ULL student indicted on first-degree murder in death of teen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    You don't have legal protection in Louisiana to defend property.

The kids were driving by and he was not in reasonable fear of life or grievous bodily harm.

While I won't shed a tear for the harm toward 3 repetitious criminals, and loss of one, if indeed they were/are, the kid shooting them was not right.

ETA: I hope the other two see this as a lesson, and get their head right.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I sympathize for the shooter, as well as the kids who were shot... but you can't just go killing someone for taking your stuff.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    The kids were driving by and he was not in reasonable fear of life or grievous bodily harm.

I'm curious where you heard "the kids were <just> driving by.." part? It's my understanding that the shooter engaged them actively breaking into his vehicle. The victim's statements said "they were just minding their own business driving down the street and some wacko starts shooting at them" <not a quote obviously but that's the gist of it>.

Which sounds more plausible? A kid shooting a random vehicle at 2am for the first time ever and getting 3 hits with 3 shots? Or a guy shooting burglars at 2am? That's why I believe the shooter. But we're only being spoon fed selected information. Most all of the omitted info I firmly believe would support the shooter's case.

LSU Fan, you're wrong. If you really believe what you typed, maybe someone will show up at your house and pick out some of your stuff that he'd like to have. What are you gonna do? help him load is truck? Shoot him in the leg and then lose the lawsuit he'll file against you? "All I wanted to do was steal his swag....and LSUFAN went all psycho and shot me just because I tried to rob him!" Better yet, call the cops! They'll be along in 10-15mins, your stuff will be gone, they'll file a report and that'll be the end of it. Burglar dude will give you a month or two to replace what he stole, and then come back and steal it again and again and again.

The only winners I see are the criminals.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    JLouv, no one is denying that you can protect your life, and that anyone breaking into your home creates a reasonable expectation of threat to your life.

What is at hand here is a guy going outside to shoot someone for suspicion of property theft.

Also, I'm not talking about morally right/wrong - I'm just talking about the law. You can't shoot for theft or vandalism alone.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You don't have legal protection in Louisiana to defend property.

While I won't shed a tear for the harm toward 3 repetitious criminals, and loss of one, if indeed they were/are, the kid shooting them was not right.

ETA: I hope the other two see this as a lesson, and get their head right.

That's what is frustrating about this, to me. At least two of these 15 year-olds (including the deceased) went to a very good High School, and APPEARED (and I know it's hard to go by that, these days) to be ordinary kids. The tired old excuse of "they never had a chance in life" sure as hell wouldn't apply.

At least that's what it seems to be, from the outside looking in. :dunno:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    JLouv, no one is denying that you can protect your life, and that anyone breaking into your home creates a reasonable expectation of threat to your life.

What is at hand here is a guy going outside to shoot someone for suspicion of property theft.

Also, I'm not talking about morally right/wrong - I'm just talking about the law. You can't shoot for theft or vandalism alone.

I understand what you're saying.

Let me ask you this now. I keep a firearm <or more> in my car. Sometimes I don't bring it inside my home at night. If I were to catch someone sitting in my vehicle, rummaging around..or even just busting out the windows...am I safe to assume that the guy could be armed with my own weapon and be rightfully in fear for my safety during the confrontation on my own property?

In the case we're discussing, there's no facts provided either way to support or debunk a similar situation. I think it's possible. Maybe even likely. Also, 3v1 is a real safety issue in any situation IMO, but then it comes down to exactly when the shots were fired. If they were coming at him, he's good to go. If they were running away, he's screwed.

Shwane

Motivator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Youngsville, LA
    This happened a few blocks from my house.

Word on the street is, the deceased kid lived a few houses down from the shooter. They had snuck out and were hanging at one of the other kids house. The deceased was going to walk home but one of the boys decided to take his brothers truck and drop him off. When they arrived they stopped a few houses down from the shooters house so they wouldn't wake the boys parents. Recently the shooters house had been robbed (5 times is the talk on the street) Woke up to see a stopped vehicle near his home and went outside and engaged the boys in the truck causing them speed away. They were still in the truck when shots began.

Nothing official, but its whats being said, so take it as much

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Word on the street is, the deceased kid lived a few houses down from the shooter. They had snuck out and were hanging at one of the other kids house. The deceased was going to walk home but one of the boys decided to take his brothers truck and drop him off. When they arrived they stopped a few houses down from the shooters house so they wouldn't wake the boys parents. Recently the shooters house had been robbed (5 times is the talk on the street) Woke up to see a stopped vehicle near his home and went outside and engaged the boys in the truck causing them speed away. They were still in the truck when shots began.

Then he's ****ed.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

My initial CHP class and the three renewals stressed that this is not the sort of thing you do.

Worse than the Rodney Speirs (sp?) case.

You don't start shooting at fleeing people, even if they are criminals.

Does it sound like second degree murder?
    :eh:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Then he's ****ed.

agreed. On the condition the the "facts" are correct.

I also just recently stumbled across a quote from the shooter's affidavit. He said something to the effect of "..I was just trying to scare them..."

That sounds an awful lot like Biden's recent quote of "two shotgun blasts" at random unidentified targets. I wonder if he can be held liable for that advice?

I'm slowly losing my will to support the shooter....

Top Bottom