When will Louisiana's new gun law go into effect?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    Volunteer?

I'm not sure that anyone will need to "volunteer". As much bad information that was spread by the people against this bill, some people around the state now believe that it is perfectly ok for them to carry concealed without a permit and eventually, whether on purpose or not, someone will get caught and possibly go to jail and may get backing from a pro-gun lawyer that wants to make a name for himself and do the work for little to no money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    What about the state approval for class three. Surely that won't stand up to strict scrutiny.

CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    How would this amendment effect the Louisiana citizens who have a non-resident out of state cwp?
    There's no way that that law will stand strict scrutiny as it is solely to generate revenue.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    All of your questions should be forwarded to New Orleans District Attorney Leon Cannizarro; he knows EVERYTHING about this law! :mamoru:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    This was to strengthen the law pertaining to the right to keep and bear arms in the state constitution and nothing more . It does not negate the process of getting a concealed carry permit, purchasing a full automatic weapon, etc.

Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    This was to strengthen the law pertaining to the right to keep and bear arms in the state constitution and nothing more . It does not negate the process of getting a concealed carry permit, purchasing a full automatic weapon, etc.

But those are things which infringe upon that right, even if only to a degree. The amendment does not immediately negate them, but it certainly provides solid grounds for a challenge to those laws in court.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    But those are things which infringe upon that right, even if only to a degree. The amendment does not immediately negate them, but it certainly provides solid grounds for a challenge to those laws in court.

You could challenge it before. It's just the venue has changed.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The article says that they are seeking to dismiss. the "law" isnt even in effect yet, so how could they attempt this? That would be like if someone got arrested for murder today, and tomorrow they made murder legal. The individual still broke the law when it was in effect, so the new law wouldnt cover said murderer.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The article says that they are seeking to dismiss. the "law" isnt even in effect yet, so how could they attempt this? That would be like if someone got arrested for murder today, and tomorrow they made murder legal. The individual still broke the law when it was in effect, so the new law wouldnt cover said murderer.
    I don't care about the murderer but if this gets a judge to rule some gun restriction unconstitutional, hooray for us law abiding people who don't have to go to court to prove a law unconstitutional.

Let the stupid criminals test **** for us. Plenty of volunteers.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Possession of what I wonder. The article doesn't give much info on it.
    Cannizzaro said the effects are already being felt, as defense attorneys in a local gun possession case filed a motion to dismiss, Thursday – a strategy that was based on Tuesday's vote.
    I find it really strange that nothing has come out yet on details on what plans to be done with this. I'm really wondering if the tards knew what they were doing when they put it on the ballot. The wording really opens doors.

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    'scuse me? Tards?

Don't tell me you're one of those "reasonable gun control" advocates.
    ... oh no!. I was just simply reffering to politicians in general. Seems like they could have ironed out some of the details and had a planed release for what it would change in detail to avoid confusion.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    ... oh no!. I was just simply reffering to politicians in general. Seems like they could have ironed out some of the details and had a planed release for what it would change in detail to avoid confusion.
    Oh, I gotcha.

I think when it comes to the Constitution... you don't know. It's supposed to be somewhat simply stated. It's application will be molded by the people and the judges. Both fortunate and unfortunate.

To have someone stand up and list the gun laws that would be dropped if challenged would be foolhardy as you can't predict the future, and having a judge study up and do all the work to rule on it "if he had to" would be impractical.

That's my thinking.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Or maybe the gun advocates that crafted this thing knew exactly what would happen, knew it would be used to challenge some unconstitutional laws, but worded it benignly so that it wouldn't scare the hell out of the sheeple and the CCW Instructors.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Or maybe the gun advocates that crafted this thing knew exactly what would happen, knew it would be used to challenge some unconstitutional laws, but worded it benignly so that it wouldn't scare the hell out of the sheeple and the CCW Instructors.
    I was thinking this exact thing. Seems like they acted like they were cracking a window and tore off a wall instead.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was thinking this exact thing. Seems like they acted like they were cracking a window and tore off a wall instead.
    Well I dunno about that.

Trying to get back to "shall not be infringed" type ideals is what it is. It's plainly stated. Anyone who starts "What if"ing it is providing their own level of speculation.

What about State registration?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom