We'll Have to File Bankruptcy! Wah! Wah! Wah! Yeah; Right!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    There is tons of waste. Facilities services that someone mentioned above is not really an exaggeration. There is an army of employees that seems very unnecessary.

I worked in the accounting department at LSU, and at the end of every year they'd find ways to blow through the remainder of their allocated budget, because they knew they would lose it if they didn't.

Vilifying athletics is not the answer. All of that money is raised from football, and every single other sport feeds from the football trough and would not exist without football.

What is to blame is the typical government-style waste that proliferates the system, and it starts with the tone at the top from the last system president Joe Lombardi who did tremendous damage.

However, with all of that said, and in spite of all of those things, LSU still provides tremendously more value, both dollar for dollar and in total, across all of its colleges, law center, health science centers, etc. than does the private competition. Step into Tulane's medical school and it's virtually medieval compared to what LSU offers at two campuses. LSU definitely has its troubles but it is miles ahead of the rest of the state and I would surmise much of the nation.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is tons of waste. Facilities services that someone mentioned above is not really an exaggeration. There is an army of employees that seems very unnecessary.

I worked in the accounting department at LSU, and at the end of every year they'd find ways to blow through the remainder of their allocated budget, because they knew they would lose it if they didn't.

Vilifying athletics is not the answer. All of that money is raised from football, and every single other sport feeds from the football trough and would not exist without football.

What is to blame is the typical government-style waste that proliferates the system, and it starts with the tone at the top from the last system president Joe Lombardi who did tremendous damage.

However, with all of that said, and in spite of all of those things, LSU still provides tremendously more value, both dollar for dollar and in total, across all of its colleges, law center, health science centers, etc. than does the private competition. Step into Tulane's medical school and it's virtually medieval compared to what LSU offers at two campuses. LSU definitely has its troubles but it is miles ahead of the rest of the state and I would surmise much of the nation.

Damn! I never would have guessed you liked guns Mr. Perry! :dogkeke:

Who gets it?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    That is a big part of the problem. If they want all that glitzy BS, that's fine! Stop begging for tax money all the time by saying that you are broke! After all, if they can generate their own working capital, they damn sure should!

If your science department doesn't have glass beakers; don't buy a f'n $85 million dollar pool! If your mathematics department has broken abacus' don't buy a f'n $85 million dollar pool! If your engineering department is low on drafting pencils, don't buy a f'n $85 million dollar pool and so on. It's SCHOOL! Not Atlantis!

As for athletics? If there are any athletics that cannot support themselves over there, then they better not be giving full scholarships to play them. This mentality that because it is the flagship university that they are impervious to budget accountability is absurd.

For what it's worth, if you take a chem lab, or a design studio, or engineering lab, etc., you have to buy and provide all of your own materials and supplies :) I think LSU provides the beakers last time I was there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the students had to one day bring their own along with books and other materials.

The lazy river is really shocking. I literally had no idea that was a thing until I read this thread.

Save football, none of the athletics support themselves (i.e., none of them raise more money than they cost; all are cost-losers). That includes baseball and basketball, which make money but not enough to cover costs. From what I understand, LSU makes enough money from football to cover all of the other sports, with money left over. The school does not have to directly support athletics. That is not the case at most other schools, which by and large have to take tuition and public money to pay for their sports teams.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    For what it's worth, if you take a chem lab, or a design studio, or engineering lab, etc., you have to buy and provide all of your own materials and supplies :) I think LSU provides the beakers last time I was there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the students had to one day bring their own along with books and other materials.

The lazy river is really shocking. I literally had no idea that was a thing until I read this thread.

Save football, none of the athletics support themselves (i.e., none of them raise more money than they cost; all are cost-losers). That includes baseball and basketball, which make money but not enough to cover costs. From what I understand, LSU makes enough money from football to cover all of the other sports, with money left over. The school does not have to directly support athletics. That is not the case at most other schools, which by and large have to take tuition and public money to pay for their sports teams.

But do you get the Perry reference?

Also, if it's any consolation I watched both of the girls softball games yesterday and me and my son made chauvinistic jokes all day about it. It was a hoot. I'm glad they won, but they look ridiculous out there. It's as if the NCAA said under their breaths, "Look, we need to make some sports up that these girls can play too! Let's use a giant ball and not put the bases too far apart so they don't get hurt!"

One of them got hit with a pitch and I was waiting for her to start crying; while the trainer was comforting her. :D

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Went over my head ;)

Girls sports are a good thing, but many of them do feel forced/artificial (which is the nature of title ix and ncaa regulations).

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Went over my head ;)

"So; alum! I hear you would like to donate (get better athletes to come), to LSU?" wink wink

iu

Rick Perry - President and CEO of Tiger Athletic Foundation

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Watching Leonard Fournette torch defenses made me think of this thread.

How much do any of you want to bet, they will point to LF's success (and most likely Heisman), as validation and proof the LSU Water Park will pay off?

On a side note, how pleasant of a surprise is Fournette? Aside from him possibly being the greatest athlete LSU has ever had, he has a nice disposition! Polite! Humble! Respectful! What a great ambassador for LSU football as opposed to all the passed thugs and losers!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Watching Leonard Fournette torch defenses made me think of this thread.

How much do any of you want to bet, they will point to LF's success (and most likely Heisman), as validation and proof the LSU Water Park will pay off?

On a side note, how pleasant of a surprise is Fournette? Aside from him possibly being the greatest athlete LSU has ever had, he has a nice disposition! Polite! Humble! Respectful! What a great ambassador for LSU football as opposed to all the passed thugs and losers!

It all has to do with the people that raised you. His parents obviously did something right, and I believe his experience through Katrina may also have something to do with it.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    For what it's worth, the lazy river still isn't open. Fall of 2016 is last thing I read.

I thought my baby brother was going to get to enjoy it, but he might get it for a year or so. At least he gets the new union, new rec, and the new parking garage.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    For what it's worth, the lazy river still isn't open. Fall of 2016 is last thing I read.

I thought my baby brother was going to get to enjoy it, but he might get it for a year or so. At least he gets the new union, new rec, and the new parking garage.

They could have had some unexpected projected cost overruns. They may need to sell a few more cookies. ;)

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    When I hear them cry about money, I usually go to the bathroom and defecate a sample of my sympathy for it.

Emperor, that may be the greatest way to say "zero f*cks given" I may have ever heard. With your permission, I will be borrowing that one.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Emperor, that may be the greatest way to say "zero f*cks given" I may have ever heard. With your permission, I will be borrowing that one.

OK! But, how about this one?

I hear what they are saying, but given a choice between caring about it or having my finger poke through the toilet paper the next time I wipe my ass, I choose the latter! :p

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Ill second the Trade school need. My Senior year in high school, 2004, I was making $20 as a carpenter (helper really) an hour cash. Then after coming home, 2006, I started my own company and set my prices based on $37.50 an hour. Not only did I never get out bid, I never had to haggle the price. Depending on the job I would add $10 an hour for each helper. Many times my numbers were actually low (I received threatening calls from competition). I was making great money. 4 years into it I was truly making money. Demand sets market value.

Top Bottom