Working on a Concept for a New Military Rifle Match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    For more serious match ideas (that's what it sounds like you're looking for) skim through this blog.

http://jeffersonian.therealgunguys.com/

I looked at the sight. The matches he speaks of are far from what people view as serious matches. In fact the CMP terms matches of this type as "Games" to distinguish them from actual matches. That being said, the targets and course of fire that I propose is much easier than the "matches" described on that website.

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    We'll probably have different classes. For instance, if I shoot my Garand, 03A3, and a K31 and Dan shoots a Garand, P17, and a K31, then we'd both compete for the 3-rifle aggregate and also best score with a K31 in one stage.

I don't want this to be too competitive, but I do want to reward people for good scores. I will probably give back the majority of the money in prizes (I'm assuming I'll be match director since I seem to always be match director, DAN). Anyway, the club will need to get $5 per person, but I'll make sure that we have some money to give back to competitors in the way of prizes. We'll probably charge $12 for non-members (of Palo Alto) and $10 for members. All but $5 from each person will be given as prizes as long as we have at least 3 people in each category. We might also want to have some sort of basic classificaiton system, which may be as simple as two classes: guys who routinely shoot competitive high power rifle matches and those who don't. If you have an NRA high power rifle classification, you will be in the former and if you don't you'll be in the latter. We may break it down further for those guys with a classification, so that Marksman class shooters are not competing against High Master shooters.

Just some thoughts, but don't be scared it you don't compete. It will be FUN no matter what. And, you can watch Dan make fun of me all day as well.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dan, you need to change your picture to include both your Distinguish Rifleman medal and your President's 100 medal.

I changed the picture of my DR medal to distinguish it from Buck's because he isn't P100. :rofl:

It sounds like we have a few takers for the "organized plinking" (not match). I need to pick out some rifles and see if they shoot straight so can be ready for Jay.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I am going to shoot my new M1, a 96 Swede and a K31. The K31 is the only one of the bunch that I have fired before, but never beyond 200 yds. It should be interesting.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I would be much more interested if it was closer to me. I'm not a morning person to begin with and it would be about a 2 hour drive each way.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I would like to give it a try. One request though for us New Orleans area shooters, don't start at 8am! Donaldsonville is not right around the corner.

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I would like to give it a try. One request though for us New Orleans area shooters, don't start at 8am! Donaldsonville is not right around the corner.

Guys! I live in Slidell and I'm match director for high power at Palo Alto. I get up at 4:30 to drive over and be there in time to start registering people for the matches. I have not died yet.

We start early because (A) it gets really hot and you have to remember that a 3 X 20 shot match will take several hours to run, as we will have to have at least 2 relays so that one relay is in the pitts and one is on the line, (B) he winds get tough in the afternoon, and (C) the range faces west and you will have the sun in your eyes after 3:00 PM.

Sorry, but we'll start registration at 7:30 and then the match around 8:30.

Jay

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    It's a 3 hr. drive for me, and if I had my druthers, I'd start shooting at sunrise. Then again, us old guys don't sleep much,,:p. Honestly, like Jay says, it gets really hot in the afternoon no matter where you are, plus you can be headed home in time to still mow grass for the wife. That way, she won't complain when your gone all day doin "your thing." Just make sure you don't wake her, sneak outta bed, and turn the alarm off so she gets to sleep late! :D

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yesterday I called a guy to find out how early I need to get to a match to help put out the targets.
    Everybody thanks the guys that put on the match, but it is a thankless job. It is one thing to thank the guy and a whole nother to actually do something to help.

The regular guys make the matches at the regular times all the time.

Whatever time the folks that put the match on seem fit is not even a question to me. I don't live next to the range either.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I would be much more interested if it was closer to me. I'm not a morning person to begin with and it would be about a 2 hour drive each way.

You guys are kidding me, right? If not, I am stunned to the point of being unable to find the words. :wtc:

Top Bottom