What parts do I need to get a 3lb trigger on my R/I 1911?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I'm a fan of Ed Brown's Perfection Semi-Drop in trigger pull kit.

I tried a number of good triggers over the years and I prefer Ed Brown. I use oil and an ultra fine ceramic stone to polish the surfaces to get the desired results. I also bend the spring to get the desired tension and polish the trigger bow and recommend getting an adjustable trigger. I think I went with a Fusion trigger.

After the prep and installation the Ed Brown Perfection kit will smooth out with some use, yielding a glass rod like break and no creep if you adjust the trigger properly. My trigger is approx 3.5lbs. You will find a good trigger break adjusted properly its less critical to the pull weight unless you are shooting bullseye competitions. I like the trigger to require some thought to press and break.

I do not recommend trying to work oem trigger components unless you know your FCG is properly heat treated and of quality materials. A friend has an old
    Colt and the sear and hammer was very crudely fitted, the hardness was subpar also. Regardless to the fitting and polishing the old FCG could never yield an exceptional result. Fitting an Ed Brown FCG into it solved the problem: they are properly heat treated and quality steel.

Good luck!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    EGW ignition components are the gold standard among us action shooting guys. Hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring, and main spring are all included in the kit.
    FYI replacing the sear may require some fitting of the thumb safety or even replacement.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I think I'm going to try that leaf spring and new trigger from C & S to take up the slack vertically in my gun and see if that helps first. Then will figure out what to do next t. Thanks for the help John and Mitch.
    Ok my parts finally came in today and after I got home I went out to my workshop and installed the new leaf spring and trigger from C & S. I took the time to lightly file the opening in the frame which seemed to be tight on the new trigger. Once the trigger assembly fell in place I installed the new lighter weight leaf spring. Once I got it all together and lubed up and over-rated screw set I checked my trigger pull, ALMOST SAME AS BEFOREI STARTED! 4.4 lbs on average now, but crap I was hoping for 3-3.5 lbs, now trigger does feel a little better now it's tighter fitting, but this spring was supposed to drop pull by 1-1 1/2 lbs, nope! Not real happy about it, so I guess I'm going to have to buy a trigger kit to get to where I want to be.

Attachments

• 20240108_193612.jpg
      20240108_193612.jpg
      413.2 KB · Views: 15

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Bend the left leg back about 1/16”. Make the bend as low as possible. Lay the spring on it’s side and trace the shape on a piece of paper. Use that as your guide. Measure the change at the very top.
    Too much bend and the hammer will start to follow the slide.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Bend the left leg back about 1/16”. Make the bend as low as possible. Lay the spring on it’s side and trace the shape on a piece of paper. Use that as your guide. Measure the change at the very top.
    Too much bend and the hammer will start to follow the slide.
    Mr D was showing me this among other things, wish I would have took notes or videoed it because he is a wealth of information/experience. No way I could remember all the stuff he told me, but most of it stuck. I'm waiting on the new hammer spring to arrive then off to the range I go to see how much better I can shoot it. This gun already groups good with WWB and I bought some more while waiting so I can't wait to shoot it. Then I need to start reloading for it soon, but that's another story.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have come to the conclusion that my digital trigger pull gauge is not reading correctly or consistently. Since my expert tuning on my 1911 Mr D had the NRA weight set for measuring trigger pull and he got it close to my goal weight. We compared the two gauges back to back, my gauge would not read super consistent and of course the weights did, but it was close. Well I had to order a few parts to get my trigger better which we had swapped from Mr D's gun and the trigger was better, got one of the main parts in (19lb hammer spring) checked pull with my gauge then swapped spring, rechecked with my gauge to see the improvement, maybe 2-3 ounces. My gauge has never been the most consistent so I'm just looking for a average over at least 5 attempts. So right now I don't trust this gauge and even the gun itself doesn't feel any better. I'm still waiting on my new Wilson Combat hammer to come in, but snail mail is trying my patience too. Should be here tmw. The funny thing is the hammer spring made a noticeable difference during Mr D's tweaking, going from 23 to 19 lbs should make something noticeable you think.
    Right now I'm so aggravated I want to sell both of them and buy much better ones, but budget says nope so to prevent me from throwing them both in the garbage I decided to walk away from it till I can get a better gauge. Does anyone in the Denham area have the Wheeler or Lyman digital gauge I could borrow? I know my perfectly calibrated trigger finger isn't lying to me so it must be my gauge. lol

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    OK so my Wilson Combat hammer came in today and I immediately went and installed it. A quick double check with my "questionable" trigger pull gauge seemed to be consistently right @ 3.4 lbs. So after installing this hammer my pull weight is a very consistent 2.6 lbs right where I want it with very little creep. I cycled the trigger with the new hammer 30-40 times before I checked it to help seat it and finally I think it's pretty darn good now. I still would love to borrow someone elses gauge and do a quick check on it and compare mine again.

So the list of aftermarket parts installed I used to get it where I wanted it consist of sear spring & trigger from C&S, the tuning by Mr D and then a Wolff 19lb hammer spring and Wilson Combat value line trigger. Total costs of the mentioned parts less than $100 and of course the knowledge gained from a very experienced gunsmith is priceless. I can't wait to go shoot it some and see how RIA is gonna do with this nice trigger.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Range Report:

I finally got around to taking it to the range today. I picked the wrong day to go and boy was it busy there. The crowd of people there really didn't allow me to concentrate on making good groups so I mainly shot to check function. I did have a few issues, but they were all magazine related and NOT a function of the gun misbehaving any. I have 2 of the 3 of my Metalform mags still not locking back on empty mags while one does and the factory mags functions just fine. The new trigger work was nice and all performed as it should. I put 100 + rounds thru it and it ran good. I am pleased with it now and have told myself to "leave it alone" now, but no promises made! I couldn't get any good target pics or videos, bit after one mag thru it I put a fresh target up and was pleased to get a perfect Bullseye on the first shot. I still am very happy with my purchase of this gun. I need more 1911's now, one in each flavor! lol

Top Bottom