Vietnamese Food Rocks!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonen123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Central, La
    Yes I agree the vietnamese restaurant next to Baskin Robins is excellent. I enjoy all the Pho soups. The pork and rice dishes are excellent too.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you like spicier more flavorful soups, try the bun bo hue. It's a spicy soup with thicker noodles, sliced pork and beef. Put some extra red pepper oil in it, and a little shrimp paste and some lime and it's delicious. Also if you are ever in new Orleans east, try Ba mien restaurant. My favorite dish there is the banh cuon Dac biet. Which is a rice flour roll with ground pork, grilled pork, nem nuong which is like a grilled pork sausage patty I guess and cha gio which is also a pork ham/sausage like meat. Basically finely ground pork that's seasoned and steamed into a roll. Then sliced thin.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    Wow that sound great going to have to try that:}

Sandwiches what kind of sandwiches are you referring to?
    Banh mi is quite literally translated as "bread". The best, to me, is the Dac Biet, which just means loaded or with everything. It's the pork pâté and the home made mayo and stuff. The safest which my friends like is the Thit Nuong, which is a grill pork sandwich. For some reason, everyone loved grill pork.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Absolutely love Pho. Started eating it a little over a year ago. Give me that little hot as heck chili paste and some fish sauce and I'm a happy man. I have yet to go to a bad Vietnamese place. There are a few on Florida that are worth trying. Even the restaurants that don't do well, run a good shop. One day I was wanting some Pho and Little Saigon was closed. I drove West on the South Frontage Road on Florida till I hit this place on the left. I'd tell you the name, but I couldn't pronounce it with the spelling. That wasn't a good move as I think it hurt sales. We went often, but the last time the lady that always serves us told us they were closing that week. Bummer, it was probably the nicest one in town. You couldn't read the name though.

Would not work for me as I do not do soup, or fish sauce and only eat white rice with gravy or beans..

Never had it? I'm not a soup guy either, but Pho is pretty awesome. Rice noodles ain't the same as rice either. Spice to taste.... and that stuff they give you goes a long way.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Absolutely love Pho. Started eating it a little over a year ago. Give me that little hot as heck chili paste and some fish sauce and I'm a happy man. I have yet to go to a bad Vietnamese place. There are a few on Florida that are worth trying. Even the restaurants that don't do well, run a good shop. One day I was wanting some Pho and Little Saigon was closed. I drove West on the South Frontage Road on Florida till I hit this place on the left. I'd tell you the name, but I couldn't pronounce it with the spelling. That wasn't a good move as I think it hurt sales. We went often, but the last time the lady that always serves us told us they were closing that week. Bummer, it was probably the nicest one in town. You couldn't read the name though.

Never had it? I'm not a soup guy either, but Pho is pretty awesome. Rice noodles ain't the same as rice either. Spice to taste.... and that stuff they give you goes a long way.

One of the few soups I eat is at home and it is closer to beef stew. I am a meat and potatoes person, not a soup and salad person.
    I have eaten many foods in many countries including South Viet Nam but I will pass on the soup.
    I did eat some homemade 7 bean soup in Sao Paulo which was not bad.

Unclee1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    What else do you like besides Pho and Spring Rolls? :D
    I honestly wish i could remember the names. I like to try different things. The bun bo hue, mentioned in a earlier post is very good...I had that Thursday. I sometimes just look at what others are having and ask for that :)

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    We ate at Little Saigon a couple of times but found ourselves returning to Rama.

We liked the Saigon Bistro, or whatever it was, on Sherwood next to Sherwood South Animal Clinic. I don't understand why they didn't do better as they had excellent food and service.
    :ohreally:

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Pho usually gets folks in the door, but once you've graduated past that, there's a TON of other fantastic foods you all should try!!

My #1 dish in all of Vietnamese Foodom would be Banh Xeo (banh is pronounced the way it looks with an upwards inflection and Xeo would be pronounced like say-o .. the o gets a downward inflection by itself). It's related to the French Crepe with more of an egg base and usually a bit crunchier. Every restaurant varies in what it uses their recipe, but generally has grilled pork, shrimp, chives, bean sprouts and onions. Accompanied with fish sauce for flavoring and a plethora of greens that properly accentuates all the flavors of the Banh Xeo. I usually judge a Vietnamese establishment by it's Banh Xeo production, with my mom's version being the yard stick.

Another cool tidbit, the Banh Xeo loosely translated means Sizzle Cake/Pie. Can you guess why? In the process of drawing in crowd off the streets for a tastey meal, the chefs would exaggerate the already actual sizzle of the batter hitting a cast iron pan that's already heated and greased. The sizzle of which sounded like, i present to you in textual form, xxeeeoooooooooooo!!

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    Is that the same place that has been there for many years now? I had the best spring/rice paper wraps there an age ago that were memorable even now. Just can't remember the name of the place... Somewhere on WB hwy I think.
    That's the joint, it's been there for decades. I remember going there with my dad when I was a little kid. The chef is actually a white man. It's right off Stumph.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Pho Tau Bay is owned by an interracial couple (not that race really matters), the husband is an old Army G.I., he found his wife to be while doing his tour in Vietnam. Really cute story.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Went to check out Little Saigon for lunch today. Started with the spring rolls which were unlike the many I've had in the past, they were HUGE.
    Most places give you 2 maybe 3, if you're lucky, little rolls the size of a 20 gauge shell but here for 6.75 you get 4 rolls that measured about 6 inches by 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Each roll contained 4 large whole shrimp on top and 4 slices of pork on the bottom stuffed with veggies. They serve it with a sweet dipping sauce. Add some of the chili paste and you get an awesome sweet / spicy thing going on.
    Next I went with the Mi Hoanh Thanh which is a big bowl of egg noodle and wonton soup with shrimp, squid, roasted pork and vegetables.
    Very good especially with more of the chili paste.
    At this point I was beyond stuffed but had to try a Banh Mi so I got one to go. Only 3 DOLLLARS! Where in the world do you find a po-boy for only 3 BUCKS?
    I was sitting next to a table full of grandpas from the old country and even though I don't speak Vietnamese there are a few topics that transcend all language barriers. They were clearly bragging on their grandkids, one guy had 14 another had 17, and there was no question that they were bashing Obama. I know i heard at last one "Phuque Obama". I smiled and said "Obama" and gave the universal thumbs down sign. The oldest one there said, "you no like Obama too, most young people like Obama". I'm 46 but to him I'm just a kid. He went on to say, "He going to ruin America, make it like old Vietnam, dat why we had to leave".
    So to sum it up, great food, great atmosphere and even better conversation. Yeah, I'll be back.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I used to eat at the old Kim Anh's Noodle House in New Orleans east {yes i know the whole deal that went down there with MS. Frank}
    The wife and I would eta there 1-2 times a week and still do, at the new location when they moved to Harahan still great food.

Top Bottom