what's your opinion on the taurus judge .410/45lc as a home defense weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    nice double-tap in slo-mo at about 1:02.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLvB-VeJvI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLvB-VeJvI&feature=related[/ame]

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the information everyone! The concept seems cool, just wasn't sure about how effective it really is. I'll push a good 20 gauge with maybe a different stock.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It's a gimmick gun. It's good for snakes. There is question about it's ability to penetrate due to the short barrel. I wouldn't buy one.

If he gets one anyways make sure it's a 3" chamber model and get the longest barrel you can.

A 6 inch barreled .357 Mag (or Glock 17 if he has to have an autoloader) plus a pump action 12 gauge are what I'd recommend. Learn when and how to apply them. If a 20 gauge is needed that's fine.

If the recoil is too much, the reduced recoil rounds will work fine.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I'd like to add a little bit to my earlier post. I am in the process of buying a Public Defender for a truck gun for my wife. It may be called a gimmick gun, but with a good round at 7 feet in the house, or 1 foot in the truck it should be hard to beat. I will always agree with the statement that " The purpose of a pistol is to fight your way to a long gun" but in the case of a truck gun there is not a need for the long gun since anything past hood distance we are gonna floor it and ram the hell out of it. Gotta love a full size.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    IMO it is a suitable home or vehicle defense gun if loaded with proper buckshot developed for this format (and/or 45 Colt rounds). For someone who is not going to practice regularly (most of my students) it is more forgiving (takes less practice to get projectiles on target), easier to retain than a 18" or 20" shotgun, and .410 buckshot offers less penetration of walls than some other HD rounds. It's not what I use but I tend to practice a bit more than the general gun-toting public. I would not be uncomfortable with this choice by a long shot.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I shot one out at Nick's a few months ago. I shot a mixed cylinder of .45LC and .410 buck. Not much recoil. .410 in a pistol would not be my first choice for home defense.
    .45LC is certainly a man stopper but again not the best choice for home defense. Its about the same as a .44 mag in power. Would you really want to clear your home with a .44 mag? How would your neighbors feel about that?
    Better a .45acp or .357 or a 12 guage or a .223 rifle with a soft point.

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    IMO it is a suitable home or vehicle defense gun if loaded with proper buckshot developed for this format (and/or 45 Colt rounds). For someone who is not going to practice regularly (most of my students) it is more forgiving (takes less practice to get projectiles on target), easier to retain than a 18" or 20" shotgun, and .410 buckshot offers less penetration of walls than some other HD rounds. It's not what I use but I tend to practice a bit more than the general gun-toting public. I would not be uncomfortable with this choice by a long shot.
    +2

With those new PDX1's with 3 watch battery slugs followed by pellets.. that bad guy is stopping in his tracks.. I under estimated a .410 until recently getting one for my son... That thing is nasty...I sure in the heck wouldnt want to be on the other end of that..

I think I would rather take my chances with a single 9mm to the chest than a 410 buck shot.... I mean Ive seen people knock a deer down with one... I think it would work fine for a human without over penetration...

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ok it's a big gun. Compare it with other revolvers of a similar size and weight. Not with 38 special snub nose revolvers. At three feet with a 44 Mag or 357 Mag or 41 Mag a water mellow shot by any of these would have the same results.

Dave

Top Bottom