Took my CHP class today... Not all good

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    NALA Paralegal/administrative assistant to two partners at a law firm, including a few months interning at a DA's office

no, not a lawyer. entirely different career and degree platform now.

heh courtroom furniture repairman made me chuckle btw.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    The police train their officers how to carry a weapon and even then, they get theirs taken away from them on occasion.
    How much of a chance do you think a person with zero training against having their gun taken away from them?

Now, having said that, how much of the above type of training is given in the average CCW class?

My point is that yes, I think training should be required.
    But I don't think the right kind of training is being provided.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    only have problems with you. You fail to provide even one "make believe" situation where your argument could prove true. Whether you do this just to raise your "post count", or if you are simply incapable of answering I do not know, but You sir, are the troll. Here ya go: now, do your part and create a scenario where the instructor was called as a witness on the defendants behalf.

Here are some recent cases, and remember that just because you don't see it on FOX it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Browse your local court docket for a week or two, itll astonish you how many cases there are.

STATE OF LOUISIANA V STEPHENS:

1) Perry Stephens, 56, shot 24-year-old George Temple II four times in the chest cavity and once in the head after seeing him in a struggle over a traffic violation with Officer Brian Harrison, 32, on Feb. 17 outside an Auto Zone on Greenwell Springs Road.

The DA stated that the defendant acted within the scope of reasonable defense for the the police officer and resulted in having his concealed handgun license reinstated.

STATE v. CORNEJO GARCIA -

Wallace Gomez brandished a legally owned and licensed firearm and fired at robbers in his bar, and on his property. It was argued that this escalated the robbery to a shooting that would otherwise not have occured, and he was sued and as a result of pending litigation had his license suspended. This was overturned, and he is not currently a registered CHP owner- whether it is of his own will or not, I do not know.

Did you like me when you had your old screen name? And we new about Perry Stephen the day it happened and he wasn't conceal carrying when he shot the SOB he went to his car and got his Sig.

What about the others in the "dozens"? :deadhorse:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    “One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”

“It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.”

“An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law”

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    You don't think requiring training or exams is an infringement on the right to bear arms?

Normally I would say yes, but where handguns are concerned, there aren't many ccw out there and even fewer oc that know how to keep someone from taking their guns away from them.

That training I would say is a must otherwise, were I a criminal, I would have a huge gun collection.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Normally I would say yes, but where handguns are concerned, there aren't many ccw out there and even fewer oc that know how to keep someone from taking their guns away from them.

That training I would say is a must otherwise, were I a criminal, I would have a huge gun collection.

I agree with your point on the importance of weapon handling and retention. I just think that risk is worth the liberty... trading freedom for security, and all that.

There are things I think everyone /should/ do on the level of importance of "having car insurance" and "having life insurance" or "writing a will, if you're a parent or in a relationship" but ... requiring these by law is harsh, and none of those things are a natural born human right protected with absolute terms in our government's constitution.

I understand that people want/wish firearm carriers to have a certain level of safety or operation training. I just don't agree with legislating it.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    “One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”

“It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.”

“An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law”

Some of the best wisdom our founding fathers have to offer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom