Where to live in the New Orleans area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I may be taking a job in the New Orleans area. Where are good places to live? I am single with no kids and want an apartment first to make sure I like the company and whatnot. Any advice and opinions are appreciated.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Where will you be working and how far of a commute do you want/can you deal with? Also, do you have any friends in the area...part of the reason I didn't move far out of the city. No one likes to drive out to visit.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I dont really have any close friends living in the city. I will be working for a construction company so my projects will be all over the city and surrounding areas. I was told the first project I will be on is in uptown, wherever that is.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Uptown = mansions next door to crack houses. It's very hit or miss. Get with someone who really knows the area or do a thorough drive-by before you sign any leases!

It's a very cool area though.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Agreed with speed. If you are much of a partier/want the night life, look uptown/mid-city. Otherwise I would suggest Metairie or Harahan/Elmwood/River Ridge.

Any place we tell you is hit or miss as they all have bad spots. Lakeview would be nice too if you can find a small place that is affordable.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I dont really care about partying. I would rather a place that isnt too expensive and is safe. It would also be nice to be able to meet people at somewhere other than the bars.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    You should look to join some local young groups like 504ward or YLC in the area. I think they are pretty good for meeting people.

Start shopping for a place well ahead of when you plan on moving and feel free to PM me for an opinion of an area. I'm a transplant as well, so I'm not super familiar with the city. There is a website http://www.mylocalcrime.com/ where you can check for recent crimes. I would check out what the crimes actually are too (instead of only looking at the red dots) because I know a lot of them in my 'hood are people calling the cops for suspicious persons or elderly people setting off their own alarms. And I consider my neighborhood very safe.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Uptown = mansions next door to crack houses. It's very hit or miss. Get with someone who really knows the area or do a thorough drive-by before you sign any leases!

It's a very cool area though.

+1

It is Hit or Miss. I live in the city and love it. Lived in the Garden District and Uptown. Currently live uptown in a nice neighborhood. However the Garden District was another story. It is awesome being able to walk outside and watch a Mardi Gras parade. I can also walk down the street and can grab a burger or a slice of pizza.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Metairie isn't bad in most places. Kenner isn't either and it's only on the other side of Metairie and both have I-10 running through them so getting into N.O. is not a huge deal (depending on traffic). I lived in Metairie for several years where 10 crosses Veteran's Blvd.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The Saulet, the largest apartment complex in the City, is pretty safe, has lots of safe, covered parking (which is very, very important here), is centrally located, and is full of hot chicks. Come see my little buddy, Corey Francis, ths asst manager @ the Saulet; 1420 Annunciation St. New Orleans, LA 70130 ♦ T: 888.461.4170 ♦ Google "The Saulet" and check out the website.

The parking here is mostly covered and secure. I can't emphasize how important this is in N.O.

There is no really safe part of town. You must stay alert and armed. You'll quickly learn which areas to avoid. Check out NolaCop's website, "NolaTac".

Housing is still very expensive here, and safe housing is even more expensive. Be prepared to be shocked by the prices.

When you visit, pick up a few of the local free papers; The Gambit, the Levee, etc, for young folks orientation. There is always lots of entertainment & constant partying of all kinds.

Bienvenu a Nouvelle Orleans !

leVieux

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Safety, commute and cost of living are all factors. We've lived on the Westbank, Chalmette, and Mandeville and enjoyed each. Remember, you are working out of New Orleans. Where and how do you want to live. What will you be doing once you get off of work? All of those Communities listed above are good. Your salary might dictate location.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Slidell has some nice sections also in wide variety of prices. I'm in Metairie now though (its more convenient to work).

PM GBundersea. He can send you some rental listings...

Top Bottom