What harm could come from...automotive?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Turning the torsion bars on the front end of a 3/4 ton 4x4?
    Also is there such a thing as turning them a little or is it all or nothing as I'll only need to raise the front about an inch.
    I know the ride will be stiffer but what else could happen.
    I'm getting new tires and an alignment at the same time.
    It could be the simplest solution if my tires rub which I expect them to.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Turning the torsion bars on the front end of a 3/4 ton 4x4?
    Also is there such a thing as turning them a little or is it all or nothing as I'll only need to raise the front about an inch.
    I know the ride will be stiffer but what else could happen.
    I'm getting new tires and an alignment at the same time.
    It could be the simplest solution if my tires rub which I expect them to.
    There shouldn't be any problems, that's why there's an adjustment bolt. But I do suggest turning them to the desired setting before you get your vehicle aligned.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I had an '86 S10 4X4 that I maxed out the torsion bars on and didn't really feel a difference in ride, but the front end came up 2". I never got it aligned and my tires started to wear on the outsides after a while, but I got rid of it before I remedied the situation. Certainly helped with the extra weight of the winch and bumber I had on it.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    After 150K, I tighted up the ones on my blazer 4x4. It was a little stiffer, but otherwise I just gained back my lost ride height. I drove it for another 55k before trading it in.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I had a 3/4 ton gm with the bars turned up, no real ill effects. The ride was harsher, cv shafts will not last as long, otherwise no issues. I beat the snot out if it for a few years and never a problem.
    You could waste your money on the clocked keys which in effect are identical to bottoming out the factory adjustment bolt. People don't seem to realize that for some reason.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    When you raise the vehicle via the torsion bars, 1in is ok. Align and keep driving. We will generally add a little more caster depending on the tire.
    The further you go up, the less up travel you have. The upper control arms have drop stops. Stopping the upper control arm from dropping too far because the front end is coming up.

Your changing the steering geometry, and steering angles that do effect Yaw, turning radius , returning to center and performance type measurements.
    Real world effect is not catastrophic.
    The best addition you can make to compliment the lift and tire increase is to install a higher quality extended Shock for a lifted truck.
    Are they 100% necessary, "NO". will your truck be happy, and reward you with a better ride, " Hell Yes "

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MrPantz
    Top Bottom