get a dollar and a note to "Be nicer next time". I'm tired of sucky service these days.

I don't tip on to go orders unless they bring it out to the car.

Interesting thread... Before retirement I worked for a Dutch company for 20+ yrs, spent a lot of time in Europe where tipping was not the norm. I didn't notice that service was generally poorer without that "incentive".

Now I always leave a tip when eating out -- usually 20% max, but amount depends on service, and I also have left notes on the ticket (pro and con). I rarely go to Sonic or similar drive-in eatery, but do tip when food is delivered out to the vehicle. Hadn't thought about tipping for take-out, not sure how I feel about that since there's no way to evaluate the service until later -- e.g., how many times have you had an order wrong, maybe some item missing, etc.?

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    Waitress only get like $4.29 per hour is my understanding .Go figure if they don't get tips.~~

Actually, it was $2.11 when I was in food service in 1983.
    It's now jumped all the way up to $2.17 from what I understand.

Good service deserves a good tip.....

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA

So the info in this link is not accurate?

http://www.ehow.com/info_7885173_labor-restaurant-servers-minimum-wage.html

It specifically states:

"The federal minimum wage for restaurant servers and other employees who receive tips is $2.13 as of 2011. To qualify for the reduced minimum, servers must receive at least $30 in tips monthly. Servers must average $5.12 per hour in tips for every hour they work to bring them up to the federal minimum wage of $7.25. If the server does not average the federal minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference."

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'm sorry, my response was to the original question posted.

So the info in this link is not accurate?

http://www.ehow.com/info_7885173_labor-restaurant-servers-minimum-wage.html

It specifically states:

"The federal minimum wage for restaurant servers and other employees who receive tips is $2.13 as of 2011. To qualify for the reduced minimum, servers must receive at least $30 in tips monthly. Servers must average $5.12 per hour in tips for every hour they work to bring them up to the federal minimum wage of $7.25. If the server does not average the federal minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference."

Top Bottom