What is considered to be a good group at 100 yards?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    LOL! This is hilarious. Okay, in all seriousness, yeah, a .308 will hit a target at 600 yards and beyond. A .308 is a NATO cartridge; it must perform well to meet such specifications. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I cannot hit anything at 600 yards with any rifle. I just said that because I knew it would irk some folks on here, and I enjoyed that! My dad didn't like that comment, either!

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    LOL! This is hilarious. Okay, in all seriousness, yeah, a .308 will hit a target at 600 yards and beyond. A .308 is a NATO cartridge; it must perform well to meet such specifications. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I cannot hit anything at 600 yards with any rifle. I just said that because I knew it would irk some folks on here, and I enjoyed that! My dad didn't like that comment, either!

Ya probably like to poke bee hives with a stick, don't ya.

Art

Last edited:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    If you are 1" MOA or under at 100 yards, you will be 6" MOA or under at 600 yards. This is the size of the 10 ring on a F-Class target at 600 yards. If you are consistently shooting groups under 1 MOA you are shooting/grouping well.

What the heck is an inch-minute-of-angle ?

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Consider any group 1 MOA or under to be a good group. .410 groups are very good IMHO, but I measure center to center and shoot .223 AR mainly. You and I both have the same issues with eye sight and wanting to shoot long distances.

Bam Bam

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I measure the outside, I think thats the right way

Except not. If you go outside to outside, how do benchresters shoot groups in the teens (.199" or less) with a .224 caliber round? Center to center is also the only way to compare the relative accuracy of two rounds of differing bullet diameters.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

Yes you can. It isn't that hard and there are plenty of local guys who can teach you. Some of the guys were shooting 600 yards today with 1903 Springfields (not 03A3s). The rest of us were shooting M1s. It was the annual "Pearl Harbor Match".

If you want ot learn, just speak up.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Except not. If you go outside to outside, how do benchresters shoot groups in the teens (.199" or less) with a .224 caliber round? Center to center is also the only way to compare the relative accuracy of two rounds of differing bullet diameters.
    I learned something, that means my rifle shoots better than what I thought:D

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I know this is somewhat of a silly question to all of you veteran competition shooters but, what is considered to be a good group at 100 yards?

I just posted another post in the rifle section of the forum asking for some advice on getting glasses for my 43 year old eyes and got several great responses. But, it led me to wonder if I'm expecting too much of my eyesight. I'm just trying to find a milestone for myself to acheive and would like to know where I stand and help me to know what questions I need to ask to improve my shooting.

I am just now getting into bench shooting with optics. I'm shooting a Remington 700 Police in .308win with a 4x16 tactical scope. I am currently shooting between .410 & .475 groups at 100 yards (measuring outside of bullet holes at widest point & subtracting .308 from it). I'm sure I still have a long way to go but, given the above info what kind of groups should I try aiming for and what type of competition shooting would I want to get into?

I will sincerely appreciate any comments or criticism.

Thanks!

How many shot groups? 3, 5, 10 or 20? How consistent are you? Are you cherry picking your better 3 shot groups and dismissing the "fliers". What is the intended use? When you mention "bench shooting and competition" in the same paragraph, one might assume some sort of benchrest competition. .4s won't even get you to the gate. If you are thinking about F Class, .4s are less than the diameter of the X ring (in MOA); however, they shoot 20 shot strings so 3 shot or even 5 shot groups may give some hint that the rifle wants to shoot but don't provide a true test. For a hunting rifle, 3 shot sub 1/2 MOA groups that are consistently in the same place would give me a lot of confidence in my ability to hit game as long as long as there was sufficient practice from field positions to assure that you were capable of using it. For a hunting rifle consistency of the first cold bore shot is most important.

For across the course highpower shooting, 10 shot .5 to .6 MOA groups is good for a service rifle. Match rifles shoot a bit better on average. From position (sling in prone position, no rest) holding 1 - 1.5 MOA of elevation for 20 shots is very good.

100 yard 20 shot from AR match rifle:
    k17lsbpfu8ogm3k4k3uz.jpg

200 yard 20 shot from AR service rifle:
    74a7s9p7klyy0cvtrrcx.jpg

By the way, .4s out of a stock Remington is pretty good. I would be happy with it if it is consistent.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I know this is somewhat of a silly question to all of you veteran competition shooters but, what is considered to be a good group at 100 yards?

That greatly depends on what you're shooting. .4's for a hunting rifle, as others said, is very good. A good group shooting slugs from a shotgun or with a WWII surplus rifle might be many times that. .4's from a benchrest gun is not so good.

Also, keep in mind that your ability to shoot .4's from a bench does not equal the same in the field. Shooting from a tree stand, or worse, on your feet leaning against a tree with poor footing is far different.
    Take your rifle to your stand and set up the longest shot you would feel comfortable making. Put a target there, get in your usual hunting position and take a few shots (off season preferably). I doubt you shoot .4's. Actually, I doubt you shoot 1". Now think about the added excitement of having a live moving deer in your sights and what that would do to your group size. I bet it more than doubles your group size. Its a cold bore shot, not a group. Its winter and colder temps and windy. Low light? Are you shooting from an elevated platform? How does that affect your point of aim?

Last edited:

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    dzelenka,

Thank you so much for the excellent replys. I kind of thought my groups weren't even close enough for F-class but, wasn't sure where I stood. I'm pretty sure it would take me a lot more (In cost) than a stock Remington 700 to stand in competition with true bench rest shooters. What type of competition shooting exists that I could get into with what I have? I have a limited budget but, would love to try some competition.

With what you said, brings up another point about my riflle being stock. Rescently, someone told me my 700 had a factory flaw that is an easy fix. Supposedly, I can remove the barrel assembly from the rifle and do some light sanding on a piece of metal that normally contacts the tang of the rifle that shouldn't, and creates some unwanted torque. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

With everyone's comments, I feel pretty good about my groups but am always looking for ways to improve.

Thanks!

Top Bottom