what do you shoot?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I see people talk so bad about some guns, yet they don't mention what's better. I would love to know what people think are good sd guns.

It can't be glock, because I had a terrible malfunction in a glock, my rounds got jammed half way up the mag and i had to pull apart the mag to fix it, and since my springfield, and hundreds of other springfields have never had this issue, and everyone thinks springfields are terrible sd guns, then glocks must be worse. So what would be better? Because apparently I own the worst sd guns, glock and springfield.

cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    oh yeah, I also shot a glock that was chipping both ends of factory rounds, another reasonto put it on the bottom of my list

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Both are good SD guns. Have whatever you can effectively use to eliminate a thread to your home. As long as its in the middle (not a .22 and not a 50AE), it will work. Do your research, don't let anyone tell you your Springfield or Glock won't do the job. If you are looking for recommendations of what others use, then that's another story. For SD I use a 12 gauge 870 and a HK45C.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You had quantity (1) malfunction with quantity (1) Glock Magazine and based on that you have decided they are bad guns? Woof... you don't shoot much do you?

cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    well i haven't seen a malfunction in a xd yet, and a lot of you guys talk about how terrible they are, and since I now trust my xd more than my glock, I guess it must mean a glock is terrible, either way, you are so quick to bash xd's, I just want someone to man up and tell me what's better, not one of you who has talked crap about an xd has mentioned a better option to me, so all you do is insult me and put me down, without actually offering me any help what so ever.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    so it seams the basis of this thread is your mad someone didnt like your xd. Everyone has preferences in guns, and every gun manufacturer sooner or later will have a gun produced with an issue. Its just a fact of mass production. Its why whatever your gun of choice may be you need to shoot it, and trust it. Not just run one mag through it and call it "good". You need to familiarize yourself with its functions and abilities and be able to fix any issues you have with it, whether it be a training issue or something the factory needs to take a look at.

cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Just as I thought, no one wants to offer any help, they just want to talk crap, well I have no idea what I should be looking at for an sd gun, if I buy a M&P i might get bashed for that, maybe an HK will be ok? I don't know. You guys act like you know everything, please share your knowledge, and stop belittling everyone.

cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    so it seams the basis of this thread is your mad someone didnt like your xd. Everyone has preferences in guns, and every gun manufacturer sooner or later will have a gun produced with an issue. Its just a fact of mass production. Its why whatever your gun of choice may be you need to shoot it, and trust it. Not just run one mag through it and call it "good". You need to familiarize yourself with its functions and abilities and be able to fix any issues you have with it, whether it be a training issue or something the factory needs to take a look at.

No, I'm upset that people bash me for my choice in gun, yet offer no help what so ever in finding a better choice.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    There are plenty of threads on this forum that discuss the issues people have with the XD. If you like it, great! You are not alone. Everyone thinks their gun is the best. Works that way with just about everything. M&P would be a good start... and you might want to wait more than 15 mins before you worry about why people haven't told you why they have problems with XDs. btw, I carry a M&P9c

cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    There are plenty of threads on this forum that discuss the issues people have with the XD. If you like it, great! You are not alone. Everyone thinks their gun is the best. Works that way with just about everything. M&P would be a good start... and you might want to wait more than 15 mins before you worry about why people haven't told you why they have problems with XDs. btw, I carry a M&P9c

thanks for the suggestion. JPB55 is one of the ones that spent a lot of time bashing the XD's, I've been trying to get answers from the XD haters as to which guns THEY think are better, so that I can actually research them and look into them, but every time I try to ask, they just bash the XD again, and offer no help. I know I didn't wait long, but since he already bashed here, and provided no help, I was calling him out to step up and help rather than talk crap like the jerk he comes off as yet again. I'ved asked for suggestion in other threads, yet no one offered anyhting up, so I started this to maybe get some answers. It wasn't just the last few minutes that I got upset about.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    M&P

Really though. Glock.

Look at the sheer numbers.

Nearly any mass produced gun is better than XD, Glock, M&P, HK, FN (cringe), Walther (cringe), etc

At least they aren't using zinc, or have a FDD ( firearm disabling device, also known as a grip safety. The bore axis isn't measured in meters, and don't have match barrels, well maybe HK.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You had quantity (1) malfunction with quantity (1) Glock Magazine and based on that you have decided they are bad guns? Woof... you don't shoot much do you?

Without mention of what ammo was being used, either...

When you obviously have no intention of A) listening to those who know better or (B) actually considering another option, why would anyone bother to give an example of something more up to the task?

FWIW, my gripe wasn't specifically about the XD as a platform-- but the tiniest SS .45 you could find. (The XD part is just an exacerbation, for me.)

ETA-- for reference, my game gun and EDC are both M&Ps (9 Pro and 45 FS, respectively). They are NOT what I'd recommend to the average person, for a host of reasons. Glock, Glock and more Glock-- or HK, if you're an aristocrat. If you limited me to just one firearm for the rest of my life, it'd be a G17 without second thought.

Last edited:

cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    so the only mid range priced gun is the M&P, and unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of them. I won't buy more glocks, don't like the feel, and since it's the only gun i've had a ftf with (and I owned a Lorcin .380) call me crazy for not liking them. I'll have to search for these XD failure threads, because I have never seen one, it's just odd hearing so many people here talk bad about them, when I have never heard anything bad about them until I cam here. But in my personal experience, which is what a lot of you guys talk about, the only ftf I have ever had is a glock

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    well every platform has its fans. When comparing to XDs the direct comparisons are pretty much Glock and M&P. These are the popular polymer framed pistols. You could group some HK and Sig in here, but their price is a good bit more. I think most people would agree with me and choose any of the ones I just listed over an XD. A few of the gripes with the XD are the grip safety(unlike 1911 grip safety), high bore axis, questionable materials used for parts, etc.

Will it work? Yes. Is there better? probably. It all comes down to your preference and what matters to you. I have shot XDs and know people that trust their lives to them everyday. There really is no wrong way. You do the research and ask yourself what is important to you.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    so the only mid range priced gun is the M&P, and unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of them. I won't buy more glocks, don't like the feel, and since it's the only gun i've had a ftf with (and I owned a Lorcin .380) call me crazy for not liking them. I'll have to search for these XD failure threads, because I have never seen one, it's just odd hearing so many people here talk bad about them, when I have never heard anything bad about them until I cam here. But in my personal experience, which is what a lot of you guys talk about, the only ftf I have ever had is a glock

And in my personal experience, with ~35k rounds in under a year through a G17, they don't FTF or FTE, ever.

So which experience is universally true? Trick question-- it's neither.

They're BOTH anecdotal reports-- although I'm willing to bet one is with a bit more of a sample data pool than the other...

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    What don't you like about M&P?

Also remember, the Internet is a VERY small portion of the shooting public. Very small.

And most people don't shoot enough to know what a failure is.

If you are one of those people, you probably won't be shooting XD

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Strange.

I've never had any such problems in the nearly 20 years I've owned 2 of my Glocks.

Be that as it may, you are- in a roundabout way- asking a question that is virtually impossible for folks here to answer: "What is the best SD handgun for ME?"

The short answer is go to a local range and try out a few rentals. See which one fits you the best. Nobody here can pick your gun for you. :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom