What is considered to be a good group at 100 yards?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Your rifle is plenty accurate enough to get into F Class shooting. Put a bi-pod on your rifle, zero it at 100 yards, go up 16.5 MOA (sixty-six 1/4 minute clicks) on your scope (175 gr Sierra), put together or buy 66 rounds of ammo and come to Palo Alto on the 1st Saturday of any month (January 2011 will be the 2nd Saturday because of New Year's Day). You will not win but you will be on target and have a lot of fun.

You could also buy or load some .223 match ammo and rent an AR-15 from the LSA for $5 (must be a member) and come shoot a highpower match. It will teach you a lot more about shooting than F Class.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    If you are 1 MOA or under at 100 yards, you will be 6 MOA or under at 600 yards. This is the size of the 10 ring on a F-Class target at 600 yards. If you are consistently shooting groups under 1 MOA you are shooting/grouping well.

you would still be 1moa but instead of being around 1" it would be around 6". no?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc[/ame]

If he can do this with a WWII russian rifle, you can hit 600 yards with a modern bolt gun and a good scope.

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    dzelenka,

You said I could rent an AR-15 for $5.00. Is it an AR that needs to meet a certain criteria? I do have an AR but it is a Stag Model 1 (M4 A3). I will probably regret selling my Bushmaster DCM. I bought it almost 10 years ago and never had the opportunity to compete with it so I sold it about 3 years ago and got the Stag.

Also, in F-class with my .308, is 175 gr. Sierra the required bullet or can you use 168 grain? And, does it need to be the HPBT match or can you use Hornady A-Max? I've been having some excelent results with the Hornady's but have no idea what either one will perform like at 600 yards.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    175 is just what I used to look at the ballistic table. You can use any decent match bullet from 155 to 190 gr (that is just the normal range of match bullets for a .308). Choose what shoots best in your rifle. Take accuracy over speed or bullet profile/weight.

The AR-15s that LSA has are National Match service rifle configured. We are in the process of rehabbing the sights on all of the rifles. Do you have a teenager? If so, we have a junior highpower program.

Where are you located? If you are in the southeast, there are lots of opportunities to compete in both highpower and F Class.

Dan

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    dzelenka,

I'm on the Westbank of New Orleans. Palo Alto is only about an hour and a half away for me. I'm glad you told me about it. That must be the same range in Donaldsonville that is always advertised in the back of my American Rifleman magazine for area shoots.

My nephew told me about this website and find it pretty cool that so many of the members are in this area. With the shoot coming up this January, I may just come up and visit for the day to watch and learn so I don't show up unprepared.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Bring your gun and ammo. You will want to shoot. :)

Are you and your nephew LSA members? If not, join. It is only $10 per year. $5 if your nephew is under 20.

The highpower schedule is as follows:
    F Class/Prone Mid Range (600 yards 66 shots) Palo Alto 1st Saturday
    Across the Course highpower (88 rounds 200, 300 and 600 yards) Palo Alto 3rd Saturday
    Reduced course highpower (58 rounds 200 yards) Gonzales 4th Sunday

powrsurg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    US
    I am new to precision shooting and recently purchased a Savage 10 FLCP-SR in .308 and put a 6-24×50 optics on it. This is my first grouping after I set the zero. Is this decent for a beginner?
    95932c30b1393684970abeb04c738ab3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I am new to precision shooting and recently purchased a Savage 10 FLCP-SR in .308 and put a 6-24×50 optics on it. This is my first grouping after I set the zero. Is this decent for a beginner?
    95932c30b1393684970abeb04c738ab3.jpg

Yes, I'd say it is. You have about 20 rounds from what I rough count, and about 14 are within a 1.5" inch circle. Your weapon is quite capable. What you need to do is shoot some 5 round groups and see just how tight you can achieve them. I'm guessing this is factory ammo, since you said your new to precision shooting.
    One thing which will help you big time is a solid rest. Either a fixed bipod or sand bags, or a fixed bench rest apparatis. I recently purchased a quality sand bag rest front and rear to use on the concrete table at Nick's Range. It made a huge difference in my results.
    I think the best would be a fixed shooting rest/rig I've seen some guys at Nicks using. The rifle is rigidly mounted and they have threaded knobs to adjust windage and elevation...mostly I see guys with precision .22 LR rifles employing these. But I did see a guy shooting .308 last visit using a fixed rig.
    An adjustable bipod attached to your stock and a rear sandbag rest would do wonders too.

My two sandbags were an inexpensive option but work really well for me. The idea is to remove any movement in your rifle before and during firing. That's the only way you can determine your weapon's true accuracy, and remove the slight movements, even your breathing movements from long range accuracy.

I'm gonna go search and post links to what I purchased, my sandbag setup. It won't break your bank and you can use it with multiple weapons.

This is the front rest I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LGO52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rear bag:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JD56I4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bipod:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/155546/harris-s-brm-bipod-leg-notch-sling-swivel-stud-mount-6-to-9-black

like the fixed rests I've seen other guys use at the range:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/385616/caldwell-lead-sled-dft-rifle-shooting-rest-with-free-wheeler-engineering-professional-reticle-leveling-system

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And your ammo has a large part in this equation. Some brands and projectiles are better than others. To get the best results, you need to shoot high quality factory match ammo, or reload your own. Most guys I know or have met who are really serious shooters load their own ammo. Plus you will save money long term if you shoot a lot. And serious long range shooters shoot A LOT.

Oh and high quality factory match ammo = the most expensive, generally.

Some factory loadings are better than others.
    I shot some low cost Sellier and Bellot .300BO 147 gr FMJ in my Ruger American (100 yard groups) last visit to range and it was quite accurate for me :) I was impressed.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I also suggest you google "breaking in a precision rifle barrel" for info. Also shooting with a cold barrel versus hot, or many back to back rounds.

Ok, I'm done here now :)

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    This was at 100 yards

I agree with John on the rest. The best thing you can do is get as solid as possible with no movement in the gun whatsoever.

I own a Savage FCP-SR with a SWFA-SS fixed 10x on top, and a Harris bipod on the front. I usually put my fist under the stock (shooting prone).
    I can shoot sub MOA groups all day long if I do my part. The rifle is very capable, and Savage is known for out of the box accuracy. Very good choice!

The only thing I don't agree with (for THIS rifle) is ammo selection. Mine spits any round I feed it with no problem. Once I adjust for POI on the different weight rounds the rifle starts stacking them. 147gr FMJ surplus ammo shoots just as well as 168gr BTHP match rounds. This is just my findings for my rifle.

Get solid and let the gun do the work for you. I love me some accu-trigger!

Last edited:

powrsurg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    US
    Wow guys thanks for the comments. I was worried I'd have a hard time breaking into this group. I'm somewhat cheap ammo. I picked up a box of 100 Field and Stream. I'm thinking it's rebranded and can't tell on the box who makes it. It's brass cased. I have a bipod on the rifle. It's a somewhat cheap one. I've been looking at bench rests and will check out the links above. I generally shoot pistol or .223 from a Colt Match AR.

Top Bottom