Went to Jim's today out of desperation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Not to change the subject but we evidently have his sister store, it's called Elliot's. Everytime I've walked in there he's had a WTF do you want look and attitude. To add insult to injury I received massive amounts of BS within seconds of being there and this was not on one occasion. I've finally learned my lesson and vowed never to spend another dime in that store. If some of you have similar problems with the other shop then let your wallet do the talking.

Elliot's has been closed for 4 years.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive been there several times, picked up a used 500 real cheap off the rack, but anytime i had to deal with the counter jockey's its been annoying.

first, after waiting 20 mins i asked for a box of hornady 32gr .204 ruger, and winchester ranger 135gr 10mm. i had already looked while waiting, and confirmed that they had both right on the shelves. the guy looked me right in the eye and said they were out of both, then walked away. he seemed really insulted that i asked for ammo instead of asking his expert advise on a firearm.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have never had any problems or BS at Jims. His prices are retail but he has a large selection in stock. Stock costs money so you pay for the convenience of walking in with a want and walking out with that want in hand and getting immediate gratification at the range.. Did you bring up what happened to Jim and let him know how you felt as a customer? I'm sure he would like to know.

Unclee1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I am with Ironman, would love to start a business, indoor range, shooting supplies, reloading stuff etc, throw in a few high end cigars and a lounge to smoke em in. Thought about it long and hard, I am sure the place would trive, only one things worries me. I would probably shoot and smoke most of the profits!

I was thinking the same thing...I would be my best customer :)

jjss

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Mar 13, 2010
    New Orleans
    was it elliot's that go busted for the funny buisness with the false NICS checks info? I was in virginia at the time, ive only head second hand stories.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    I say we all meet at Jim's this Saturday and we gone in there to reek havoc. Things we can do:

1. Bring kids and let them run around the store.
    2. Ask to see every gun behind the counter.
    3. Ask the stupidest questions about the guns behind the counter.
    4. Answer your cell phone and hold a conversation while salesperson is waiting on you.
    5. Fill up a cart full of items and take them to the register.
    6. Act like you forgot your wallet in the truck after they ring you up and go get it, but never come back in.

bendiebold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    They broke the grip safety on my Kimber while installing a magwell - then couldnt fix it - wait time to get it back from kimber: 6 weeks - then of course they waited almost another week to call me....

also lost 2 of my guns in the past 2 months... i bought a .357 that got put on 5 day hold, (which always takes the full 5 days with them, i've never been called back early... buying from accurate, the most ive ever had to wait is 24 hrs) when I got there to pick it up they couldnt find it and had to replace it with another one with a different serial number than the original paperwork... and of course i had to wait an hour while they searched around in the back for it. their excuse: we might have accidentally given it to someone else....

then i ordered a springfield, and when it came in, they didnt bother to call me.... at one point they called me in, but when I got there, the gun 'hasnt arrived yet' ... i called in regularly ... 'it hasnt arrived yet'.. before they would even go look, the girl on the phone would say 'oh they will call you when it comes in' (yeh right).. kept calling... 'hasnt arrived yet' i walked in this afternoon to cancel the order after waiting almost 2 months... and it had been sitting in the back for the past few weeks... counter guy: "theyve been having issues with calling people lately"

i love the guys at Accurate
    and any time i need a glock, or a solid FFL to handle a shipment, that is where I go...

but i'll be damned if I dont end up at Jim's regularly mostly because of the inventory and all the awesome accessories

lastly - if you want a laugh - look at the handicapped parking sign next time you go
    they even managed to misspell disabled...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...8484671275_12413204_66412896_1361876598_n.jpg

glad i found this forum
    off topic - looking for a place to shoot rifles in doors - ak47 type 762 and some ar15 556.... baker range doesnt mind it, but looking for other options...

ben

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I say we all meet at Jim's this Saturday and we gone in there to reek havoc. Things we can do:

1. Bring kids and let them run around the store.
    2. Ask to see every gun behind the counter.
    3. Ask the stupidest questions about the guns behind the counter.
    4. Answer your cell phone and hold a conversation while salesperson is waiting on you.
    5. Fill up a cart full of items and take them to the register.
    6. Act like you forgot your wallet in the truck after they ring you up and go get it, but never come back in.

Damn Good Idea:}

I have a couple of grand kids that would love to play in that place for hours!

You are a genious!!

What time you folks want to meet at Jim's

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I liked Accurate as well when I went in. Good place. The only thing I didn't like was the $50 transfer fees. It won't stop me from shopping there, but I just won't do transfers there, everything else was great..

CAM_TECH_ARMS

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   1
    Mar 9, 2011
    LIVINGSTON PARISH
    They broke the grip safety on my Kimber while installing a magwell - then couldnt fix it - wait time to get it back from kimber: 6 weeks - then of course they waited almost another week to call me....

also lost 2 of my guns in the past 2 months... i bought a .357 that got put on 5 day hold, (which always takes the full 5 days with them, i've never been called back early... buying from accurate, the most ive ever had to wait is 24 hrs) when I got there to pick it up they couldnt find it and had to replace it with another one with a different serial number than the original paperwork... and of course i had to wait an hour while they searched around in the back for it. their excuse: we might have accidentally given it to someone else....

then i ordered a springfield, and when it came in, they didnt bother to call me.... at one point they called me in, but when I got there, the gun 'hasnt arrived yet' ... i called in regularly ... 'it hasnt arrived yet'.. before they would even go look, the girl on the phone would say 'oh they will call you when it comes in' (yeh right).. kept calling... 'hasnt arrived yet' i walked in this afternoon to cancel the order after waiting almost 2 months... and it had been sitting in the back for the past few weeks... counter guy: "theyve been having issues with calling people lately"

i love the guys at Accurate
    and any time i need a glock, or a solid FFL to handle a shipment, that is where I go...

but i'll be damned if I dont end up at Jim's regularly mostly because of the inventory and all the awesome accessories

lastly - if you want a laugh - look at the handicapped parking sign next time you go
    they even managed to misspell disabled...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...8484671275_12413204_66412896_1361876598_n.jpg

glad i found this forum
    off topic - looking for a place to shoot rifles in doors - ak47 type 762 and some ar15 556.... baker range doesnt mind it, but looking for other options...

ben

HELL I WENT THERE TO GET MY PLUNGER TUBE FIXED ON MY 1911 AN THEY TOOK IT IN THE BACK AND CAME BACK OUT WITH IT PUT ON COSTED ME 40 BUCKS I WAS COOL WITH THAT WHAT I WAS NOT COOL WITH WAS THE SEVERAL TIMES THE MISSED LINING UP THE TOOL IN THE INSIDE OF THE RECIVER TO STAKE THE TUBE IN I CALLED THEM TO TELL THEM HOW MOCH OF A MESSED UP JOB THEY DID AND ALMOST RUINED MY RECIVER AND THEY TOLD ME THEY NEVER DO BAD JOBS AND DID THEY DO THE WORK ON IT :madfawk: JIMS

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    HELL I WENT THERE TO GET MY PLUNGER TUBE FIXED ON MY 1911 AN THEY TOOK IT IN THE BACK AND CAME BACK OUT WITH IT PUT ON COSTED ME 40 BUCKS I WAS COOL WITH THAT WHAT I WAS NOT COOL WITH WAS THE SEVERAL TIMES THE MISSED LINING UP THE TOOL IN THE INSIDE OF THE RECIVER TO STAKE THE TUBE IN I CALLED THEM TO TELL THEM HOW MOCH OF A MESSED UP JOB THEY DID AND ALMOST RUINED MY RECIVER AND THEY TOLD ME THEY NEVER DO BAD JOBS AND DID THEY DO THE WORK ON IT :madfawk: JIMS

I hear you:}

And DEFINETLY agree with the RED portion of your post lol

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The very best Gunshop I've ever experienced was Firing Line Guns in Westland, MI. The place is owned by two ex-Westland LEOs and one active officer. ALL but one employee is very knowledgeable and all but one is very helpful. You're encouraged to just hang out and if you ask you can go make your own coffee and whatever pastry has been brought. The thing, I believe, makes the place awesome is that there is a group of shooters - primarily IDPA - who walk behind the counter and pick up the slack. I give free one on one firearm instruction whenever I'm there. I'm not divulging anything when I say that Detroit is a Fed Air Marshal hub so they show up as well as some FBI "trigger pullers" and we all give pistol shooting lessons to persons who have no idea what something like that would cost. I miss Friday afternoons when all seem to show up and there would be 12 real shooters in the store plus the owners/employers.

Jim could do better but he needs a gun range. I think he owns the complex so the Cellphone store and Bait shop could be shooting ranges and he could then lower his prices on firearms. If he had that he could invite likeminded customers to work with customers and the perceived attitudes would change overnight.

I do have one gripe: safe gun handling. Actions should be open when handing them across the counter.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    was it elliot's that go busted for the funny buisness with the false NICS checks info? I was in virginia at the time, ive only head second hand stories.
    Elliot's got busted in 2005, and the head guy lost his FFL. They resumed business quickly by having another employee get an FFL. Then in 2007, they were busted BIGTIME - straw purchases, stealing LEO identification to buy guns at LEO discounts, etc. BATF, local LEO, and even Secret Service were involved, according to this article.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mike933
    Top Bottom