What makes one progressive press better than another?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Ease of use, flexibility, ability to switch calibers easily without having to readjust dies, operating speed, smooth functioning, customer support. All of these issues become more important for someone who loads 12K rounds a year compared to someone loading only hundreds. For all those reasons, I feel my Dillon 550B gives me great value for the dollar.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    And to add to Curtis' post, the warranty, customer support/service and every detail relating to after purchase satisfaction. It really boils down to quality...

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Speaking of Dillons, they are truly a NO B.S. Warranty. Just ask Derek (FD807) on here. He recently bought a 550 and broke a part while putting it together. He called Dillon and told them what happened and that he broke the part and they still sent him a replacement FREE!!!

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Isn't the 550B a manual indexing turret press?

Yes
    That's one of the reasons that I like the 550.

I've also had Dillon send me replacement parts that I said broke because of my actions, and offered to pay for. They sent the parts for free.
    This happened more than once.

Art

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes
    That's one of the reasons that I like the 550.

I've also had Dillon send me replacement parts that I said broke because of my actions, and offered to pay for. They sent the parts for free.
    This happened more than once.

Art

Why do you like that it's manual?

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Why do you like that it's manual?

When I load rounds for some of my match rifles I use my Dillon as sort of a single stage press. I trickle the powder for each round. I don't need to do this, the Dillon will throw consistent enough loads, but it's just something that I choose to do. I tend to be kinda anal about accuracy.
    Being a manual gives me a little more versatility. I can repeat an action if I choose to.

Art

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    The 550 is a progressive press, just not an auto-indexing press. You have to manually advance the shellplate, which can be an advantage under some circumstances as Art explained.

Lack of auto-indexing makes it a little simpler and easier to "backup" if you have a problem. Caliber conversions are simpler and cheaper. Sure, you have to pay attention while you're loading, but you should do that anyway. I have an LED shining down into station 3 to make sure powder is always there before setting a bullet in the case.

I sure wouldn't turn down a 650 with case feeder, but the 550 is the greatest bang for the buck, IMO.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The rigidity of the press and that it is not fragile. The ability to use other companies standard dies.

On a Dillon 550B you can manually double index to only size/deprime bottleneck rifle cases if you want. I prefer having a separate tool head.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Speaking of Dillons, they are truly a NO B.S. Warranty. Just ask Derek (FD807) on here. He recently bought a 550 and broke a part while putting it together. He called Dillon and told them what happened and that he broke the part and they still sent him a replacement FREE!!!

I had a similar experience. They are great and dont ask questions. NO BS.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Hornady Lock N Load Auto Progressive is a great press as well. I went with the Lock N Load over the 550b for these reasons (in order of importance for me): Auto-indexing, slightly cheaper than 550b, caliber conversions are cheaper, warranty was as good as Dillon (no questions asked lifetime), and 5 die stations.

IMO, both presses are quality and will serve you well.

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    I really like my Dillon 650, BUT there are days that it doesn't like me. When something goes wrong it is a pain to get back to running normal. My main complaint with the 650 is the priming system is very sensitive to handle movement.....i.e. you must complete the stroke. If you hesitate or try to correct somthing mid stroke it throws the primer timing off.

I added a case feeder to my 550B and it almost makes me wish I had another one instead of the 650 because of the ease of getting things back to normal. I get more crushed cases with the 550 feeder that I do with the 650. The 550's priming system is more friendly than the one on the 650 when something "happens".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Antho88
    Top Bottom