What to do in New Orleans?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Lots of great suggestions. I'll add Dragos for seafood especially their grilled oysters and Houston's for the atmosphere in addition to the steaks.

If you've never been to N.O. then people suggest walking the quarter you think of Bourbon St. Lots of bars, drunk people, strip clubs, t-shirt and souvenir shops. Royal St, one street over, is what your girlfriend would enjoy. Lots of artist shops, antiques, and just neat shops (don't miss Cohen's antique weapons, btw).

Last edited:

Paladin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Whatever you do, DO NOT go to the Gumbo Pot in the French Quarter. It's next to the ferry. The wife and I thought that would be a good spot to eat because of the location. It was anything but. The "host" was some punk in a XXXXXXL white polo that was tucked into his sagging black dress pants. Service was horrible. There were bones in my wife's red beans and rice (to which she was told... they're there for flavor.... Yes, that's why they cook them in the pot... you do not serve people small pieces of bone in their food). Food was just bad. The worst food experience I've had since I've been here. I'm sorry I paid for the meal.

I live in Wisconsin, buy my daughter lives in NOLa. She sent me gumbo from the Gumbo Pot...awful...disgusting stuff.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Despite the sarcastic remarks you'll hear, New Orleans can be an awesome place to visit.

Just use your head and don't take risks, just like any city.

Agreed, let the chicken littles peck dust off their rotting porches. The world beyond their little planked rectangle is scary and helicopters are angry gods twirling lassos.

I would just hang out in the Quarter with one day. Ditch Bourbon for the streets closer to the river.

I really like the Charlie's Steak House idea for local color alone.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Dragos - shrimp ang grits
    Bayona - garlic soup and anything else there(make reservations early)
    French Quarter/Jackson Square/French Market in the AM
    Aquarium / WWII Museum PM

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    http://www.neworleanscvb.com/

^^^ is the official New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau site. They have LOTS of info for you to look through. One new restaurant that's well worth a try is Borgne in the Hyatt. It's run by John Besh. My son cooks for him there and at the American Sector in the WWII museum.

By now you've probably seen that it's tough to do New Orleans in one day, but come down and have fun anyway - just don't wander too far off the beaten path, especially between midnight and dawn.

tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    WW2 museum is a must we also enjoyed Blaine Kerns Mardi Gras World it is were they make all the floats and ball sets it was really cool defiantly worth a look

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Neither of us are drinkers or gamblers. Just mainly thinking about a couple of good restaurants and some sight seeing stuff to do.

Any suggestions?

I work in New Orleans M-F and find that its good in the daylight hours. If you're down there after dark, my main suggestion would be to make sure you don't get robbed.

I would check out Drago's for the food and then check out Snug Harbor for a Marsalis quartet show.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I second Jacques-Imo's (Aligator Sausage Cheesecake), Crabby-Jack's (Jacques Leonardi's other restaurant), WWII Museum, Emeril's NOLA, Pascal's Manale.

Also, here's a good list by neighborhood
    http://www.nomenu.com/joomla1/index...t&view=category&layout=blog&id=197&Itemid=204

One thing you MUST know about Jacques-Imo's is that to have a conversation you're going to have to scream at the top of your lungs. This is no exaggeration. The ambient noise level there is truly phenomenal. I've been to concerts in small bars with lower noise levels. Frankly I can't remember what the food was like, because I was nauseated by the loud noise. I was shouting in the ear of the woman next to me, and she couldn't hear me. It's really, really that loud. On the other hand it is very kitschy if you know what I mean.

What to do depends upon what you want. If you want elegant dining, perhaps the Palace Cafe, or Emeril's will do or even Commander's Palace. The last time I went to Commander's they treated me like I was out back in the alley, so I haven't been back. Your mileage may vary ... Pascal's Manale is as stated a good mid-level restaurant with excellent local cuisine.

If you're out for sandwiches, do NOT go to Mothers. It's been coasting on its reputation for years. The sandwiches are remarkably mediocre. In fact if sandwich-type food is your expectation level I would recommend either Liuzza's or Mandina's - both near Canal St. and Carrollton. The nice thing about these places (aside form the delicious food and high sodium content) is their proximity to Brocato's Ice Cream at Canal and Carrollton.

If Asian food is your thing, we have Singha Song uptown a 30-minute streetcar ride from Canal St. at the Riverbend area. It's the best Thai food I've had in the area, and we've tried a lot of them. For Vietnamese food, the West Bank hosts 9 Roses at Stumph and the West Bank Expressway where the clientele is mainly Vietnamese people - always a good sign. Their menu is like six pages long. In the East, Pho Bang is excellent, but blue collar. No elegant tables or service here. I recommend their rice noodles with sliced eggroll. Wow!

Do not come here for Bar-B-Q, Chinese food, or Mexican (truly awful here). You can get moderately good Greek food, but nothing to write home about.

What New Orleans does REALLY well is blend various culinary styles into unique concoctions topped with a creole twist. If that's you're goal, then Emeril's, Palace Cafe, Commander's Palace, Pascal's Manale, Brennan's, etc.

Cafe Du Monde for beinets is a nice, relaxing experience. Don't try to do too much. Oh, and have fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom