What parts do I need to get a 3lb trigger on my R/I 1911?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Like the title says I'm looking for a low 3 lb trigger on my Rock Island 1911. It has a pretty good trigger now but I want better. What modifications and/or hammer/sear parts would you suggest to get the results I'm looking for? Specific brand for parts please.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I've done a mild trigger job on a couple of my 1911s. I have a stainless S&W 1911 E I got down to 3 lbs and negligible trigger creep. Still own that one. There are multiple you tube videos to show you how also. A guy can learn pretty much anything on YT these days.
    I replaced the main (hammer) spring with a 19 or 20 lb unit. Also replaced the sear spring with a Cylinder and Slide unit (link below). That leaf spring serves 3 function purposes within the pistol: sear spring, grip safety spring, and trigger return spring if my memory serves me well right now.

Once you partially disassemble the pistol, observe how the trigger bow moves within the main frame and do some light polishing to the bow and/or frame to reduce friction. I will CAUTION you BIG TIME, do not alter the hammer engagement area/its shelf, nor the sear by filing or heavy polish. You can easily render your pistol mechanically unsafe, or non-functional.
    Those angles are critical to a safe and proper functioning pistol. Also, you better have a trigger pull measuring device. I own the Wheeler electronic. You have to have an accurate trigger pull measuring device to establish a baseline weight in your unaltered pistol first. Like execute 5 clean measurements before mods and record these on paper as your baseline. Then measure after mods to see what your improvements have done. If you are not mechanically inclined or willing to purchase the tools to measure and execute the mods, you would be better off paying a professional to do a trigger job on your 1911.

I'm sure there are a few capable gunsmiths in the BR area who could execute a trigger job on your 1911 to whatever your end goal is (3 lb trigger release and zero creep). Seems like I remember a fellow who is a member here who is a gunsmith, in Denham or Livingston I believe from my memory. "Jake" comes to mind perhaps, but I could be wrong on that. Think about it, easier to pay a pro $100 or $150 to do it right, and not render your pistol non-functional or worse yet, unsafe. I bet that Big Chillin Guy here knows a guy around Denham or BR. Nick down in Garyville is capable, but that is quite a distance from you. Nick used to sometimes do the job while you wait if you arrange/communicate with him in advance. I have known Nick Laseigne for 30 + years. Nick's Gun Shop and Range. Ok, TMI here.

C&S leaf spring

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm very mechanically inclined and have taken gun down to bare bones numerous times. I saw the video about the Ed Brown sear jig, but don't want to spend that much on it right here @ Christmas time. If someone local has one and would let me use it that would be great too. The spring link you listed sounds like a easy thing to try first before any major work so I'll probably get that first. I still want to polish my sear and hammer since looking at them they aren't making good contact. As of now the trigger is about 4.2-4.6 lbs and pretty nice feel, I just want it to be better. Thanks for the advice.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I'm very mechanically inclined and have taken gun down to bare bones numerous times. I saw the video about the Ed Brown sear jig, but don't want to spend that much on it right here @ Christmas time. If someone local has one and would let me use it that would be great too. The spring link you listed sounds like a easy thing to try first before any major work so I'll probably get that first. I still want to polish my sear and hammer since looking at them they aren't making good contact. As of now the trigger is about 4.2-4.6 lbs and pretty nice feel, I just want it to be better. Thanks for the advice.

You are welcome. I did polish mine lightly, sear and hammer contact areas with red crocus cloth and a small flat file. It can be done, just don't get carried way with it, nor alter the factory angles on each. How the trigger slides within the frame is a big deal, some are rather rough and add resistance or friction to the process. Also I apply synthetic grease to the hammer and sear contact points upon re-assembly, just like in my AR-15 lower builds. And a really good syn gun oil on all the pivot points/pins. My Smith is a clean 3 lbs, no creep. I've done a few over the years. My Canik SFX with a Burris red dot on it (my range toy to burn ammo) I joined the Canik forum, read everything there, installed a Freedomsmith trigger (gorgeous milled AL), changed a few springs, trial and error, and polished most of the linkage. It ended up at 2 lbs 8 oz, totally reliable. Never had a round FTF. I purchased a new black Canik Rival, have not touched its trigger as Canik tuned it from their Turkish factory. Might be one of the best factory triggers ever. Glock triggers got nothing on the latest factory Canik triggers. I'd like to have one of the new Canik Rival satin chromed steel framed, but they are are still like unicorns in the market. And what is on Gunbroker, sellers are puckin crazy overpriced. They just made the Rival heavier, like 46 or 48 ozs. I also had a CZ Shadow 2 I worked over/polished and added a few select Cajun Gunworks parts to it, 7 lb DA pull slick as snot. SA was around 3 lbs. Again totally reliable. The Shadow was another range toy only. Sold it a while back.

This all started about 30 years ago when a co-worker of mine took apart his Ruger semi auto 9mm carbine completely, but couldn't re-assemble it. So he gave it to me (all the parts in a box) and I re-assembled it and made it functional once again. Polished his trigger components too, just for the hell of it. He was happy. Ruger 9mm Camp Carbine if I remember correctly. It was a pretty simple lock work.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Going back to my old notebook (I record notes for each firearm before and after mods) my CZ Shadow 2 was DA = 5lbs 13 oz and SA was 2 lbs 1 oz after mods. CZ builds a really nice pistol, quality. No excess BS safeties either in their comp intended guns. Good to keep notes imo.

My SFX was 4 lbs 12 oz before, 2 lbs 8 oz after. Full disclosure: thinking about it, my modded SFX did have some FTFs with cheap Russian steel case ammo. Harder primers I bet.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ....This all started about 30 years ago when a co-worker of mine took apart his Ruger ...
    My journey started with a new Kel-Tec P-3AT years ago. It was a NIB turd. I decided I wanted to make it work for me as the gun was cheap and I really did not have much to lose. Now all these years later I still have that little 380 and she is 100% reliable. @Bam Bam - remember those days?

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Sounds like you are very organized and methodological in your work. I'm sure your triggers are fantastic.

My problem is my very first pistol I bought was a Ruger Security Six 357 from an old retired Gunsmith from Baker. He was selling out his stuff and had this gun sitting there at a table in the Centroplex back in 82, I had to have it. He had performed a very nice action job on it putting 50 rds thru it along with a few other mods. It's right at 2 lbs in SA and smooth as silk in DA. I really learned how to shoot good with this gun. Problem is everything else kinda sucks after playing with this one. It's kind of like learning how to drive in a Corvette, everything else feels like you driving a Chevette! My comp AR triggers is 1 1/4 lb and almost every other gun I own has a lighter or good trigger. So I'm familiar with the sear/hammer angles and such as I played extensively on my AR triggers experimenting with them and a few times going too far and having issues so I tend to stick to polishing, lubing good and cutting down spring tension and such and if that don't work then I'll buy a good trigger. I appreciate all the good advice. Merry Christmas!

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My journey started with a new Kel-Tec P-3AT years ago. It was a NIB turd. I decided I wanted to make it work for me as the gun was cheap and I really did not have much to lose. Now all these years later I still have that little 380 and she is 100% reliable. @Bam Bam - remember those days?
    Yes I do. I was the first to make a post on performing a trigger job on the SU-16 and even had Toby O's blessings (designer of the SU-16).

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Sounds like you are very organized and methodological in your work. I'm sure your triggers are fantastic.

My problem is my very first pistol I bought was a Ruger Security Six 357 from an old retired Gunsmith from Baker. He was selling out his stuff and had this gun sitting there at a table in the Centroplex back in 82, I had to have it. He had performed a very nice action job on it putting 50 rds thru it along with a few other mods. It's right at 2 lbs in SA and smooth as silk in DA. I really learned how to shoot good with this gun. Problem is everything else kinda sucks after playing with this one. It's kind of like learning how to drive in a Corvette, everything else feels like you driving a Chevette! My comp AR triggers is 1 1/4 lb and almost every other gun I own has a lighter or good trigger. So I'm familiar with the sear/hammer angles and such as I played extensively on my AR triggers experimenting with them and a few times going too far and having issues so I tend to stick to polishing, lubing good and cutting down spring tension and such and if that don't work then I'll buy a good trigger. I appreciate all the good advice. Merry Christmas!

Yes, you sound very competent. I didn't know your level of expertise when I first responded, and didn't want to get a guy into trouble. Your Security Six sounds like the dream to me, I bet it is very sweet. Merry Christmas to you and your family, sir :)

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yes, you sound very competent. I didn't know your level of expertise when I first responded, and didn't want to get a guy into trouble. Your Security Six sounds like the dream to me, I bet it is very sweet. Merry Christmas to you and your family, sir :)
    No problem. And yes my Ruger is sweet, one day we need to get together and let you see for yourself.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    No problem. And yes my Ruger is sweet, one day we need to get together and let you see for yourself.
    I'm down for that. I'll bring my Caniks, and my Smith 1911. Last few years I have been shooting at Bedico Creek Range. Mike and his father Mr Jimmy run the place, nothin fancy for sure but it is safe. I have not been to Nick's in 5 or 6 years.
    I am retired so I go shootin during the week and avoid the weekend crowds. But can make an exception if necessary.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Right now its prob pretty slow at the ranges, with the holidays and stuff. And the weather (cold or rainy). It usually gets busy right before hunting season opens, like a month or so before deer season opens. I would think right now is a slow time for Bedico, or any of the ranges. Apocalypse Sports is building a new indoor range and store in Ponchy close to I-55, on the west side of it. I have not been over there in quite a while to pickup a firearm, or get an update on the new building. Josh Burns, retired Navy frog.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm down for that. I'll bring my Caniks, and my Smith 1911. Last few years I have been shooting at Bedico Creek Range.
    I've never been over there, I generally always go to Honey Island which is a longer drive but well run facility. Once hunting season is over and Temps start warming back up we definitely need to get together.
    I hate shooting alone, but since a buddy has a local hunting lease with a makeshift range very close to my house I don't mind running by there a having a little fun sometimes.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Once unting season is over and Temps start warming back up we definitely need to get together.
    I hate shooting alone, but since a buddy has a local hunting lease with a makeshift range very close to my house I don't mind running by there a having a little fun sometimes.
    Absolutely, lets do it. And we'll try to line up @Mitch Dufour with us too. In the spring of 2024 some time.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Sounds like a plan! Mitch you in??
    That is a long trip for me to get some trigger time! I shoot 6 minutes from the house on a private range that is about as nice as I could hope for!

But if you guys want to make it up here, I'll spring for range fees and lunch!

DWX 1st range day (16).jpg

Top Bottom