Using a lead sled

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chapelhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Kosciusko, MS
    I have heard a lot of talk about lead sleds being the best thing since sliced bread. But some other people say that straping the gun in wont allow the gun to move via recoil like it would when the gun isn't in a lead sled affecting your accuracy. Any thoughts?

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have heard a lot of talk about lead sleds being the best thing since sliced bread. But some other people say that straping the gun in wont allow the gun to move via recoil like it would when the gun isn't in a lead sled affecting your accuracy. Any thoughts?

I've read too many reports of the POI changing with the lead sled to consider using it.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've seen physically disabled people using them and that makes sense but under normal circumstances I can't figure out why people use those things. Where's the sense of accomplishment when you're not even holding the gun yourself?

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've seen physically disabled people using them and that makes sense but under normal circumstances I can't figure out why people use those things. Where's the sense of accomplishment when you're not even holding the gun yourself?

Sighting in, accuracy testing, etc. A solid rest is a neccessity, I just don't like the recoil arrest stuff.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I use them to help zero a rifle with heavy recoil to save my shoulder some abuse. I dont use the strap on the front of it though and dont use it for anything else

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I use them to help zero a rifle with heavy recoil to save my shoulder some abuse. I dont use the strap on the front of it though and dont use it for anything else

Have you done comparisons between the Lead Sled and regular sandbags/benchrests to see if there is a change in POI?

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    I have the Lead Sled DFT and thought about adding a strap to control muzzle jump, not cinching it down as this would affect accuracy. I like the Lead Sled it takes minimal adjustment between shots not like sand bags or some of the other shooting rests I have used in the past . The DFT is a little beefier and more stable than the regular Lead Sled , but cost about $100.00 more.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I use a Lead Sled on ALL of my rifles. My hunting rifles will take the eyes out of squirrels at 50 yards (.22lr), and deer at 100 yards (BAR 30.06, Rem 270). On top of that my 45/70 buffalo will drive tacks!

The hardest thing about using the lead sled is moving the lead bags. ;)

Get or use one, you will not be dissappointed.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    Uh....Incorrect

Maybe I'm wrong on rifles. I watched an episode of one of the gun shows not too long ago and they were discussing that about pistols and showed the high speed camera shot of it and then discussed the recoil after exiting. They actually said that the blast leaving the muzzle is what caused the recoil.... Dunno

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    Hmm. Been doing some research. Pretty interesting. Yes the recoil does start before the bullet exits but it's so minute. Because of the speed of the bullet, the majority of the recoil is felt after it leave the barrel. I've used sand bags and I've used lead sleds to sight in my deer rifles. Either way I have gone I've always had DRT deer with my furthest being 305 yards. Guess its personal preference in which way to go.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Splat,
    I saw a video where the guy stated a .308 recoils 3/8 of an inch before the bullet leaves the barrel. I don't know how it was determined. It was the only time I have ever seen it quantified like that. I would think there would be many variables that would affect the number. Weight of rifle, bullet and charge weight being high on the list.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'm not saying that's not true because I'm no expert but I can't imagine how anyone can hit a target 100-200 yards away if you have 3/8" recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not saying that's not true because I'm no expert but I can't imagine how anyone can hit a target 100-200 yards away if you have 3/8" recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel.

Well believe it, because that's just the way it is. The figure of 3/8" is not the same in every instance. The weight of everything envolved has an effect: firearm, bullet, even the powder charge. But the gun does start to recoil at the moment the bullet starts to move. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."
    That doesn't mean "after a pause" till the bullet exits the barrel. The reason people can accurately place shots is because of repeatedly handling recoil forces in a consistent manner. Handguns are effected even more so than rifles. Have you seen the charts that show how improperly gripping a handgun can affect bullet placement?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

Sometime I don't hit the target!

The video was by Darrel Holland. It was his statement, not mine, so I am not going to defend his numbers. The main thing I found interesting was the way he stated it. I wish he would have explained more about it, including how it was concluded. My goal was to share the info, not say he was right. Now if myth busters would just film it in high speed . . .

I have the mindset that is really doesn't matter. .375" .0375" or .00375" makes no difference to me. It reacts the same every time. (in theory) I need to be the same every time. How I view the recoil doesn't change what I need to do. Of course some variables are in the system. Air in the lungs can vary and matter.

The basics of marksmanship still need to be adhered to. Breaking trigger with sights where they need to be never hurts.

There is a whole segment of shooters that strive to get their rifles to recoil straight to the rear when shooting prone with a bipod. Not exactly light rifles either. So the rearward movement must be significant enough.

On an opposite note I have heard how lower velocity rifles require a lot of follow through.

I'm not a lead sled fan. To me you should sight in the same way you would shoot. I will go prone before I use a bench. About half the benches I've used had serious flaws.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom