What AK would you recommend and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bcg21385

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2022
    Baton rouge louisiana
    I do not currently own an AK, but I am thinking of jumping into the 7.62 x 39mm waters.
    If you are an AK guy what AK Mfg. & Model would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.
    Paintball
    If you're looking for something decent but at a decent price, I'd go for a wasr or zastava. I've got a cheap CAI vska trooper and never had an issue

Tat2edSuperman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve been an AK guy for years and for my money, the Zastava M70 or the WBP Jack. Someone made the comment about Zastava and aftermarket accessories so I think that needs some clarity for you; there are just as many aftermarket accessories for Zastava as any other AK platform. You just have to look for that magic word “YUGO”. If the accessory is for a Zastava M70, the “Yugo” designation means it WILL fit. Now, that being said, I’m sure you know there aren’t nearly as many accessories for AK platform as AR, and you will more than likely have to make some slight modification at times to make any aftermarket parts fit directly on the rifle, ie, don’t ever expect aftermarket hand guards to fit right out of the box.
    I’ve have multiple AK’s (admittedly never owned a WBP but I’ve read good things always) and I can say imho, the value you get from the Z-M70 for the money can’t be beat. Ive had mine for 3 or so years, sent about 2k down range with it and love it. A highlight for me is the craftsmanship of the bolt and bolt carrier, chrome lined barrel, and it has the absolute most accurate iron sights I’ve ever experienced on an AK. The 2 negatives I have experienced (which are arguable) :
    1. M70’s tend to be a hair over gassed, but it’s not unmanageable by any means. And
    2. During the shortage it was a little more difficult to get aftermarket accessories just because of availability. I hope this helps and I definitely hope to welcome you to the AK club one day!

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    Psa if you're on a budget arsenal if you aint.
    I havent had any problems with my psak. About 6-800 rounds through it

Attachments

• 20180804_190521.jpg
      20180804_190521.jpg
      247 KB · Views: 63

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    If you going buying it to just scratch an itch and dip you toes into the game i suggest a used wasr off the secondary market for you can probably get one for around $600 might even come with some mags if your lucky or a GF3. If you want the pinnacle it's hands down a Galil Ace with a Vepr being a close second. Goodluck OP.

Tat2edSuperman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    I don’t think anyone would argue that the most durable, reliable, etc AK (excluding custom made Rifle Dynamics, etc) will be imported AK’s. For this reason, given the heavy anti-2A push right now, imports can be shut down literally any day with the stroke of a pen (or crayon as in the case of the Potato-in-Chief) so if I were you, I wouldn’t wait too terribly long if you’re leaning on Z M70 or WBP. Even the ones that have already been imported will moon when the supply gets shut down. Just my 2 cents….

Clayduster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2023
    Houma
    I must admit I grew a bit suspicious of my VSKA after reading all the comments here and on other websites so I purchased a set of GO-NO GO gauges. All is well. Marching on....

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    My fave is arsenal slr 95 but I'm also a sucker for mpap/opap/zpap

All Zastavas are no longer imported so prices have risen. Check out Arms of America and their line of polish rifles and pistols. PSA makes some good stuff. If you want to save a little money check out their builders kits. Atlantic firearms has a nice selection.

Top Bottom