What to do in New Orleans?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    The GF is flying down from Chicago to lovely Ft. Polk so we're going to take a trip to NO for a day.

Neither of us are drinkers or gamblers. Just mainly thinking about a couple of good restaurants and some sight seeing stuff to do.

Any suggestions?

I told her that I would like to stay with local specialties, not going to eat at a chain restaurant where the food tastes the same whether I'm in NO or Chicago.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I was going to say get drunk and gamble but seeing how that is out here is a short list.

Zoo
    Aquarium
    Tour the French Quarter
    Tour the French Quarter
    Eat a lot of good food.
    A lot of nice boutique shops on Royal Street, including a very nice antique arms shop. Cohen Brothers I think it is called.
    Cafe Du Monde

But seriously if you are interested in the culture or architecture of the city go by the National parks Service building on Decatur and pick up a map/brochure and do some walking.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Never Been?

Crabby Jacks for Shrimp and/or Oyster Po-Boys
    Walk the French Quarter - Lots of stuff to do and see here.
    Cafe Du Monde
    WW2 Museum
    Deanies for BBQ Shrimp.... YOU HAVE TO EAT BBQ SHRIMP!!! It ain't what you think if you don't already know.
    Dragos for Char-grilled Oysters

Plenty of stuff for a day.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Despite the sarcastic remarks you'll hear, New Orleans can be an awesome place to visit.

Just use your head and don't take risks, just like any city.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee. You go to the WWII museum, Audubon Aquarium, Audubon Zoo or tour the French quarter. Central Grocery has the BEST muffaletta - I'll take a few when you come back through Alexandria.:) Keep in mind Mardi Gras is in season, so I'm sure NO will be CRAZY!! You could scratch NO and go to the Riverwalk in Shreveport. It's a great place to go as well. ENJOY!!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee. You go to the WWII museum, Audubon Aquarium, Audubon Zoo or tour the French quarter. Central Grocery has the BEST muffaletta - I'll take a few when you come back through Alexandria.:) Keep in mind Mardi Gras is in season, so I'm sure NO will be CRAZY!! You could scratch NO and go to the Riverwalk in Shreveport. It's a great place to go as well. ENJOY!!

Good stuff. Don't forget King Cake!

Honestly, Mardi Gras is too crowded for me.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    What date is she coming down?
    If it's before the 22nd and no drinking or gambling you'd probably enjoy Lafayette and BR more, or wait until Mardi Gras is over with, but then if you've never seen Mardi Gras down there you might want to go.
    Then again if she is going to be here for it consider going to Mamou, it's one of those things on my list I didn't get done while I was there.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    WWII museum is defiantly a must see, the problem is it can and will eat your whole day. Not saying it is not worth it but it depends on how much you want to cram into one day.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Whatever you do, DO NOT go to the Gumbo Pot in the French Quarter. It's next to the ferry. The wife and I thought that would be a good spot to eat because of the location. It was anything but. The "host" was some punk in a XXXXXXL white polo that was tucked into his sagging black dress pants. Service was horrible. There were bones in my wife's red beans and rice (to which she was told... they're there for flavor.... Yes, that's why they cook them in the pot... you do not serve people small pieces of bone in their food). Food was just bad. The worst food experience I've had since I've been here. I'm sorry I paid for the meal.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I live near New Orleans and a tourist friend of mine introduced me to a great way to experience some of the best cuisine the city has to offer. Amble around the French Quarter and visit as many 4 and 5 star restaurants as you can, go in and order a (non-alcoholic) drink and their house specialty whether it's in an appetizer or dessert and then amble on down to the next restaurant. I've done this a number of times and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's affordable and gets you some of the best of the best. Here are a few suggestions:
    Galatoire's on Bourbon St - Oysters Rockefeller or Shrimp Remoulade
    Court of Two Sisters - Shrimp en Brochette
    Emiril's - Homemade Andouille and Boudin
    Brennan's - Bananas Foster
    and a horse drawn carriage tour is pretty nice too.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Uptown/GD:

Dante's for brunch.
    Upperline.
    La Crepe Nanou.
    Jacqueimos x 1,000,000
    Martinique Bistro.
    The Rum House (sick Caribbean).
    Mahony's Po Boys (bit pricey, but excellent)
    Pascal's Manale (not my favorite, but a popular one nonetheless)
    Charlie's Steak House (old school)

And if you're talking about the CBD area... I cannot stress Mother's enough.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    It won't be in time for her getting here but they are almost done building a Dave and busters in metairie that should be really fun once its open. They also have a really nice river walk down here. As far as the parades go try to go during they day they are more enjoyable that way and tend to have less to no "wanna be gangstas" around. All of the above suggestions are really great they also have a awsome sandwhich place called "Mothers" great po boys there. Don't be discouraged by the negative things some say about new orleans its a really cool to visit especially this time of year. The parades usually attract the crowds making the nice places to go that are normally crowed very pleasing.

Damn in the time it took me to type this two people mentioned mothers lmao.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Tons of great restaurant suggestions already previously mentioned

Few of my favorites:

Dante's Kitchen (Bruch is my Favorite)
    Jacque-Imo's
    Coop's Place
    Casemento's (Only open during Oyster Season)

I had a blast doing the Segway tour of the French Quarter with my wife and parents.
    Check out NOLA.com for a list of festivals

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    We live in New Orleans, near tourist areas, and have much experience directing visitors. I say ignore all of the above except staying in Lafayete during Mardi Gras.

Seeing New Orleans in one day is IMPOSSIBLE.

Here is my suggestion. Stay @ Place d'Armes Hotel on St. Anne. Leave car there. Get up EARLY and walk one block to Cafe du Monde for coffee au lait & beignets. Go back to room, shower, & dress; tell GF to wear running or walking shoes & jeans. Go to Cabildo, less than one block, get museum tickets. Try to see Cabildo in 90 minutes. Walk over to Acme Oyster Bar on Iberville for EARLY lunch; split a "Peacemaker"Po-Boy". Walk down Bourbon Street, back to Hotel, "freshen up" ("nooner"), see Presbytere Museum right across St.Anne St. Walk up RiverWalk to the Aquarium of the Americas, take brief tour. Take Red Line streetcar up Canal to "Cemeteries" & Back, get transfer to riverside line & take that streetcar back to its downriver end near U.S.Mint Museum. If Mint is open, take quick tour. Walk on Esplanade to Rue Royale, stop at Verti-Marte for a to-go meal, all selections are good. Go back to RiverWalk Park behind Jackson Brewery for scenic lunch. Back to room, ready for departure, & go. All 3 Museums are on the same "ticket". Ask Mr. Valentino for a late check out when making reservation; tell them that you are a US serviceman with little time and money.

DO NOT try to run all over town as suggested above. Yes, the WW-II Museum is wonderful, one of our favorites; BUT, it just won't fit into a one-day "tour". If you can, arrive early AM and spend the night @ Place d' Armes.

Now, if I were you; I'd take a tour of the coastal highway through the great Louisiana coastal marshes, LA Hwy 14, from South of Lake Charles, through Grand Prairie, Pecan Island, Stop at Suire's store South of Kaplan for a plate lunch, go through Avery Island Tropical Gardens, the home of Tabasco, off HWY 14 between Delcambre & New Iberia, stop at Riverside Restaurant, off US 90, near Broussard, LA, for a "crab platter", spend the night in Lafayette or nearby, and head back to Polk. "Safer", cheaper, closer, more scenic, and MUCH more "Louisiana".

Enjoy your trip.

I am going to PM you my contact info, for in case you have questions.

leVieux

Top Bottom