Why do people feel the need to Bump WTS ads once a day ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The search feature in this older version of VB is pretty awful. It really doesn't index well and does a terrible job of finding what you are looking for. We are in the talks of upgrading to a newer version of VB or a different software all together. More to come soon. For now though, Google's site search should work.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I post WTS ads on here and sell a few things, but I'm pretty sure I buy more than I sell.
    Are some of you really complaining about people and their ad management?
    Did I notice some whining about WTS ads? I'm thinking I did. I'm grimacing and shaking my head right now. Of all the things...

I'd wager that a large portion of the hits on this site are buy, sell and trade oriented. Most of the time I spend on here relates to that. If I'm not mistaken, advertisers consider the volume of visits to this site when taking out ads, which generates revenue for the site...
    Aw screw it. Carry on.

Edit: I gotta admit, I do occasion this site for the priceless entertainment and hope for a daily dose of internet abuse.

Now, if you guys will excuse me, I think I have an ad I need to go bump.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Magdump, your response was very entertaining and I have no issue with it one bit. Now, if you dont mind, please get busy and start posting some more "fishnet stocking" paint jobs please! I am thinking about getting with you to do a possible paint job on one of mine if you wouldnt mind and would be interested in the challenge.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Magdump, your response was very entertaining and I have no issue with it one bit. Now, if you dont mind, please get busy and start posting some more "fishnet stocking" paint jobs please! I am thinking about getting with you to do a possible paint job on one of mine if you wouldnt mind and would be interested in the challenge.
    Will do Fanatic! Just wait til you see my diamondback rattler project!
    Gimme another couple warm dry days off brother and I'll post up pics of that AR

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I like the small smiley face (emogi?) instead of Bump or ttt. I feel like it mocks me, as I am obviously interested in the sale item enough to look inside. However, 9 times out of 10, I find that the seller is looking for a ftf, no travel, and lives about 6 hours away...

I will often update my ads with pertinent info, then bump it so that it will go to the top so others can read the new info. I only do this when I get a few pms with the same question, figure it is important enough to add.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Why do people feel the need to Bump WTS ads once a day ?

Because they can't bump it twice a day. If the the limit was 4 times a day some would do it.

Maybe it is smart to bump it and get it sold.

One aspect of when members were allowed respond to for sale threads was it would automatically bump it. Got a free bump just by responding.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The search feature in this older version of VB is pretty awful. It really doesn't index well and does a terrible job of finding what you are looking for. We are in the talks of upgrading to a newer version of VB or a different software all together. More to come soon. For now though, Google's site search should work.

Sometimes I wonder if the dysfunctional search feature is probably not a terrible thing. Heaven forbid people being able to easily find some of the horrible crap I have written in this place! :p

And speaking of the past; shouldn't enough time have passed on the fence litigation fiasco where we can re-visit that epic? ;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I beg to differ on the search... I'm familiar with vBulletin and how it works... the "Advanced Search" is probably more of what you're looking for, however, the search is only as good as the content in the posts. For example, if you search for "AR-15" you get no results (probably because it is searching very specifically for "AR" and "15" and these search functions don't do well with hyphens) which would produce too many responses (due to the fact that every post number, image, etc. that includes the number 15 or every instance of "AR" appearing... like cAR, cellAR, bAR, etc)... however, if you search for AR15, you get plenty of results... More often than not, users aren't addressing things in the same way or even consistently each time they address it.

I have an NAA firearm in the Classifieds... if I search for North American Arms, it shows... if I search for NAA, it doesn't (because I don't mention "NAA" anywhere in the post. The search engine of these bulletin boards simply searches the database for matching groups of letters... it's not a mind-reader.

So, bottom line is, the search engine works, but its a two party system... the person creating the post should take the search engine into consideration when they format their post... search engines don't normally do well with abbreviations, acronyms, misspellings, etc. Its a rudimentary function of a script... it's not google. That's why when you search here, you don't get "Oh, did you mean this?... XXXXXXXX... because that's what we are listing for you".

If you go to google, and type "site:www.bayoushooter.com **YOUR SEARCH TEXT HERE**", providing it is indexed through all the threads, it performs a very detailed response, however, chances are they are ordered by popularity, and what Google thinks you're searching for... and not necessarily by date. It may also not be as up-to-date as the actual site search because google only crawls on a schedule... not every minute.

Searching for "AR-15" resulted in 7,580 responses through Google Search.

Hope it helps.

That is great advice, but I refuse to utilize Google for anything other than their maps. They are personal info gathering and selling scumbags! And worse, they are all phony America hating democrats. F them!

I will try your suggestion on the search engine I use; duckduckgo! If it works, fine! If not, I can keep harassing Austin about this inherent disaster of a search function. :mamoru:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    That is great advice, but I refuse to utilize Google for anything other than their maps. They are personal info gathering and selling scumbags! And worse, they are all phony America hating democrats. F them!

I will try your suggestion on the search engine I use; duckduckgo! If it works, fine! If not, I can keep harassing Austin about this inherent disaster of a search function. :mamoru:

BING works in the same way if you'd prefer... BUT, Google won't let you do it from their browser...

Unfortunately it doesn't work from the address bar in IE, so you have to actually go to http://www.bing.com and then put site:www.bayoushooter.com **YOUR SEARCH CRITERIA HERE** in the search box.

The same goes for http://www.yahoo.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom