what's your opinion on the taurus judge .410/45lc as a home defense weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    A friend of mine was looking for a good home defense weapon, but really didn't like the recoil of my 18" 870 12 gauge, and was looking around at 20 gauge 870's when someone told him about the Judge, which shots 410 and 45LC. Anyone have any experience with this? I searched and saw theres a thread talking about the gun, but not really it's use in HD. I know the 410 only has a couple of pellets even in 000. Is this a practical HD weapon to replace a good old 12 or 20 gauge? I also saw some stuff about a new Raging one which also shuts the 454. Thanks!

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are a myriad of handguns that are much better suited for self-defense than the Judge. I wouldn't waste much time with it but there are many who put their money where their mouths are. Replacing a shotgun? Hell no. He could do as you were referring: 20 ga. Rem 870 with a Hogue Youth Stock and extended magazine tube and you've got yourself one helluva shotgun.

This is the setup I advocate for most women though few investigate it much less own it. Oh, well...

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    As I have said before here.....there are many guns that are better but with Winchesters new ammo made for the judge with the 3 slug disk with shot behind it....I think it will get the job done. I would not want to be on the business end of it for sure.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I think personally it is overrated as a gun, the round itself is weak unless shooting slugs and then it just becomes a pistol. and there are many that do better..

It is a movie gimmick taken out of context..

the recoil would not be felt under a home defense situation and he needs to remember that.. I am very sensitive to recoil myself and even the 20 out of the 870 beats me up but under stress i think I can manage.. much more..

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks, I'm going to push the 20 gauge. What do you guys think about just the Judge vs. your typical .357 revolver for practicality and efficiency in HD? Thanks again for the feedback!

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Plus the shotgun has the scare advantage, I'm sure most intruders would run at the sound of a good old 12 gauge being racked!

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    All joking aside, this is an entirely separate topic. All "racking" will do is tell the perp you have a gun which greatly increases his chances to shoot on sight. It's best to keep HD weapons in the safe and ready condition.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Mjolnir: (quote) "There are a myriad of handguns that are much better suited for self-defense than the Judge."

At usual home-defense distances, the .410 pattern is no larger than a steady pistol grouping, with much less impact energy and fewer rounds available.

Almost any modern semi-auto or revolver would make a better choice.

My choice is a GLOCK 21 with internal LaserMax; a James Loque "tactical 870", with strong, strobe like flashing tactical light is always nearby.

The Judge is a gimmick, whose time will never come; except for a mounted rider in snake country on a very steady horse or mule.

leVieux

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Go read the box of truth about the 410 shells.

And it's WAY bigger than it should be for a 45LC!

Bout the only way I'd have one is if someone gave me one.

And that would only be about long enough to sell it!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Do a search on XD , they flamed the Judge over there a couple weeks ago

I did see a U tube where they showed the effect of rifling on 00 Buck using a cardboard while shootin from the drivers seat out the passenger window, Judge was impressive in that

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I keep my judge in the truck.
    I like a round of #6 ready to rotate under the hammer, and 4 rounds of buckshot behind it.
    It's only value to me is a close up 'defend against an armed carjacker' weapon.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I love my Judge for what it is. I think it would be good for someone who does not get the practice they need. You dont have to aim quite as much and with the stress you would be under in a car or home defense situation it could work just fine.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl-ZIo-Wztc[/ame]

I would hate to be shot with that. Maybe some of you guys could take those two shots to the face and body......dont think I could.

And the Winchester PDX1 .410 Shells could get you some more distance.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIuI3heYMQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNP78hBwcs&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    It probably wouldn't be my preferred choice for home defense. But I think the most important factor is your friend. At the end of the day, the best choice for him is going to be the platform that he is most comfortable and capable with. While I'd much rather have a 12 ga., it won't do me any good if I can't handle it probably. All the rounds and platforms being discussed are capable of being lethal, your friend just has to find the one he operates with the most proficiency.
    But, like I said, the judge wouldn't be my first choice.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    There are a myriad of handguns that are much better suited for self-defense than the Judge. I wouldn't waste much time with it but there are many who put their money where their mouths are. Replacing a shotgun? Hell no. He could do as you were referring: 20 ga. Rem 870 with a Hogue Youth Stock and extended magazine tube and you've got yourself one helluva shotgun.

This is the setup I advocate for most women though few investigate it much less own it. Oh, well...

+1 on the 870 20ga. Excellent shotgun. My wife loves hers.

Top Bottom