What up with a Mini 14?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snot rod

Hot Rodder Extraordinair
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    St. Amant
    I am a noob to the site and noob to guns...I might have to get me a few here shortly...new pres elect :rolleyes:

I would like some input on a Mini 14.

thanks,

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I am a noob to the site and noob to guns...I might have to get me a few here shortly...new pres elect :rolleyes:

I would like some input on a Mini 14.

thanks,
    Welcome to the site!

Mini 14's are nice little rifles, based on the M14/Garand, and scaled down. (hence the name Mini 14) They are not known for their accuracy, and be sure to use the factory magazines that are now available directly from Ruger for @ $30 each.

I'll go ahead and be the first to say it, since I know others will be along thinking the same. Why not an AR 15, one can be had for not much more, and there are tons of accessories for it, and mags are cheaper and more abundant?

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    old roommate had one.

picky on mags and didn't seem to be the most accurate for the price but it felt rugged and the new models have sight/barrel improvements IIRC.

snot rod

Hot Rodder Extraordinair
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    St. Amant
    Well, first off I would like to say thanks for the warm welcome and not bashing me for not knowing much about guns. I had a buddy that was a big gun nut and loved the mini 14's...so I was just getting some input from some others to see what they thought. I was also interested in the ar15 just haven't posted or searched it. A few others I am interested in would be the 1911 and a defense shotgun.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Well, first off I would like to say thanks for the warm welcome and not bashing me for not knowing much about guns. I had a buddy that was a big gun nut and loved the mini 14's...so I was just getting some input from some others to see what they thought. I was also interested in the ar15 just haven't posted or searched it. A few others I am interested in would be the 1911 and a defense shotgun.

Snot Rod,
    Everyone on this board (and other boards too, even though its hard to believe) was a noob at some point in time, and the only way to gain knowledge was to ask questions, and do research.
    IMHO, I'd look for an AR right now, for many reasons. Of the items on your short list, they would be the first one to get restricted due to a reinstatement of any kind of impending ban. Also, there is a TON of aftermarket parts for them and they are also pretty easy to work on/upgrade yourself with minor tools as well.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    welcome to the Bayou's Hooter.... what's a Mini-14? is that like boneless chicken wings? :D

I kid, I kid.... I have no experience with the Mini-14, but I may or may not have owned a AR-15 at one time and it may or may not have been lots of fun to have ;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Welcome.

I would also suggest the AR for all of the reasons listed above. magazines are more readily available as are after market parts.

Mini-14 is good, but I feel AR-15 is better for most applications.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    I personally have an Mini-14 NRA edition (completely black and 16" barrel instead of 18") I love it. Pretty much the only thing I've shoot through it is wolf ammo and I have never had any troblems. The ONLY time it every jammed on me was when i first bought it. In the first 20 shots the bolt was too tight and the ejecting bullet would get caught. All I had to do to fix this was oil it, and it never happened again. It is very accurate. I am not the most accurate shot, and i can shoot 1-2" groups at 100yrds, open site. The only thing is, like everyone said is the Mags. The No-Name brand ones aren't too great, but the ruger ones are really expensive. Although the mags are cheaper for an AR and there are ALOT more excessories I stil really love my Mini-14

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom