What is your dream ride? Let's see some pics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The dealer was very excited to show that off when I complained. He was upset to find the first one I drove was already in sport mode.

We adjusted the 2nd one before I took it out.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I

When me and wife decided to build a car, that one came up as one if the 3 finalists. Along with the FFR mk4 and rats glass speedstar. Chose the mk4 since I can make the most for the least money on it and turn it over for a profit to build one of the others later. I love the updated chassis of the ffr but I've loved the speedstar since it debuted.

My mk4 kit should ship the week of august 12th. Not sure if I'm more excited about the car or the build lol

The mk4 should be a great car when finished, you should be able to smoke some much higher priced cars. What are you using for drive-train? I'm guessing you are going to go Ford?

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    For SHTF situations.

mad-max-police-car.jpg

If you have the cheese you can get one. I always wanted an early 90's model and put the same mods as a Mustang, but unless they are a certain number of years old you have to have everything converted.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Right now I am living the 'dream ride'! Almost 18 HP of castor oil lubed 2 stroke kart. Clutch comes in at about 10K. I had about an hour (including race) in it as of 7 weeks ago. Today I put about an hour in. "bang for the buck" for sure. It was fun today with slicks on a damp track. The karts are now dirty. First lap I hit a spot where there was no way around the water and it felt like the left front put 5 gallons on me. I have to come home & turn the hose on all my gear.

I have ridden in some super cars and know guys that own them. Super cars have some annoying drawbacks. The kart is way better in terms of fun. Today I pushed 2 karts back into the pits, not gonna happen in most cars. One downside of karts is it fits the driver and is hard to swap kart & driver. If the seat doesn't fit you you will be miserable. There are specs such as fuel, oil and tire. There is a minimum weight to give the heavier guys a chance. You have get weighed every time you come of the track at a race. It is a lot of fun for the money. A rib vest is optional in our class. Everyone says do not run without one. Guys break ribs without crashing. A kart needs to be on a stand to start & run in in the pits for safety. Starter is external and it does not idle. So if you don't maintain the throttle it will kill. Then you are stuck there until someone can restart you. Some karts push start, some have onboard starters. You can change the lo/hi speed needle settings as you drive on some.

I am still very much learning the basics and trying the move on to the finer points. Next session I plan on making some chassis adjustments. So Far I have not tuned anything. For example we didn't even try to do a wet setup.

We are 2 rookies that got 2 karts within the last 2 months and a lot of it was uphill. It is physically demanding. More so it is mentally demanding. 14 turns in 42-50 seconds is a lot and some are high G's. Sharing a track with slower and faster karts is also stressful. At first there are so many things going on it is ovewhelming.

I have not taken any pics yet. I was too busy having fun.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    If you have the cheese you can get one. I always wanted an early 90's model and put the same mods as a Mustang, but unless they are a certain number of years old you have to have everything converted.

There are a few Falcons in the US but only a couple are even running any more.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Right now I am living the 'dream ride'! Almost 18 HP of castor oil lubed 2 stroke kart. Clutch comes in at about 10K. I had about an hour (including race) in it as of 7 weeks ago. Today I put about an hour in. "bang for the buck" for sure. It was fun today with slicks on a damp track. The karts are now dirty. First lap I hit a spot where there was no way around the water and it felt like the left front put 5 gallons on me. I have to come home & turn the hose on all my gear.

I have ridden in some super cars and know guys that own them. Super cars have some annoying drawbacks. The kart is way better in terms of fun. Today I pushed 2 karts back into the pits, not gonna happen in most cars. One downside of karts is it fits the driver and is hard to swap kart & driver. If the seat doesn't fit you you will be miserable. There are specs such as fuel, oil and tire. There is a minimum weight to give the heavier guys a chance. You have get weighed every time you come of the track at a race. It is a lot of fun for the money. A rib vest is optional in our class. Everyone says do not run without one. Guys break ribs without crashing. A kart needs to be on a stand to start & run in in the pits for safety. Starter is external and it does not idle. So if you don't maintain the throttle it will kill. Then you are stuck there until someone can restart you. Some karts push start, some have onboard starters. You can change the lo/hi speed needle settings as you drive on some.

I am still very much learning the basics and trying the move on to the finer points. Next session I plan on making some chassis adjustments. So Far I have not tuned anything. For example we didn't even try to do a wet setup.

We are 2 rookies that got 2 karts within the last 2 months and a lot of it was uphill. It is physically demanding. More so it is mentally demanding. 14 turns in 42-50 seconds is a lot and some are high G's. Sharing a track with slower and faster karts is also stressful. At first there are so many things going on it is ovewhelming.

I have not taken any pics yet. I was too busy having fun.
    Start up cost? Seriously interested at some point.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA

That's a '73 XB GT Ford Falcon. Probably be very hard to find here as they're an Australian car. 90's models look nowhere near as good.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Start up cost? Seriously interested at some point.

I would say 5K would be minimum going used plus or minus 1K. That is for everything kart (used), gear & safety equipment(new). Main issue on safety is your helmet needs to fit. You might get lucky on some used pit gear like a stand and starter. I am not going to shell out money for a custom painted helmet, some do. So you can pee money away on bling or spend it on practical. Some shade and creature comfort are nice

What really matters is where are you going to run it. Some tracks have spec classes that are only good at that track. So you want a kart that has an eligible class near you and some people in that class. Some classes have high kart counts, some don't. Having guys to run with is where the thrill is. Lapping is fun, racing is way more fun. There are times when having an empty track is nice, but race day ain't it.

There are some guys that have two tracks near them and can meet spec at one track and change some things to meet spec at the other. As far as traveling to other tracks I don't have a need at this time. Some spec differences can be tires, fuel or easy to change parts. Weight limits can be different. Other parts like what pipe get a little more involved. All of this has costs, takes time and affect setup of kart.

There are some classes with good national and even international specs they just cost a little more up front. The Rotax TAGs are one. TAG is Touch & Go with an onboard starter. Rotax DD2 are push start though. There are aspects of each class that are good and bad. Today for 2 karts we needed 2 different starters and a 3rd person to start. TAG is convenient. Not that you ever want to be on track by yourself with nobody else around.

The local track & kart shop is where to start. Spend some time at a race or two and a practice day and the drivers will talk if they have the time. They may have a rental carts or even a class.

There is still some fragmentation in karting by local or region but I think it is better than ever. I tried to get into karting years ago and classes would appear & then go away. There were no local tracks. I could never get in touch with the one in Lafayette. I just gave up & moved on.

Car racing class structure was simpler to comprehend at one time. You used to just see what the SCCA had going on. Now some smaller sanctioning bodies have popped up.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I don't know if these are like the FF GTM, but your transmission choices are few and insanely expensive...

A little more choices than the GTM but every bit as expensive.

By the time I have the money to do something like this there will be a better car available to build.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    The mk4 should be a great car when finished, you should be able to smoke some much higher priced cars. What are you using for drive-train? I'm guessing you are going to go Ford?

Yep. I've got a 310 rwhp 302 gonna go in it. Should be great to drive and stay reliable, without overheating and such. And, you right. At 2k lbs or so, it'll be quite quick. And, if not enough could always throw a Vortech at it lol

Top Bottom