We make our own drink. Beer, Wine, Mead, Shine, Cider, w/e

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I helped thread jack my own WTB thread so I figured we could move over here and be a little more respectable. Ninja, I have messed with a still before (not officially). Back in high school I got ahold of a nice labratory grade distillation collumn and a couple two liter beakers. Combine that with a hotplate some mollasses wert and champagne yeast. What a pretty mess. But now days its mostly beer for me. Did one batch of cider - that I screwed up somewhere... and I've never tried wine. Im thinking about getting some honey from the guy on the board selling it and trying to make mead next. Anyone ever tried making it?

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    My son in law sells honey in 5 gallon buckets if you should need that much .I don't know how much he sells it for but if interested I will find out .P.M me.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Definatley, I've never made mead before so Im not sure how much Ill need. Once I figure it out Ill let you know. Anyone have any experience with mead?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    If anyone makes some I want to try it. A friend and I were just discussing the other day Mead was pretty much the only form of alcohol we haven't tried.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I have been making wine for a couple years now. My uncle gave me all his supplies and equipment when he got out of it and I have been adding to it since. I have 4 3gallon batches of wine to bottle as we speak. Maybe I will get to it this weekend. It would be nice if small scale hobby distillation was decriminalized.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    When I was in Albuquerque, the local liquor store had some mead that was made in New Mexico. It was pretty good stuff. I haven't had any in awhile though. Talk of mead always reminds me of Beowulf.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Khyber - Whats a normal recipe look like? Do you have to have a sugar adjunct? Did you spice it? Doesn't it have to age a while before it reaches maturity?
    Drumz - Is wine making as simple as it sounds? I have a couple spare carboys and was thinking about a batch. With all my extra space I could bulk age it for quite a while with no problems.

Anyone have any awesome beer recipes? I've got an OctoberfALE in the ferment box right now. Traditional Octoberfest recipe with a California Ale yeast. SHould be kegged and on draft by our Octoberfest party.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Ive done a few wine kits and they come out very good. I usually add some fresh fruit to them to give it more body. Google jack keller, he has more wine recipes then you care to see. As a rule wine made from fresh fruits will generally take longer to age.

Most say to age meade at least a year.

But yes wine is much easier than beer and just as rewarding.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Spent Brass...are you doing all grain brewing? I made my first OktoberFest last year and I must say...it was quiet tasty. The recipe below is my house pale ale:

10# 2 row
    .5# 60L Crystal Malt
    .25# Munich

1oz Magnum @ 60
    1oz Cascade @ 30
    1oz Perle @ 15

SafAle US-05 yeast

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    +1 on Jack Keller, I have been using his recipes to start from for a while now. He has a lot of great info from beginner to expert knowledge. It is easy to make a decent tasting wine, especially if working from a kit, however, it is difficult to make a great wine. There is a lot between a good wine and a great wine. I make all my wine from fresh fruit that I pick my self or friends/family provide, it is more time consuming than just opening a can from a kit, but the reward is much greater.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Khyber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    2 pounds of honey/gallon, zest of a orange + the juice of same, cinnamon stick - heat to 150 or so degrees degrees for 20 mins. let cool naturally. put in carboy, or use a "Mr Beer". add sweet mead yeast. Watch .. yearn, wait.. 3 months. Bottle, wait another couple months. Enjoy.
    Use a beer calculator to determine how much more or less alcohol you want as an end result. Tells you how much honey to add. 2-3 pounds /gallon of water is typical. Also, might want to use non-chlorinated water.

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    2 pounds of honey/gallon, zest of a orange + the juice of same, cinnamon stick - heat to 150 or so degrees degrees for 20 mins. let cool naturally. put in carboy, or use a "Mr Beer". add sweet mead yeast. Watch .. yearn, wait.. 3 months. Bottle, wait another couple months. Enjoy.
    Use a beer calculator to determine how much more or less alcohol you want as an end result. Tells you how much honey to add. 2-3 pounds /gallon of water is typical. Also, might want to use non-chlorinated water.

3 months? Holy Crap! :eek3:

Sounds like some wonderful flavors though. Thanks.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    3 months? Holy Crap! :eek3:

3 months is nothing. Some wine is required to age 1 year minimum. I have some that is almost two years old that I am about ready to try. You might not think it matters, but 6 months will sometimes make a not so good wine taste pretty good, and another 6 will make it taste great.

Top Bottom