Trim .223 brass??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    Ive got some brass I would like to reload but dont have a trimmer at this time,so my question is this. My reloading book says trim length 1.75, how critical is that im just loading 55gr bulk ammo nothing precision. Ive checked the length of the brass and it is between 1.7540 and 1.76 is this ok to load with out being trimmed ?? Any help would be appreciated

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Trim length is 1.750
    Max length is 1.760
    The critical aspect would be more for safety. You can get a Lee trimmer for around $10 that will do the job. I comes in 2 parts. 1 is a cutter & mandrel. The other is the shell holder & length rod. Then you need to debur/chamfer case mouth.
    It is the cheapest way to get started & should be available locally to you. Plus you can put in a drill.

How many rounds?

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    Trim length is 1.750
    Max length is 1.760
    The critical aspect would be more for safety. You can get a Lee trimmer for around $10 that will do the job. I comes in 2 parts. 1 is a cutter & mandrel. The other is the shell holder & length rod. Then you need to debur/chamfer case mouth.
    It is the cheapest way to get started & should be available locally to you. Plus you can put in a drill.

How many rounds?

Ok thanks, so as long as it is between those lengths I could just load it? Around 2k pieces

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Ok thanks, so as long as it is between those lengths I could just load it? Around 2k pieces

Yes. But if you get a more automated trimmer it is just as easy to trim as it is to measure each one. Plus why be close to max length?

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
    http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

What I like is a cutter that makes 3 cuts at once. Trim, debur & chamfer. To me why automate 1/3 of the process. The goal is handle each piece only once.

I used a Giraud and had 400 or so pieces too short. It was just as easy to run them through the trimmer as it would have been to gauge or measure them.

There are some other options depending on what you already have.
    This works pretty well:
    http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=700216

2k is doable with even the Lee. Not fun, but if you are hard headed enough you can trim them in batches of 100-300 & survive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom