Weapon in your vehicle at a VA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    I have a concealed carry permit and the extra class/training allowed to carry in church. I am teaching the NRA basic pistol course in accordance with the LA State Police policies/guidelines to use to apply for CC license. That said- we have to teach 3 hours (OMG) on Louisiana Title 14 concerning the laws governing CC. ie: what this says in lawyerspeak vs what it translates to us.
    In LA your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can have a pistol in your vehicle, loaded, sitting in plain sight OR under cover (seat, glove box, trunk etc). You can even have it in your car when you go pick up the kids at school (gun-free zones) as long as it remains in the car. Enough background.
    I work at the VA hospital and it has signs everywhere that states no firearms or weapons of any kind allowed on the premises. Does that include the extension of my home or does federal law trump the state law? If I can keep it in the vehicle and park at a court house or keep it in the vehicle and park at a police station can I keep it in the vehicle at work?
    I don't want to mis-inform any of the folks who work at the VA, forestry service, etc who take the class and get them in trouble down the road. Thanks Lee

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Gunna be a good one :D

I've talked to a Security guy at the Pineville VA and he said that no one is going to strip search vehicles to look for firearms. But if you have a gun case on the back seat of your car, well some guards might raise a stink.

No that's nowhere near the LAW of course and he also mentioned something about Federal or not could be the difference of whether the parking lot is accessed by a GATE or just an open parking lot where anyone can access it and park. Thus not making it a Federal Parking lot by way of leaving it Public Access.

So yea, this will be a good one. I'm looking up some stuff. Seems Virginia was all over this a couple years ago.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I wouldn't relay info I got from the Internet while teaching a class on this subject. I would start with the state police. Someone on here can give you the correct number to call to obtain the information you seek.

MOTOR51

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Apparently we were typing at the same time. Wasn't directed at you. Some people in here think they can carry whenever wherever cause that's their rights. :)

MOTOR51

Mikesibley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    I've always been told that Federal law trumps state law, so I wouldn't go on Federal property with a firearm just to be safe.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have a concealed carry permit and the extra class/training allowed to carry in church. I am teaching the NRA basic pistol course in accordance with the LA State Police policies/guidelines to use to apply for CC license. That said- we have to teach 3 hours (OMG) on Louisiana Title 14 concerning the laws governing CC. ie: what this says in lawyerspeak vs what it translates to us.
    In LA your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can have a pistol in your vehicle, loaded, sitting in plain sight OR under cover (seat, glove box, trunk etc). You can even have it in your car when you go pick up the kids at school (gun-free zones) as long as it remains in the car. Enough background.
    I work at the VA hospital and it has signs everywhere that states no firearms or weapons of any kind allowed on the premises. Does that include the extension of my home or does federal law trump the state law? If I can keep it in the vehicle and park at a court house or keep it in the vehicle and park at a police station can I keep it in the vehicle at work?
    I don't want to mis-inform any of the folks who work at the VA, forestry service, etc who take the class and get them in trouble down the road. Thanks Lee

Never heard that one

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That extension of your home crap gets old. You can't even have it at a La State owned hospital according to La Sate Law.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    i go to the VA in NO so it is always in the car i dont take it in with me but it is in the car, never been a problem so far. but i am not going to NO with out one.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Never heard that one

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chInstructReq.pdf

This seems to be a new letter from the new Sgt.

Does this letter now place the same time requirements on a renewal that were not previously there? I thought you could do a shorter (time) course for renewal as long as you still covered all the topics? When I took my renewal, i thought I remembered my instructor saying the requirements were the same, the state just didn't specify specific times for each block like they due for new applicants.

Any ideas?

Also, the way the letter (and I think the law) is written, if you are teaching NRA Basic Pistol or Personal Home Protection, you do not need the 3 hours of legal stuff, but only the additional hour of child access prevention?

So basically a person who is being taught by an NRA instructor could take an NRA Basic Pistol COurse or Personal Protection course and get their permit without having ever gone over the laws in LA?

I might be reading that wrong though. Gonna check the statute as well.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    A federal judge has reportedly ruled that a U.S. Postal Service regulation banning firearms in its parking lots violates the Second Amendment.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/1...n-from-parking-lot-judge-rules/#ixzz2a4bse0wg
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/1...-by-banning-gun-from-parking-lot-judge-rules/

There are a ****-ton of "if-thens" that are part of that ruling and it pertains only to post offices. The Federal Government hasn't yet even determined how it is going to respond. In short, it is a hot mess but it is a VERY GOOD first step!

BR55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    A federal judge has reportedly ruled that a U.S. Postal Service regulation banning firearms in its parking lots violates the Second Amendment.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/1...n-from-parking-lot-judge-rules/#ixzz2a4bse0wg
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/1...-by-banning-gun-from-parking-lot-judge-rules/
    That ruling only applies to that specific Post Office in Colorado and to the specific person who brought the suit. It does not mean that we can all have guns in our cars in the post office parking lots we go to. What it does do is open the door to further legal action to get these restrictions relaxed nationally.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    That ruling only applies to that specific Post Office in Colorado and to the specific person who brought the suit. It does not mean that we can all have guns in our cars in the post office parking lots we go to. What it does do is open the door to further legal action to get these restrictions relaxed nationally.

This. Word is the Fed might decide to relax the restrictions on rural post office parking lots only, but that's a whole other can of worms. Hopefully one day all Fed parking lots will be legal. I think forbidding firearms in your vehicle in a VA parking lot is irresponsible. There are scores of vets that have to drive from miles around to receive care at VAs.

BR55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    This. Word is the Fed might decide to relax the restrictions on rural post office parking lots only, but that's a whole other can of worms. Hopefully one day all Fed parking lots will be legal. I think forbidding firearms in your vehicle in a VA parking lot is irresponsible. There are scores of vets that have to drive from miles around to receive care at VAs.

For a better understanding of the Post Office case, go to http://guntalk.libsyn.com/guntalk-2013-07-14-part-a , where you will find the podcast to Gun Talk Radio from a couple of weeks ago. Tom Gresham had Jim Manley, Mountain States Legal Foundation, on for the first half of the hour talking about this case. Mr Manley explains the case and what it means.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    IIRC from previous discussions of this thread, VA property is federal property and federal laws rule.

In Lexington where I go, there are signs specifically warning against guns and, I beleive, "dangerous weapons." I don't recall warning signs in the parking lot of the BROPC, but there are ones on the doors.

I make sure I have no guns and carry a traditional knife. I have a Raj II in the car, but it's a tool.
    :eh:

Top Bottom